SIG p220 OPINIONS???

Great gun but I just traded mine off.

I kept my Glock 30 in 45 ACP. It is just as accurate as the Sig P220. It's a tad hard finding accessories for the P220 compared to the Glock 30.

But, that DA/SA trigger is pretty smooth and the balance is exceptional.

Just buy a newer one with the combat trigger. The older ones with the spurred hammers hard lighter recoil springs and took a beating over the years.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rad turds powered by rodent farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

Greetings Poster's; As my friend's have
stated, the Sig P220A is a surperb weapon.
I have staked my life on one since 1988;
and had no regret's. Probably, the best
out of the box weapon one could possibly
get their hands on.

Best Wishes,

------------------
Ala Dan

Nice gun. Accurate.

Seen two with cracked frames.........

Ruger makes a nice 45.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

If you want a "first-shot double action, all-subsequent shots single-action" pistol in .45acp, the SigSauer P220 is the best there is. I've had 'em for 15 years (220 European & 220A), and they're well-made, very accurate, and very precise.
Trouble is, their bore axis is too high, so that they have more muzzle flip than they should, and the transition from DA to SA in a fast-breaking situation is very difficult to handle (for me, anyway) with accuracy, at speed. I don't carry mine anymore because of this, but they're fun range guns. My wife shoots the P220 better than her Glock 9mm!

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

I got my P220 in 1986 and both the original clips wore out pretty easily. I would rotate the clips, too. I had a lot of malfunctions, failures to feed, until i realized it was the clips (both of them!) I bought a new clip and it works fine. However, I do not think the P220 compares with my Gloch Model 21. I don't like the change in trigger pull between the first and second shot (I had a Gold Cup before the P220); I like the idea of same trigger pull throughout, as in the 1911s and the Glock. My dad used to be a diehard 1911 man, but has become diehard Glock. i am far more accurate with my Glock than any other semi-auto I have ever shot (and I have shot a lot of them). My Glock has the old 13 shot clips; it feeds everything I put through it; and fully loaded it is about as heavy as my S&W k frame 3 inch .357 magnum. In short, pass on the P220 and go with a Glock 21 or 30. good luck.

i have just received my P220A in 9mm. it completes my SIG 9mm collection (P228 and P210). it is still in the gunstore, but i had a chance to dry fire it. the single action is teriffic! it has less take up than my P228 and the DA is butter smooth. i have tried some of the newer P220As (with new grips) and the triggers r VERY heavy in comparison. the gun fits my hands very well and in 9mm, i'm sure it will be fast back on target. i find that the mag release is a bit tight, but i'm sure that will improve with use. anybody else have a P220A in 9mm? i don't have any .45ACP guns so i didn't want to add a caliber.

------------------
Mik

<A HREF="http://"http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm.html"" TARGET=_blank>my 10mm page</A>

>"I think the only area in which the 1911 is superior is in that it can be completely field stripped with no tools. Obviously that is NOT the case with the 220!"

Don't know who manufactured your P220, but mine has never required any tool to strip.

Never heard of a P220 in 9mm before. Sure it isn't a P226?......Dan in GA

I bought one NIB in March. I've had problems with it, but at this point I'll blame it on crappy American Ammunition brand ammo. Notice I didn't say USA ammo, or American Eagle, but American Ammunition. 10 failures to go into battery out of a 50 round box.

It also won't feed CorBon 230s. Very accurate.

------------------
Stay cloze to ze candles, ze staircase (dramatic pause) . . . can be trecherous.

The 220 is a very good pistol. I have one and, frankly, started to sell it due to the detail strip problem, but couldn't let the accuracy go.

The factory offers a trigger smoothing service for $60. Great value IMHO.

The only aftermarket magazines I've tried are the Me-Gars. Out of five, four work fine. The fifth has bad lips and got squashed with a pair of vise grips.

I find that the Sig shoots most stuff well and the 230 grain Gold Dots very well. It does not like 200 grain SWCs though.

Giz

Mik:

A 220 in 9mm?? Didn't know there was such an animal...then again, maybe they're only available in Canada, Europe, etc. SIGARM's website shows 220s available in .45ACP and .38 Super.

Mike

Mike Spight - I have one in 9mm. straight column mag. It's an older (1985-86?)gun. I don't know if they still offer that chambering or not.

Jim:

Yeah, you're right. A friend contacted me by e-mail with the same info. He saw them in a Rod and Gun Club in Germany when he was stationed there a few years back. He also mentioned they were available in another caliber in Europe that would probably not be seen here, 7.65mm IIRC. Seems that neither one is marketed in the US.

Thanks...
Mike

If I recall correctly the P220 was first developed as the P75 in the 9mm chambering and is the Swiss Army's issue sidearm, although theirs are lovingly assembled in the Neuhausen plant that makes the P210.

yup, my P220A is in 9mm.

Dan in GA and Mike Spight: the P220 was originally available in 9mm for european military forces. Japan has the 9mm version since 1975-ish and Switzerland had the 9mm P220 for a short time after they retired the P210 before they transitioned to the P226. on the bottom of my magazines, there is a stamping indicating the mag is for 9mm a .38SUPER...but the 9mm stamping seems "older" than the .38SUPER stamping. my P220 has the old "american" style grips with side mag release.

the newer grips seem fatter and less comfortable to me. the new texture is like the P228 grips. i have a difficult time utilizing the slide release on the new grips due to the added material in that location. i have no problems with the old style grips when i tried the new and old grip models side by side at the gunstore. anybody feel the same? (this goes for the P245 too when i tried it in MT.)

------------------
Mik

<A HREF="http://"http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm.html"" TARGET=_blank>my 10mm page</A>

Good gun. Carried one daily for 10 years. 10K rounds + thru it. Only malfunctions were during a 3 day pistol class and I lubed it alot heavier than normal to save some wear. Started to stovepipe, so I wiped it down and not another malfunction (ever).

Most of the blue's gone (got that good "worn" but taken care of look). Had IWI bar-dot nightsights installed in the stock sights.

Issue gun now is a Glock 22, so I carry a 23 most of the time. Can't go wrong with a Sig 220 (and I carried a 1911 prior). The Sig will definitely be passed to one of my kids.

Back