SIG p220 OPINIONS???

45acp

I WOULD LIKE SOME FEEDBACK OR OPINIONS OF THE P220. I CURRENTLY HAVE MANY 1911 PATTERN PISTOLS. BUT, I AM NOW WANTING TO BROADEN MY HORIZONS SLIGHTLY. I CURRENTLY DO NOT OWN A SIG ALTHOUGH I HEAR THE QUALITY IS SECOND TO NONE. WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THE P220 ??? WHAT TYPE OF SIGHTS? THANKS FOR THE INPUT! WHAT IS THE MAG CAPACITY BY THE WAY?

The P220 is GREAT !! I have one. They are very accurate and reliable!! I suggest Meprolight night sights. I also suggest the two-tone finish. The mags are 7 rounds factory with the new ones, although you can get factory 8 rounders. GOOD LUCK !!

------------------
Give me liberty or give me death !!

Stay alive, shoot a .45 !!

I really like the P220. It has a very different feel from a 1911 style pistol so if you really want to get outside of the box, so to speak, its a good one to get.

The Sig P220 is an excellent weapon. I've owned one for years now, and I've found it to be superb. I carried it daily off and on for nearly 10 years.

Sig own interesting, albiet biased publication cites examples of the SIG P220 firing 5 shots in 7/8" group at 25yds from a Ransom Rest.

The only cons of the SIG P220, as I see it, are the potentially fragile aluminum frame and the less than perfect trigger from the box. However, I've had my trigger lightly smoothed and I've never seen a SIG frame fail. Also, I installed Novak's low mounts with Trijicon tritium inserts.

Rent one at a range, run it through the paces and decide for yourself. You will not be disappointed if you buy the SIG 220.

DR

[This message has been edited by DesertRat (edited December 08, 1999).]

After firing thousands of factory and handloaded ammunition, full metal jackets and semi wadcutters, the gun has never failed to fire. For a defensive firearm, it is more accurate than it needs to be. This gun will put more :) than any gun you will ever own. The suggestion about a two tone is a good one, will ensure a great looking pistol for many thousands of rounds.

Robert

I have had my SIG P220 for ~ 10months now. Since that time I have put around 1300rounds through it both factory and handloads. The only time it has failed was when it failed to completely extract some bad ammo. (2 times) It fits my hand very well, and just has a better feel (IMHO) than the 1911s. It is much more accurate than I am. Everything about it just speaks to its superior quality. I find the trigger pull in both DA and SA to be very nice and smooth, although it is a heavy pull in DA to be sure. But for target practice (which is all I use it for), it fits the bill perfectly. The only thing that isn't all that great is the finish. Mine is kept in its case when not in use, and never sees the inside of a holster. It has started to show very slight wear near the front of the gun directly beneath the slide. Other than that its been great. I liked it so much that I recently added my 2nd SIG to my gun collection P226 in mm. Just as nice and cheaper to shoot. You can't go wrong with a SIG.

Nathan

Hello, .45ACP. I generally prefer single-action autopistols for personal carry and defensive purposes. That said, my primary home defense pistol is now a SIG-Sauer P220. Mine is kept loaded with Cor*Bon 200 gr +P JHPs and the gun groups them tighter than I can hold. It has never jammed with any factory load or handload I've put through it. All of the P220's I've ever shot have been very accurate. Of the DA forty-fives, it's my first choice and the reason why is that it's simple to use for my wife if need be. I'm happy with the factory sights and stocks on this pistol. Best.

Whilst an LEO firearms instructor, etc., I had quite a number of officers using P220s and also had a SIG armorer's certificate. They are an excellent weapon. I would have no reservations about the aluminum frame as I never saw any problems even in heavily used guns and SIG indicated that they would be inclined to replace any that cracked gratis. Since that time the frames have been beefed up a bit which should make them even better. I finally got my own in DAO after retirement. So far I cannot find a reason to replace the very good factory sights. The only reason that it is not my daily carry gun is that it's just a bit large for my hand and I shoot my DA .357 better. If I were still working I think I would shift over to the SIG and accomodate myself to it. I think the only area in which the 1911 is superior is in that it can be completely field stripped with no tools. Obviously that is NOT the case with the 220!

