Silly question about case lube

UN , if you keep recommending that M-die I just may have to get one . You’ve been recommending that die for as long as I can remember . I figure 5 , 10 more years and I’ll be ready

My brother was convinced on the M die use and bought me one (of course he charged me for it). Mine was 30 caliber and I have it marked for 30-06, 308 and 7.5 Swiss for the right depth without expanding (I tri trim the cases and you pretty well can't get no boat tail target bullets)

I had to wait for my 6.5 mm for 5 months but finally got it.

The extra step is not a big deal and takes only a few minutes to run through 100 cases.

The Lyman "M" die body is the middle die in their 3 die pistol sets and has been available by itself probably for as long as they've been making 7/8x14 thread dies.

The die body is bored large, larger than any standard cartridge case, and does not touch the case anywhere, and all the die bodies are the same. The difference is the expander stem, which is a two step design, the lower part expands the resized case back to correct size and the upper "step" flares the case mouth. It is easily adjusted to only expand, or expand and flare. The expander stem is also a standard size and only the tips (which thread into the stem) are sized for the caliber desired. You can take an M die from a .44Mag set and swap the expander to .357 (or any other caliber) and it works just fine.

It was never a powder through die, and indeed was designed way before such things ever existed, or were even thought of.

If Uncle Nick says they have a powder through die under a different name, then they do. I've not bothered to keep up on those items since I gave up on progressive loaders about 20 years ago,,,,

44 years ago I started to lube with RCBS lube and their pad. I used to clean the cases with carburetor cleaner before I learned I could tumble them. I discovered Hornady One Shot and to this day I put 5-10 cases on a RCBS pad, spray with One Shot, give them a roll, resize, and clean off in the tumbler.

I have never had a case get stuck in the die, and I have never lubed a handgun case when using a carbide die.

Back