[sigh] Possible? Shots from TX School Book Depository, November, 1963

Nestor--

THANK YOU! Now, when was it done? I think I'm going to write to CBS on this one, to see if they can get me a transcript, or sumpin'.

Regards,
L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

I happened to be writing a paper for a history course concerning the JFK shoot shortly after the Ayoob article concerning the lefty shooters came out. I, too, shoot lefty altho I am right handed, due to left eye dominance. Oswald was known by some, including his brother, to shoot lefty. Conspiracy theorists like to point out that the scope on the Carcano was set up for a lefty, as well. 1+1=2, no? Additionally, the angle was difficult for a righty, yet ideal for a lefty, which explains why he didn't shoot the "easier" oncoming angle.

Further, only two shots were hits, the first shot missed and hit near a curb, most likely due to the shooter's excitement. The second shot hit Kennedy in the back of the neck and exited through his tie knot, which constricted the flesh so that that exit wound looked similar to an entrance wound. (Much of the info on wounds was found in various JAMA articles on the subject.) This same bullet, the so-called "magic bullet", passed through Kennedy's neck, deflecting slightly off his vertabrae, then on to hit Connelly in the back, through his tie (you can actually see the tie move on the Zapruder film) into his right wrist which was pushing against his left thigh as Connelly turned to look toward the sound of the shots, then stopped in his thigh. This bullet, an FMJ, had a higher sectional density than the 7mm bullets Bell used to kill elephants. BTW, Kennedy's vertabrae wound caused his hands and arms to involuntarily fly up, looking like he was clutching his throat. There is a medical term for this reaction which escapes me now, but the reaction is clearly visible on the Zapruder film. This wound to the neck would have left Kennedy paralyzed, if not dead, according to the medical journal articles I read.

The third shot was the head shot. A man named Lassiter investigated the Kennedy shooting, and published several articles on the subject. He even obtained human skulls, filled them with ballistic gelatin, and shot them with Carcano's at the same range and angle as the head shot. The skulls were sitting on a stool. All the skulls were blown back toward the shooter by the evacuating gelatin.

Oswald could have made the shots, and the shots he could have made would have made the same types of wounds.

Finally, if Oswald didn't shoot, why did he leave the building, go change his jacket and grab a .38 revolver, and head downtown where on the way he shot and killed a police officer. Then he was apprehended inside a theater with the revolver, which he had reloaded at the scene of the shooting. Interesting behavior for an innocent man.

Ipecac,

I don't think anyone here ever made the claim Oswald was framed or anything. Just wondering about the timing of the shots and the possibility of one shooter making them.

------------------
Byron Quick

Spartacus, I wasn't implying that anyone had said Oswald was framed, I was merely adding that as a final piece of evidence against him.

Albin said "Someone who is or has been in the USMC would have to tell us how good a shooter someone would have to be to earn this badge."

I can help here. [I'm having déjà vu all over again - I thought I already posted this]

There are four rifle ratings in the Corps, from worst to best they are: Unqualified, Marksman, Sharpshooter and Expert. This has been the case since at least WW I (my grand-daddy was a WW I Marine - and in those days you got $10/month extra for shooting Expert, which was like a 50% pay raise!).

Unqualified means you can't hit the proverbial barn door. If you are unqualified, you're unqualified for promotion, deployment, etc. Fewer than 2% will go UNQ. Marksman means barely made it. I'd say fewer than 20% of Marines qualify as Marksman (at least after their first time). Sharpshooter means better than Marksman, but still only marginally proficient with the rifle. I'd say about 25% shoot Sharpshooter. Expert means modestly proficient with the rifle, but you don't have to be Jeff Cooper or Annie Oakley to shoot Expert. Even shooting just three days a year, more than half of all Marines will shoot Expert, and at least three quarters of the officers and Sergeants on up will shoot Expert.

