SIG M17 fixes

Not exactly, not at all. The testing was never completed and Sig made a low ball offer(selling less than cost?) in the middle of testing that the Gov't couldn't refuse and now Sig is scrambling to make sure the weapon is minimally reliable.
Yes, small potatoes in the grand scheme of the bloated defense budget but it still matters..to us tax payers(at least to me and Chui)..

Not any kind of theory but what actually happened. Matter of record. What ISN'T is what $ changed hands during this 'competition'...
Was the testing not completed, or was it just delayed? My understanding the schedule moved out and it was delayed, and may have been completed by now. Did I misunderstand the status?

As to making a low ball offer, that's a very very smart move strategy wise for a new product using the learning curve: Your costs drop 10% every time you double production.

Sig will probably double production more than ten times, resulting in a production cost about 40% of their current costs. Smart move Sig.

I wonder in part if some of it was them losing the bid last time to Beretta, and they were damned if that was going to happen again.

The bid was not only for guns and maintenance but also for ammo. Sig also offered 2 guns to Glock's one. Folks can read a bit more on that here.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...se-sig-sauer-over-glock-its-new-handgun-28907

Here a bit on why Glock's protests about the Sig decision were rejected...

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/6/27/the-keefe-report-glock-s-mhs-pistols-unveiled/

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...port-in-your-eyes-glock-mhs-protest-rejected/

And the ammo.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...rt-us-xm17-mhs-it-s-the-hollow-points-stupid/

And from the GAO on Glock's protest...

1. Protest that the solicitation required the agency to make at least two awards after the
initial evaluation phase is denied, where the solicitation did not require this outcome.
Instead, the agency reasonably determined that a single award was in the best interest
of the government, where proposals were technically proximate and the protester’s
proposed price was substantially higher than the awardee’s price.

tipoc

Last edited:
the agency reasonably determined that a single award was in the best interest
of the government, where proposals were technically proximate and the protester’s
proposed price was substantially higher than the awardee’s price.

AYup..all about the benjamins...:)

Well, given that same quote says the examples were technically approximate, certainly makes sense to look at price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Well, given that same quote says the examples were technically approximate, certainly makes sense to look at price.

Of course but unfortunately that price didn’t include the $ spent by Sig to fix the deficiencies discovered. So it all ended up costing Sig even more than low ball
$.

Of course but unfortunately that price didn’t include the $ spent by Sig to fix the deficiencies discovered. So it all ended up costing Sig even more than low ball
$.
Given that neither I nor you know how much it cost to fix those problems, we don't know how that factors in to the overall cost versus the contract award.

I do testing for a living. Not, most unfortunately, testing of firearms but still I have seen some variations of test programs.

Was the "planned testing" (which Glock was so hung-up on) really planned to be "testing which we will do if results lead us to go all the way"? Meaning, if the contest is so close that US Gov needs every bit of test data to make a decision?

I don't know, but it is certainly possible that the test program was always intended to keep gathering data until there was a stand-out winner, at which point the testing would stop.

It kind of seems like that is what happened. And the Gov is entitled to reconsider the test program in the middle of it, no matter what the original plan was.

Bart Noir

Back