Sick of Chuck Taylor

LEOs shooting themselves on the draw? That means they are carrying with one in the chamber - then while drawing they pull the trigger, releasing the Glocks' three safeties. Why are they on the trigger when drawing? Isn't this a huge NO-NO with any handgun? Even with another gun, like a SIG, H&K, Colt, etc., they still shouldn't be on the trigger. The thing with the Glock is that it demands proper handling and training. LEOs are required to be proficient. With such handling, the Glock lets the shooter draw, aim (or point) and go right to the trigger and fire. Other guns require a separate mental action, that is to release a manual safety switch, then aim, etc, THEN go to the trigger. No matter how we slice (or cut :) ) this cheese, the basic issue remains staying off the trigger until ready to fire. As a CIVILIAN (!), I have the discipline to do it (no ADs or self-inflicted wounds), and I certainly DEMAND that LEOs do even better! The LOVE/HATE debate with GLOCK handguns is one way too "done" to re-hash yet again. I personally love 'em. I affirm here that I would BUY a Glock rather than take any other handgun even if offered for free. No, not dumb, and obviously not greedy. But I believe in the Glock design to such a degree that it WILL be the firearm in my hand should I ever have need to defend my life or the lives of my family. I wish that there were Glock shotguns and rifles as well. Gaston Glocks' genius would greatly benefit these important arms! Sorry that my earlier post was smarta**y. No excuses, but I do apologize. Best Wishes and a Good Night to all (11:20pm EST).

Pat,

The reason some cops have shot them selves or others accidentaly (AD) with Glocks is a becuase of poor training not the gun. Bottom line: the gun went off when he drew it because Sh*thead had his finger on the trigger! It will happen with any gun.

As to Glocks not winning any competitions, your way way way off. Ever hear of Armando Valdez, he won the IPSC World Shoot with what? a GLOCK. He has also had a few top 16 finishes at the US Nationals with a GLOCK. I have won many matches with a GLOCK. And what gun wins every GSSF match? a GLOCK, ok so that one doesent really count.

Matt

I'm not taking sides on either debate:
1) The value of Chuck Taylor, or
2) The lessons to be learned from the Miami shootout.

One tie-in between the two, however, is what Chuck Taylor called the "Magic Wand" principle - Just shoot 'em and you win.

Taylor's story involved 2 men, 1 woman.

Man 1 & woman argue in a bar.
Woman drags her boyfriend, Man 2, into argument.
Man 2 shoots Man 1 with a .380, angering Man 1.
Man 1 stabs Man 2 to death with an ice pick.
Woman picks up .380, shoots Man 1, angering Man 1 again!
Man 1 stabs woman to death with the ice pick.
Man 1 return to his table to finish his drink and wait for police.

Police arrive, arrest Man 1 (Man 2 & woman DOS).
Bystander (Kodiac's personal hero :) ) must tell police that man 1 has two wounds to chest. Man 1 shows NO effects of two gunshot wounds to the chest, struggles with LEOs on scene and walks to ambulance with no apparent discomfort.
-----------
What I get out of the story:
1) Taylor is trying to tell folks that a gun is NOT a "magic wand". It does not mean you win just because you have, show, and/or shoot a gun.
2) I think this was a factor in the Miami shootout. Some ("SOME", NOT "ALL") shooters, even LEOs forget that the person they shoot may not realize he's supposed to fall down when shot, etc. (Insert windy story here about fallacy of One-Shot Stops...)

As Q mentioned in another thread, hits count. And as many of us have said repeatedly, it may take more than one "hit". It may even take more "hits" than the situation gives you time for. (Oh, oh.)

I respect the brave (though apparently improperly prepared) LEOs for their efforts - whether it's the Miami shootout or elsewhere. But Taylor's article serves as a reminder that having/showing/using a handgun does NOT always mean you win:
-- a frequent topic on TFL,
-- a source of much discourse on effectiveness of various options, and
-- a point worth remembering.

Back