SIG experts.........HELP

Timothy

I've had my share of revolver shooting and now I'm ready to go on to semi-autos. I have been looking around (and I mean looking around) and have changed my mind more times than I want to admit! At first I was set on buying a 45, 1911, that is. Then I got to thinking that a D/A-S/A might be a better choice right out of the gate. This brings me to a SIG. I like to make holes in paper and would like shooting to be an enjoyable experience (I keep thinking about my 44Mag.) This plus the fact I have small hands and not real strong wrists has me leaning towards a SIG P239 in .357 SIG. I can also switch to a .40 S&W barrel if I desire.
Do any of you guys have any Pros & Cons you can pass along to this beginner? Am I on the right track?
I sure would appreciate your help.

If I were you, I'd consider the 225. Its a 9mm, so the ammo is only $7/box at WalMart in Winchester white box. Its the perfect size grip for someone w/small hands. Hard to find a more ergonomic grip. The 239 is a great pistol, but its grip is not as comfortable for most as the 225. If you want the 40 or 357 over the 9mm, go with it. If you get a chance to find a 225 and a 239 in the same shop or show, pick them up side by side for a comparison. The size difference is not great, but the feel is noticable. While you're at it check out http://www.sigforum.com/.

Best regards,

eq

[Edited by EQUALIZER on 03-12-2001 at 07:42 PM]

While the P-239 is fine weapon, you might want to see if you can rent one or shoot a friends before you buy. And in 357 SIG, its a handful.

(I had a P-239 in 9mm, and it was a wonderful gun... But I found that the small grip was JUST TOO SMALL for my hands, and even with slightly larger Hogue grips it tended to move around despite my best efforts to hold it tight.)

I agree with the others: a P-225 (or perhaps P-220) is the way to go.

I've had several SIGS (and still have a P-210), but my favorite, nowadays, is the CZ-75 / CZ-85...

I'd try the 228 or 229. These are slightly smaller than the full size models which will mean these are easier to carry. Actually, just get any Sig that fits you the best. They are all proven winners.

I would recommend P229. If you get it with either .40 or .357Sig barrel, you will have 3 calibre gun. All barels are interchangeble (exept the P229 specifically made as 9mm). It is really ergonomic relatively concealeble.
I am not too impressed with P239 grip, but is is olny my subgective opinion. As far as P225, it is fine, although P228 is only slightly thicker and holds 14 rounds instead of 9.

Timothy,

Since you didn't mention concealing this Sig, I too have to recommend a p225. Sweet gun. I have a P239 with all three barrels (9mm, 40, .357 sig - yes, BarSto makes a 9mm barrel for the .40 for the p239). It is a GREAT gun, and highly concealable to boot. It is a keeper. I have a Hogue grip on mine, which makes it very comfortable for my medium size hands.

I looked at the P225, and loved it. Just not as concealable as my P239.

If, as you say, you have weak wrists and small hands, you're going to want to stay away from a small firearms chambered in .357 Sig in my opinion. Muzzle flip on a P239 chambered for that round is pretty stout, and controlling your weapon for followup shots is a big consideration in choosing a CCW weapon.

The P225 is rapidly becoming one of my favorite pistols, even though I don't own one. I'd recommend you give one a try if at all possible. That, or buy the P239 in 9mm rather than .357 Sig. I owned one for about three years in that caliber, and never had anything but excellent results.

Once again, my bottom line: Shoot as many different pistols as possible (rent, borrow) and let one or two sort themselves out for you. It'll happen.

"Am I on the right track?" -- Timothy

I think so. I have the combo you're considering [P239/.357SIG/.40Auto] and like it a lot.

RE: recoil...

I don't find the P239 any more difficult to shoot than the P229, as they weigh within two or three ounces of each other.

The .357SIG recoil is different...sharper, louder, quicker impulse...but not objectionable, but then I don't mind recoil very much.

I will hasten to add that the accuracy is exceptional, and I've fired that round in six different pistols.

RE: the P225...

I concur; an *excellent* pistol that balances very well. If you want one, better hurry...the last ones to be imported will come in this year; then no more. [word from SHOT Show]

SIGs are OK, but make sure that you can get comfortable with the height of the slide. To me, it's awfully awkward- I like a pistol that sits lower in my hand (1911-style).