------------------

I recently purchased a SIG P220-1 in .45acp (not to be confused with the P220-1 in .38 Stupid, er, .38 Super ;)). The new -1's have a solid recoil spring guide rod and a stronger recoil spring with a green paint that allows the occasional magazine of .45 Super to be used. It even said so in my owners manual. I have only had this P220 for about ten weeks, but I have managed to fire 1,240 rounds through it in that time. I have used PMC 230gr ball, Winchester (white box) 230gr ball, Federal 165gr Defense Loads & 230gr Hydra-Shoks*, 185gr Gold Dots and El Dorado Star Fires. I have had exactly 0 malfunctions. What can I say, it's a keeper!
*(denotes most accurate round in my pistolen.)

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

[This message has been edited by blades67 (edited December 09, 1999).]

Dude... you dont have to YELL...
I heard ya all the way from the Legal Forum!

The Sig P220 - Yeah - Its good. I recomend them highly. If you want a DA .45, then Thats the one to get.

(Okay - I see hands going up all over... No, I didn't recomend the USP here. I explain this on my Rant/Home Page)

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey - have you seen the new Ultimate Super Tactical Match Gun?

The Sig P220 is a sturdy and reliable gun. Accurate and easy to use. Get the factory night sights - they're trijicon. The newer Sig P220s (post frame ser#160k) are slightly wider (for strength) and feature a milled slot for the front sight. Mine had to be machined...but it's a 1987 gun.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Great gun. Works fine with 8 rds SIG factory mags, but a lot of problems with 10 rds ProMag my own experience and other posts.

[This message has been edited by zentao (edited December 09, 1999).]

I cant say enough about mine. I got it back in '93, and I've put about 7000 rounds through it. Definately the most accurate, reliable DA auto I own. Never a hiccup with any ammo I've put through it. It seems to like 230gr Hydra Shok the best as far as accuracy goes, just like my 1911's. The only thing I did to it was put a pair of soft rubber Hogue grips w/out the finger grooves on it. I like the factory sights, so they remain. I did use it on duty for 4 years, and the finish does show it, but its never rusted, and the wear just adds character :). The only drawback to the P-220 is its size. Its definately a duty sized weapon and just too big for me to conceal very effectively accept during the winter months. Other than that, its a tremendous firearm.

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

The Sig P220 is a SUPERB automatic: durable, reliable, precisely manufactured, and very accurate right "out of the box". It compares well to my Kimber Custom/Classic stainless full-size 1911A1. The Kimber may be ever so slightly more accurate, while the P220 is somewhat easier to conceal -- less length with greater width. One final point, the Kimber jammed 1 to 2 percent of the time during a "break in" period of ~1000 rounds; the Sig has NEVER jammed or misfired after thousands of rounds.

You simply cannot go wrong with the Sig P220!!!

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited December 09, 1999).]

The P220 is a great pistol. The only thing I don't like about it is the slick front of the grip strap, otherwise an outstanding pistol.

I love mine. It's the best double action I have ever see, remarkabiy accurate out of the box, utterly reliable and required very little "manual of arms" training.

The aluminum frames on SIGS perform just fine, its only when irresponable bru-hahas handload beyond normal pressures and/or your shooting military nato ball in 9mm. But that said, there will always be lemons available from any maker, it's just SIG has less of them.

220has got to be the best DA/SA .45 available. The only gun tht comes close is the Ruger P90. Geat gun at a great price, IMHO.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

"I think the only area in which the 1911 is superior is in that it can be completely field stripped with no tools. Obviously that is NOT the case with the 220!"

Juts curious, don't you need a screwdriver, punch and hammer to diassemble both pistols? What's the difference?

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

blade67,
You better go back and look at your manual.
It says 45acp and 38super. If you load the 220 with 45super, prepare for an exciting afternoon.
The green spring is to allow you to use more plus P ammo.
The Sig220 is a very nice and accurate pistol. You won't go wrong with one.

Back