Sierra Pro Hunter on game performance.

I went ahead and loaded up some of these bullets. I will see how they shoot. Then decide whether to hunt with them or not.

I don't care if they explode. As long as it happens inside the animal and not on the near side with little penetration. Maybe inside 100 yards a head or neck shot would be in order.

Just tested the Sierra Pro Hunter.

.030 off the lands.
71 grains h1000
Cci250
130 grain pro Hunter.

Avg 3302
SD 6
High 3310
Low 3293

Group size .944 MOA at 100 for 5 shots.

I had a couple of experiences with 145gr Speer where the bullet impacted at more than 3000fps, causing gruesome wounds, but killing the deer. I stopped using Cup and Core bullets in my 7mm Mag, but have had no trouble with 2700-2900 starts with non magnums.

Maybe better for neck shots.... Although ai have no doubt that broadside shots will be fine. Just maybe a little messy.

I can think of one sure fire way to find out. I have other hunting rifles, but I may try this on some yotes and woodchucks. I will also use it for deer. Although I do have a 140 grain BT load that's probably better suited for deer. It clocks around 2980 avg shoots dang good though

Sierra seems to think that it will perform ok. They did say that 100 yards and further would be ideal for that bullet at that velocity.

I tested another load with this rifle today. 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip in front of RL 26. Average velocity of 3149 and sd of 7 I believe. 5 round group in the .8 MOA range.

Y'all figure a 140 at 3150 is a more suitable load? For hunting.

Back