I think that the P239 is a great choice. I love mine, and so does my wife. ;) If your wrists are really that weak I would go w/ the 9mm flavor instead of the .40S&W (my personal favorite) or the even snappier .357 SIG. just my 2¢

CFB

If you own a Sig 225, you will have the only Sig you will ever need.

But...

It will not be the last Sig you will ever want.

Interested in Sig?

If you're saying you got "weak" wrists, I don't understand why you would want a subcompact .357 Sig? Excessive blast, recoil, and noise should be familiar to a .44 Mag shooter. But limp wristing could cause function problems. And do you want it for CCW too? If you enjoy punching holes and having an enjoyable experience a Sig P226 9mm is a better choice. Mild recoil, very reliable, very accurate, and ammo is inexpensive. Whether you choose P226/P225/P228/P229/P239 I think 9mm is the way to go. Or if you feel the tug of a .45 the Sig P220 is an excellent alternative to SA 1911s. Though for "fun" shooting, I don't think a .357 Sig is going to satisfy you when you already have a .44 Mag.

Still, I'm not really sure that you really know what you want. Sigs are pretty forgiving even if you limp wrist it, but so is my Glock when I intentionally try to induce a jam. Anyways, locking your wrists is something you should work on if moving to autos.

Timothy

There is the Sig225 and there are other pistols. I have a Sig 230 in 380, a 226 in 9mm, a 2340 in 40/357 and a 225. They are all excellent pistols, but the 225 is without a doubt the finest pistol I have ever shot. Right now you can get a new 225 for about $450. I promise it will be one purchase that you will never regret.

I also advocate the 225 for all the above reasons.

sports2themax: if you want to find Sigs for good prices, you have to search around. For under $500 new, you will only be able to find 225s and 239s and 232s. Look on the auction sites and GunsAmerica. But also contact Mike at Precision Armory at http://www.precisionarmory.com. There isn't much at his site, but you can call or email him and he has given a lot of guys on SigForum good deals.

i also recommend that you try out the p225 as more efficient packaging for the 9mm round. be aware that the higher bore-line (the mid-line of the barrel, usually in reference above hand) of the sigs will cause more muzzel flip.

a lower bore-line pistol is the CZ family and they are known for their small grips. the most ergonomic pistol on the market is the HK P7

yup, it doesn't get easier :)

Greeting's All:

With all due respect, being that you say you are a beginner
on semi-auto's, I question your choice of caliber? In my honest opinion, I believe that you would find the 9m/m better suited to your needs; and that brings us to models
P225, P226, and P228, not to mention the P239. For a person
with small hands, maybe the P225 would be the way to go; provided that you can live with the capacity of a single-stack magazine. For those of us with larger hands, opting for a "combat firearm"; I would recommend highly the
P228, followed closely by the P226. As you probably already
know, the P228 is the compact version, while the P226 is the
full size weapon.

I do believe that a novice would be scared away from auto-loader's with the choice of either a .357 Sig/.40 S&W
caliber weapon, due to the muzzle blast and recoil. For most
of us Sig shooter's, the world famous P220 in .45ACP is our weapon of choice. The grip angle just seems to fit all hands
really well; with recoil and muzzle blast being manageable.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Ala Dan wrote:

"For most of us Sig shooter's, the world famous P220 in .45ACP is our weapon of choice. The grip angle just seems to fit all hands really well; with recoil and muzzle blast being manageable."

I have to agree with this 100%. I am a new SIG owner myself and use a Sig P220 in .45ACP. It's my first semi-auto, too. I come from a long revolver history. For the record, I just returned from the range a little while ago, having put about 200 rounds thru my 220. What Ala Dan wrote is very true. Not only was the 220 fired, but my wife's Kimber Ultra Carry and Colt Gov .380, as well as my father-in-law's Colt Commander 1911. All agreed that the SIG had the best recoil and muzzle blast manageability of all the semis out there.

As for the grip: That was what first sold me on the 220. Thge gun fits perfectly in my hand, with great balance. It feels like an extension of my hand. A real joy to shoot!

Eric

Sport2themax

NIB 225s available at about $450 from firingline and precision armory. Can't think of anything better.

Back