Sig P229 shooting low

Mikef262

Hey guys,

I have a Sig Sauer P229 in 40 S&W, that was gifted to me by my now deceased grandmother when I graduated the academy. I recently swapped the barrel out for a 357 Sig barrel to test the waters in that caliber, which I ended up really liking.

Fast forward a month, I decided I wanted another for off duty carry and I didn't want to risk losing the Sig I had with sentimental value. So I won a used Sig P229 in 40 S&W on gunbroker and just received it yesterday and just now got back from the range today with disappointing results. My new (new to me) Sig 229 is shooting low, not left or right, just low. Holding dead center produced rounds low but still in the circle at 15 yards, obviously as I sent the target out further the impact became lower and lower on paper. This was not an issue when shooting the 357 Sig out of my other 229, I even made sure to buy the same set of Hogue grips for this new one.

What is the solution to this? I have never had an issue with shooting low with my department gun, nor any others. Admittedly, I did have a low left issue with a friends double action Beretta, which was corrected and a trigger squeeze issue. I tried a number of different corrections they taught at the academy, all with the same results of low impacting rounds. Any help would be appreciated.

Sig sites are factory set to cover the target. If you use the dot the 'I' method you will shoot low. Change how you sight and all should be fine.

Sig sites are factory set to cover the target. If you use the dot the 'I' method you will shoot low. Change how you sight and all should be fine.

He already has a SIG he’s used to using, and the hold he uses for that results in POA=POI. It’s just this new pistol that’s problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you tell us how many inches it’s shooting low at exactly what target distance, we can tell you how much lower your front sight must be to shoot to your liking with that ammo.

Heavier bullets will shoot higher.

TunneRat,

I went ahead and got new sights today, which was on the to do list anyway as the current ones are dim at best. I got #6 sized ones, not sure where it would say what size my old ones were as any markings are long faded away.

Not sure what Walther has to do with this either and it has been awhile since this specific gun has been at the manufacturer. It is an older style with the half slide serrations on the rear.

At 15 yards, aiming dead center, rounds were impacting approximately 2-3 inches low. Once I moved my point of aim to nearly the top of the circle, my rounds started hitting center. Hopefully the new sights will correct this, I will find out come Monday or Tuesday, whichever day my ammo arrives.

Mike,
SIG sights actually have numbers on them (though they may no longer be visible on your pistol). These numbers vary based on the pistol and the caliber, but they can definitely change POI. You can call SIG, or you used to be able to, and ask which sights should be used for your pistol based on the number for front and rear sight. I say this in case your new sights don’t fix the issue. Dawson Precision is another company with a number of options for sight heights for different companies, if you needed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TunnelRat,

I checked the sights on my existing 229 that shot fine, they were sight #6. The new 229 sights have no visible marking anywhere be it the front or rear.

I take that back, I just replaced the rear sight with the #6 I got. The rear that was installed was marked #8. The front sight has too been pulled, but no numbers to be seen anywhere.

ame issue with my P226 Elite. Even if i have the adjustable rear sight set as high as possible. I shoot about 4" low at 50' if i use my preferred 6 oclock hold . If i cover center mass with the actuall sight dots im pretty much impacting perfect center elevation hits.

sights

As noted by others, SIG factory sights have a small number on the side which indicates sight height. The SIG armorers manual has tables with the correct factory sight numbers/sets. Additionally, the tables list what amount of change in point of impact will result in sight changes, both front and rear.

If the culprit pistol is shooting low, you need either a shorter front sight, or a higher rear. I'm going to check my manuals and see what else I can advise...

OK, back from the archives,.........
-correct factory sight #'s for the P229 were #8 rear and #6 front
-factory recommends changing the rear sight first to change POI when
departing from factory numbers
-rule of thumb, numbers go up, point of impact goes up, rule applies to
both front and rear sight changes
-at 25 yds, each rear sight change (numerically) will change POI 2 inches
-at 25 yds, each front sight change will effect POI 1 inch

I think the real problem here is that mfgs. don't sight in the guns they sell now. About half the new handguns I buy shoot too low, too low!!! A hand gun should shoot to the top of the front sight unless it's a bullseye gun then it shoots a bit higher. Shooting 4 or 5" low is a defect whether they admit it or not. You have to replace the sight or you can file the front if it's not a gimmick front sight of some kind. I have a new M&P EZ 9 mm, I'm going to file the front sight to sight it in, I'll have to paint it because it has a white dot. I haven't found a shorter sight for it yet so I'll take a file to the range and sight it in.

New sights installed and going to shoot tomorrow.

JustJake,

Yes, that is a typical cause of low point of impact. However, that is not the cause of this issue. I realize a majority of problems correspond with shooter error, however when I can shoot fine with one Sig P229 in 357 then have an issue with a different one, that suggests a problem with the sights. Tomorrow will tell.

Glad you could get sights for it. I have to file the EZ 9mm. S&W don't sell sights to correct where it shoots. They don't care.

curious

Glad to hear that your on target. Am most curious as to what sights, and or, what sight numbers got you there.

If you retained the #6 rear mentioned earlier (in place of the #8 you removed) the resulting POI should have been even lower than with what you started!:mad:

Some combination like a #10 rear and a #7 front would have raised the POI about 3".

Back