Silencers for Rifles: Who Makes the Best?

Anthony

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the marketing for a silencer for a custom AR-10 and a couple of other rifles chambered for .308 Winchester.

Who makes the best silencers for rifles on the market?

Thanks for the help.

- Anthony

there is no simplistic answer to this. any recognizable manuf is a contender and
you'll need to consider size, weight, attenuation, etc. but also, bear in mind
that using a semi-auto as the platform isn't the best choice...too many clickety
clacking and whooshing going on. but as long as you accept the drawbacks
then i guess you'll be happy with less than full rifle bark. you may also want to
head over to Uzitalk and Silencertest (both, dot com) to see and ask others who
may have outfitted similarly.

Thank you for the links...I would still like to hear from anyone who has any personal experience with a specific brand or company.

- Anthony

I have an AAC Cyclone screw mount that I use on my Savage 110FP
http://www.advanced-armament.com/products/rifles/cyclone.asp
It is effective, tightened the groups, and has been trouble free.
Savage110wCyclone.jpg

Mgracer, other than having dreams about stalking 'that guy' who cut you off in traffic, what do you actually do with it? Very nice.

I find that shooting with a suppressor is much more neighborly for myself and those who are shooting around me. It eliminates the muzzle blast and significantly reduces the recoil (not that recoil is an issue with the Savage with the heavy stock) An added benefit on this already accurate gun is that the suppressor tightened the groups. Oh -- I really don't have those kind of dreams -- life is too short to waste it on worrying about getting cut off. :)

I take it the $795 price tag doesn't include the tax, correct?

That would be correct. However, I would talk with your dealer to see what price he will quote you since the $795 is retail and he may either add fees or give you a small break.

Last edited:
I'm not looking at that specific one, actually, I'm looking for an affordable .22 supressor, but that $200 tax is killing me!

You can get into a Tactical Innovations TAC65 .22lr suppressor for as little as $170 plus the $200 stamp. Less than $400 for a .22 can is pretty sweet. They are not too bad of a can either. Very quiet and easy to maintain.

The tactical innovations inc website had a much higher price, but they also sold novelty condoms, so could you link me to a better source?

Sorry about the condom thing. I didn't know that they peddled that kind of item on their site. Anyway, a dealer in Indiana stocks them and lists them on Gunbroker at VERY low prices. I have spoken to the dealer several times and he seems like a pretty good guy to deal with. I don't think he has any listed now, but if you like, I can try to dig up his email address for you.

nick

Oh, I didn't take it offensivly, but you do have to admit...It's hard to take a silencer mfg. seriously when they sell novelty condoms on their site.

What, you wouldn't buy condoms if they had them at your gunstore?...They could put a lil sign on the fishbowl that reads:

Make up for all the guns you bought.

2 fer a dollar.

Good point, but a gun store is generalized, they have masses of accessories and non-gun related things. You'd think a class II mfg. could make enough and money and use up their extra time in many ways better than selling cheap condoms that would make most men shiver at the thought of actual use.

I shot the Cyclone the other day, now I have one on order for my 308 bolt gun. I am also looking at getting one for my 223 bolt gun, I just picked up a GAP 223 wearing an A5.

I've got the Gem-tech Piranha for .223. On the AR-15, it takes the sound down to about the level of a firecracker. Most of that is sonic crack. On the Contender it's about the same to the ear.

Most subsonic ammunition voids the warranty as Gemtech states that most will subsonic .223 ammo will not stabilize-resulting in damage to the suppressor. There is a company they recommend but it slips my mind at present.

With the .22 upper, it really lets you in on the ammo's quality control. One shot will be about as loud as one of those poppers you throw on the pavement. The next shot will be softer than an air rifle with the mechanism being the loudest sound.

Be aware that in suppressing a "gas gun" like the AR you'll wind up having to clean it at least twice as often. The increased back pressure causes more gunk to be blown into the chamber. I've been considering purchasing a .308 semi-auto for suppression but haven't found a platform I'm happy with.

I own a Gem-tech can and one by Tac-ord(since out of business I think). I'm happy with them. Also be aware of carbon fowling when shopping for any quick release adapters. My GemTech Bi-Lok is now semi-permanently affixed to the mount due to this. There's also some blowback thru the seams in the quick detach area. Always wear eye protection.

Subsonic .223 Rem.

Byron,

I didn't even know Subsonic .223 even existed! Are there alot of manefacturers? And what bullet wieght are there?

Back