So if LHO never shot higher than Sharpshooter while he was in the Corps (I'm taking your word for that), he must have done a LOT of shooting afterwards, if he was able to shoot so well that only a tiny handful of the best shooters in the USA can duplicate his shooting. Or he was REALLY lucky.

According to a recent (1992) computer analysis of the Zapruder film done by Failure Analysis Associates, a firm that specializes in reconstructing accidents and other events, between 8.0 and 8.4 seconds elapsed between the first shot fired and the third and last shot fired.

In 1975, CBS had eleven marksmen take turns firing three shots at a moving target with a Carcano rifle. The average time required was 5.6 seconds and an average of 2 out of 3 hits on the target. In 1977, the House Select Committee reconstructed the shooting and found that it took 3.3 seconds for a marksman to fire 3 shots, hitting the target all 3 times.

According to LHO's Marine Corp record, in 1956, he qualified as a Sharpshooter with a score of 212. In testimony from Marina Oswald, LHO spent hours dry-firing his Carcano rifle. It would seem apparent then that LHO, at a maximum range of 100 yards, was well able and had ample time to fire 3 shots at JFK and hit him twice.

Further test by Failure Analysis Associates prove that the so called "magic" bullet is not so magic at all. The bullet maintained its flight alignment until deflecting off of Gov. Connally's rib approximately 20 degrees. After striking JFK, the bullet began to tumble, ultimately rotating 180 degrees where it came to rest in Connally's thigh, base first. This first shot damaged JFK's spine, causing him to raise his arms into what is known as the Thorburn position.

According to tests and testimony by experts, the backwards jerking of JFK's head is not at all uncommon. Testing of bullet fragments from JFK's skull matched the fragments found in the car as well as the fragments in Connally. These were all proved to have come from 6.5 mm bullets manufactured by Western Cartridge Company.

All of this information, and more, is available in a book titled "Case Closed" by Gerald Posner. This book answers the well known conspiracy theories with factual documentation and scientific testing. As in all murder cases, there are irregularities and coincidences that have allowed many to invent the JFK conspiracy. None of these are backed up with proof of them being anything more than that however.

According to a recent (1992) computer analysis of the Zapruder film done by Failure Analysis Associates, a firm that specializes in reconstructing accidents and other events, between 8.0 and 8.4 seconds elapsed between the first shot fired and the third and last shot fired.

In 1975, CBS had eleven marksmen take turns firing three shots at a moving target with a Carcano rifle. The average time required was 5.6 seconds and an average of 2 out of 3 hits on the target. In 1977, the House Select Committee reconstructed the shooting and found that it took 3.3 seconds for a marksman to fire 3 shots, hitting the target all 3 times.

According to LHO's Marine Corp record, in 1956, he qualified as a Sharpshooter with a score of 212. In testimony from Marina Oswald, LHO spent hours dry-firing his Carcano rifle. It would seem apparent then that LHO, at a maximum range of 100 yards, was well able and had ample time to fire 3 shots at JFK and hit him twice.

Further test by Failure Analysis Associates prove that the so called "magic" bullet is not so magic at all. The bullet maintained its flight alignment until deflecting off of Gov. Connally's rib approximately 20 degrees. After striking JFK, the bullet began to tumble, ultimately rotating 180 degrees where it came to rest in Connally's thigh, base first. This first shot damaged JFK's spine, causing him to raise his arms into what is known as the Thorburn position.

According to tests and testimony by experts, the backwards jerking of JFK's head is not at all uncommon. Testing of bullet fragments from JFK's skull matched the fragments found in the car as well as the fragments in Connally. These were all proved to have come from 6.5 mm bullets manufactured by Western Cartridge Company.

All of this information, and more, is available in a book titled "Case Closed" by Gerald Posner. This book answers the well known conspiracy theories with factual documentation and scientific testing. As in all murder cases, there are irregularities and coincidences that have allowed many to invent the JFK conspiracy. None of these are backed up with proof of them being anything more than that however.

Back