Silly question about case lube

pathdoc

Once you've put it on, how long is it good for?

It's more an academic question, because I've usually done a cycle of lube five, size five, repeat; I'm just curious.

My particular context is that I'm full-length resizing .223 Remington and/or .303 British with Hornady Unique lube.

(Before you say anything, I cannot be completely certain that all of the cases were fired in my current rifles and I know some them definitely weren't; otherwise I would be neck sizing.)

This is an interesting question because I’ve pondered it myself. I know the lanolin and alcohol mixture last at least a couple days because I’ve waited that long before sizing but other than that I don’t know . My guess is that not many people are going to know how long lube last on a case because we all apply it shortly before we’re going to size for the simple fact of having a bunch of sticky lubed cases hanging around begging to attract dirt and debris is not a good idea

. I can say this, I’ve put hundreds of cases in a plastic tub and sprayed them with lube and it was good for many hours of sizing. I guess the question I have is what’s the purpose of the question . Did you forget you lubed some cases a year ago or is it that you’re just afraid if you lube 100 cases it may dry off or evaporate before you get to all the cases ?

Last edited:
I would say as long as the lube isn't getting tacky, it should be okay. That would probably depend on temperature and the lube starting to dry. I don't lube until I'm ready to resize. I take a shell and roll it over a pad saturated in lube, then resize. Repeat the process.

There has been trouble with some of the aerosol lubes if you don't let them dry long enough. The thinning solvents actually make them less viscous and poorer lubes. The wipe-on ones would have to be out a long time to lose their lubrication properties. The biggest threat from leaving lubed cases out would be picking up dust and grit that affect the dies adversely. For that reason, leaving them out more than a few days probably doesn't make good sense.

Once I size a case, I've run them through a few times rotating. A new case is another story. I've used Hornady oneshot, and not let them sit long, just the prescribed time. Imperial wax, is something else, or the like. Letting them sit too long, try it and find out when you get a stuck case, you'll never do that again. If you load, lube and size. If you think your gonna get interrupted don't lube until your ready for sure to size. On board with Unclenick, no good.

I use the RCBS lube and pad on high volume stuff, and have sized 223 cases with a small base die first, then the next day or so (2 or 3 days maybe) I have proceeded to make either 20 Practical or 6x45 brass without re-lubing the cases. I did store the lubed cases in a covered plastic tub that was not airtight, just a snap on lid container. I did not have any stuck cases, and don't remember any cases that even hinted at getting stuck.

When I grabbed the first few cases with "clean" hands, the brass cases still felt slick or oily if that is the correct term even though the RCBS lube is water soluble.

I use cardboard and finishing nails to stand up cases so they won't fall over while spraying.

They don't fall over really but I used a dedicated case tray and set that on a large paper target or cardboard to catch the overspray when I used One shot or other commercial spray lubes .

I have been using One Shot since it first came out. If I remember right it say's on the can to let it dry. I never lube more than 50 case's and a time. If I had case's I didn't get to till the next day I'd re-lube just to be sure.

Those 223 and 303 Brit's that were fired in a different gun, run them through your action and it the bolt close's easily, neck size. I like to neck size case's till the bolt won't close on them and then partial size just enough for the bolt to easily close. Once the die is set to partial size I dedicate it to that rifle and never fool with it again. Get another 223, i'd get a new set of dies with it and dedicate them to that rifle.

The other thing you can always do is dilute some Lee case lube in alcohol and pump-spray it on. It is basically a dry lube and you can let it dry out completely and it will still work the same months later. It's not as slick as the greasy or oily lubes are, though. In the past, I've applied a light spray onto cases and then a few days later applied a standard spray lube over top of it before resizing. I've used this for extra no-stuck-case insurance with range foundling cases that turned out to need a lot of extra sizing effort.

I used the sticky lube in a tube and a pad from Lyman/RCBS that was available in the 70s, for years. Cleaned the lube off with lighter fluid soaked old towel, let air dry (outdoors, on the back porch). Worked.

tried the Hornady One shot aerosol. One shot was not enough! Following the instructions, it didn't lube my brass enough. Doing it twice usually did. Passed on it. Probably have a partial can floating around, somewhere... :rolleyes:

I've been using the RCBS stuff in a pump spray bottle for several years now. Works great. I use a model plane/tank box top spread the brass out (does 50-100 at a time) 3-4 pumps, wait a few minutes, stir, repeat, size. Works great for me. Toss brass in tumbler, when it comes out, lube gone.

There might be a better product or a better way, but mine works well enough I'm not looking...;)

The lanolin in that mixture wont evaporate-alcohol obviously yes.

Redding wax wont either. Other prop brands ??? Do a couple of 10 case comparisons, 6 hrs, 1 day 2 days-1 week and let us know.

Back