Sidearm while hunting?

.22 revolver nearly always in a fanny pack. For finishing shots and perhaps an opportunistic squirrel shot.

If in an area where there are hogs, or in a public hunting area where whoknowswhat yahoos might be around, then either a 5-shot, 4", .45 colt revolver - Taurus, or less commonly, a Glock model 20 in 10mm. I also might carry one of the latter two when I am rifle hunting for deer or hogs from a stand, for the unlikely scenario that one walks directly under my stand, in such a way that it is awkward or impossible to train the rifle onto them. But in truth, I usally have only the .22. Don't need the extra weight & bulk of a big handgun.

In my state, if one has a CCW license (I do), then one can carry while hunting, under the same rules (concealed, no drinking, etc.)

I hunt from a tree stand that straps to the tree, since I am right handed,
it is difficult for me to turn my body quiet enough to make a right hand shot if a deer comes from behind me, under my tree on the right.
I carry a Ruger Super Red Hawk 44 Mag. with a cross front holster that rests in my lap. This enables me to pull it and shoot a 240 grain bullet into the deer with a minimal amount of movement.
Don't do stalking thing any more (Was my favorite way for years) there's to many idiots out there taking SOUND SHOTS for me to enjoy walking around, even in Orange.
Have killed several deer with my pistol since I bought it.

Going to pick up my NYC handgun application tomorrow - they really try to make it as difficult as possible - you MUST pick up the original application in person in a specific precinct in downtown Manhattan (no other precinct, nor mailing it to you, nor downloading from the web, nor using a photocopy), you MUST type out the form (no handwriting), you MUST pay over $400 in fees to process, and payment MUST be in form of a US Postal or Bank money order (no cash, check, or credit cards), you MUST submit proof of citizenship and proof of address, you MUST have various items notarized, you MUST submit the completed application and forms in person, and you MUST be interviewed from what I've heard. Like, wow, I'm in for a long ride.

Hopefully it will all go well, and I can finally own a handgun for hunting with - I think that would be an awesome challenge to use a handgun for hunting...

Back