Silencers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suppressors und Silencers ist verbotten auf der U.S.A.

And they are unlawful too, unless of course you hold a Class 3 National Firearms Act permit.

If you want to deaden the sound so that the neighbors can't hear you shooting, line up 6 old tires, touching each other and tie them tightly together. Put your pistol muzzle within the first one and the sound will not carry. Perfectly legal. Just remember to wash out the tire casings every so often so they do not collect unburned powder or you will have a nasty fire. This is cheaper than soundproofing your basement, which is also not forbidden (yet) by Federal Laws.

Yes, it is legal to own silencers/ suppressors if your State allows it. They are in the same category as NFA weapons (Class 3)such as machine guns. Go to www.gem-tech.com/legal.html for information. There are several companies that make them such as Gemtech (www.gem-tech.com). A good source of info is Tom Bower's Board (www.subguns.com).

As the last post states...
It is legal to possess(own) silencers in CLASS 3 states (i.e. TX, FLA. KY etc;etc ;)

To obtain silencers and other class 3 items (i.e. MACHINE GUNs) it is a very timely and expensive process for private citizens...

NFA rules require a one time $200 tax on CLASS 3 ITEM...

MUST get CLEO letter, which is documentation of approval from CHIEF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER in your city/county etc;

This is very difficult...
The CLEO is liable if class 3 weapon is used in illegal act...

MUST get BATF FORM 4, which is basically a federal background check and NFA registration of CLASS 3 item...

Again, in CLASS 3 states it is legal to own tightly controlled weapons & accessories (machineguns & silencers)...

It is however not practical for the average person...

It takes a whole lotta $$$...

FOOTNOTE: Since the advent of NFA registry of CLASS 3 weapons for private ownership, only ONE illegal act has been commited with that weapon!!! The ACT was committed by a LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER!!!

------------------
SURE SHOT

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited October 25, 1999).]

It is not that difficult in states that allow possession of Title II firearms and/or silencers. Nor is it especially time consuming, although a month is about average, more is common. Even in states that ban machineguns, silencers are often legal or vice versa.

The CLEO is not liable under any law for an applicant's future action, though the CLEO could, I guess, be sued. (Is there anyone who hasn't been sued for something?)

Technically at least, there is no "permit". The Form 4 is an application to transfer and register, not a license or permit.

Jim

It is a very curious thing that the states ban a device that would actually attenuate the only truly absolutely harmful effect of otherwise safely handling a firarm. How many tens of thousands of people have suffered irreparable hearing loss from firing firearms? Why, exactly, do we need to keep them deafened? How can anyone show me that this makes firearms SAFER? I absolutely can show how silencers make a firearm safer. People need to think about this stuff.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

> NFA rules require a one time $200 tax on CLASS 3 ITEM. <

Not on the item, itself, but on the transfer of the item. So, if you are going to buy it and keep it, it is a one time tax. However, if you sell it, the next consumer has to pay it again.

I believe some CLEOs have refused to sign off on Form 4s by claiming that they don't want to be liable for the misuse of the items, but that is a BS argument. The certification they sign states:
I certify that I am the CLEO of the organization named below having jurisdiction in the area of residence of (applicant's name). I have no information indicating that the transferee will use the firearm or device described on this application for other than lawful purposes. I have no information that the receipt and/or possession of the firearm described in item 4 of this form would place the transferee in violation of State or local law.

------------------
TB., NC
rosie.acmecity.com/bebe/6/index.html

[This message has been edited by Tim Burke (edited October 26, 1999).]

Long Path,
We are on exactly the same page here. I am amazed that the same body of laws says you get fined for makeing a car, motorcycle or boat loader, that fines you for playing your radio or CD player too load, regulates the noise level of airports etc, demands that you make you gun as noisy as possible. It really does fly in the face of logic. Maybe we could bring a class action against BATF for mandateing laws that damage our health and hearing.

Go to any of your local gun stores and ask about Class III purchases. Laws vary from State to State. Also ask about the effectiveness of supressors. Some work, some don't. Lots of variables. Figure on a mountain of red tape to get one, and a big question mark as far as how effective it will be. That hollywood hiss that comes out of a supposed silenced revolver is just so much crap and gun control hype.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited October 26, 1999).]

I got it, sue the government for all the hearing loss due to firearms! They made it too restrictive for all Americans to get all of the hearing protecting that modern technology can provide. :)

Later
Daren

Suppressors were only included in the NFA of 1934 at the request of game wardens who feared that poachers would use them at night and out of season to hide their activity.

There was another misuse of a legal C3 weapon besides the LEO doing a mob hit in Detroit with a department weapon. It was a suicide in Tenn. in the late 1960's or early '70's.

One of my hopes as a Representative would be to remove suppressors from the C3 status so it would be easier for people to set up basement ranges without disturbing the neighbors.

Cenier and AWC are some of the best suppressor mfg's in the country. They both run ads in the Shotgun news. And MFG of new silencers is NOT covered by the manufacturing ban on new machine guns/assault rifles.

They can probably also help you with the transfer tax, etc.

Dr.Rob

There is no such thing as a Class 3 weapon. The dealer's class is determined by which tax he pays. Class 3 tax allows the dealer to sell firearms covered by the National Firearms Act. These are properly referred to as NFA weapons rather than class 3 weapons. It's easy to get NFA weapons in states that respect the 1st amendment such as Virginia. Talk to a class 3 dealer, make purchase arrangements, fill out your forms, get fingerprinted, get the sheriff or chief of police to sign "that he knows of no reason that you should not" possess the firearm, and wait, wait, wait. When the BATF approves it you take possesion of the NFA weapon.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MikeD (edited October 27, 1999).]

Yes MikeD, but aren't some NFA weapons Class VI? AOW (C6) with a $5 transfer as opposed to C3 with $200 transfer, yet both are NFA restricted.

Jeff OTMG
I think you may have missed my point. Dealers are classed. Weapons are either covered by the National Firearms Act (NFA) or not. The category Any Other Weapon (AOW) covers things like a short BBL shotguns or pen guns. i.e. - not a machine gun, silencer, or destructive device. The way I remember it is that "regular" FFL dealers are class 1. Manufacturers and dealers of NFA weapons are class 2. Dealers who do not manufacture are class 3. So refering to a class 3 wepon is not the correct term.

------------------

Aside from all the info you have gotten. I suggest you contact John's Guns in Palastine, TX. He is a gentleman of the first order. Also his suppressed guns have won numberous contests. He has a web site.

Cheers,

ts

Right Mike!

A short barrelled shotgun is a $200 transfer fee. The AOW $5 fee applies to a smooth bore pistol. An Ithica Stakeout is $5, smooth bore pistol (13" barrel), put a full stock on it and it becomes a SBS and needs a $200 stamp. A Remington 870 shotgun cut down to Witness dimensions is a SBS and is $200. Once a shotgun, always a shotgun. If it left the manufacturer in pistol configuration, then you can get AOW classification for it.

I just read up on an interesting aspect of Class III items, particularly silencers.

You apparantly do not need a CLEO to sign off for BATF IF you run it through a corporation.

This means if you've got a small Sub-S corp, you can get the transfer without the hassle.

Joseph

I have a silencer for a M11. Getting one was just the same process as getting a machine gun - getting a JOhn Hancock from the local Sheriff, paying 200 bucks for the fed tax, and waiting forever for the FBI to do their thing.

The whole process, I beleive, is mainly a money-making scheme for the government.

Incedently, if you are getting a signature from the sheriff for something like this, don't dress like you just stepped out of San Quentin, dress to look like an upstanding citizen of the local community.

[This message has been edited by lucky085 (edited November 19, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back