Show us your match 22lr

It's rocket science to me because I'm a pest control guy:D
One of the guys I shoot with is Lockheed Martin engineer, he seems to have pretty good grasp on barrel harmonics and instructed me to center the deresonator 2/3 of the way up the barrel, it works.
You don't see a huge improvement in heavy barrels but sporter weight centerfires can see big improvements.

Here's my newest deer/antelope rifle as an example of how well a sporter can group with a deresonator on the barrel.

Working up a load last fall.

It's rocket science to me because I'm a pest control guy:D
One of the guys I shoot with is Lockheed Martin engineer, he seems to have pretty good grasp on barrel harmonics and instructed me to center the deresonator 2/3 of the way up the barrel, it works.
You don't see a huge improvement in heavy barrels but sporter weight centerfires can see big improvements.
Maybe this link's information will help you understand barrel vibrations:

https://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm

Check out other "tuner" links listed on the left side of the page.

This one is about 22 rimfire barrels:

http://www.geoffrey-kolbe.com/articles/rimfire_accuracy/tuning_a_barrel.htm

Here's my favorite:

http://www.geoffrey-kolbe.com/articles/rimfire_accuracy/barrel_vibrations.htm

Last edited:
Years ago (7 years ago, to be exact) I bought two Winchester target .22 rifles...a Winchester model 52B and a model 52D. Embarrassingly, I have not fired either rifle until this week.

I Recently started shooting in a 50 yard and 100 yard .22 rifle match at my local range and scoped both rifles so I could use them.

The 52B originally came with a Wittek-Vaver rear sight. I've also been told that it has a Canjar trigger. I put an EGW scope rail on it and shot it after the match today. I tried both Eley "Match" and Lapua Center-X. Both rifles seemed to like the Center-X better than the Eley.

I was a bit concerned about the EGW rail because it only attaches with the screw holes for the rear scope block. The groups look good, however. I put a Nikon 6-18 Buckmaster scope with a fine crosshair and target dot on the 52B (bottom rifle)

K7iH7yy.jpg

UxcLvvm.jpg

Just starting to do some ammo testing at 50 yards. Both the rifles seem to like the Center x a little better than the Eley Match, but it is still early

hv2Ofu2.jpg

jOoeRYG.jpg

Years ago (7 years ago, to be exact) I bought two Winchester target .22 rifles...a Winchester model 52B and a model 52D. Embarrassingly, I have not fired either rifle until this week.

I Recently started shooting in a 50 yard and 100 yard .22 rifle match at my local range and scoped both rifles so I could use them.

The 52B originally came with a Wittek-Vaver rear sight. I've also been told that it has a Canjar trigger. I put an EGW scope rail on it and shot it after the match today. I tried both Eley "Match" and Lapua Center-X. Both rifles seemed to like the Center-X better than the Eley.

I was a bit concerned about the EGW rail because it only attaches with the screw holes for the rear scope block. The groups look good, however. I put a Nikon 6-18 Buckmaster scope with a fine crosshair and target dot on the 52B (bottom rifle)

K7iH7yy.jpg

UxcLvvm.jpg

Just starting to do some ammo testing at 50 yards. Both the rifles seem to like the Center x a little better than the Eley Match, but it is still early

hv2Ofu2.jpg

jOoeRYG.jpg
I've a 52-D as well, that's evidently had the original stock modified to a "benchrest" style which the fore-end tapered and flattened out for a rest. I use mine with the Redfield IM sights. At 50 yards, if I do my part and usually with a rear bag as well, I can cover a 5 shot group with a dime. It's hard to do though, and I'm not quite consistent enough to repeat that often. Surprisingly my rifle loves the Norma match ammunition. I tried several of the Eley, and Lapua offerings, as well as another Norma offering, and the Norma match consistently grouped better than any of them. My rifle also has the 2 screws at the fore end tip to contact the barell, I've tightened groups up a bit playing with those. My rifle likes minimum contact from right hand side screw the best. They're all interesting!

I have an old Anschutz Model 54 with peep sights.

Also...3 peep sighted (Parker Hale), bull barreled Martini Henry Model 12/15's and one Martini Mark II International outfitted with a Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50.

Sorry...no pics.

This new match that I have started shooting has spurred me to go through my safe.

I recently told a story on myself of having two Winchester 52's in my safe for 7 years without ever sending a round downrange with either. Well, full truth be known...I also have a Remington 40 XB that I've had for 6 years that I have also never fired. I was happy with shooting the 52's, so I decided to get my 40XB ready for action also.

I have a B&L 36X scope which was not being used and bought the mounting hardware.

I don't have any range report yet, but here is the rifle...

iHCxtwG.jpg

AMErts5.jpg

jfJrO5T.jpg

I've a 52-D as well, that's evidently had the original stock modified to a "benchrest" style which the fore-end tapered and flattened out for a rest. I use mine with the Redfield IM sights. At 50 yards, if I do my part and usually with a rear bag as well, I can cover a 5 shot group with a dime. It's hard to do though, and I'm not quite consistent enough to repeat that often. Surprisingly my rifle loves the Norma match ammunition. I tried several of the Eley, and Lapua offerings, as well as another Norma offering, and the Norma match consistently grouped better than any of them. My rifle also has the 2 screws at the fore end tip to contact the barell, I've tightened groups up a bit playing with those. My rifle likes minimum contact from right hand side screw the best. They're all interesting!

My "D" has those screws also, but I haven't messed with them. I'll see what I can do with a little experimentation. My Remington 40X also has those screws.

I have an old Anschutz Model 54 with peep sights.

Also...3 peep sighted (Parker Hale), bull barreled Martini Henry Model 12/15's and one Martini Mark II International outfitted with a Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50.

Sorry...no pics.

I've got a 12/15 and a MK V. I haven't shot them much, but intend to correct that.

I'd like to mount a scope on my MK V. How is your Vortex mounted?

Attachments

• martini1-1.jpg
    martini1-1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 63
  • martini11-1.jpg
    martini11-1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 001 (2).JPG
    001 (2).JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Years ago I won a Mk V at an estate auction. It came with sights, but after shooting it a few times I put it away and never fired it much.

0mci3oy.jpg

Recently I began shooting a weekly smallbore match at my range...alternating weekly between 50 and 100 yards. This caused me to pull my smallbore target rifles out of the safe and begin shooting them. So far, I've used my Winchester 52's.

I recently glommed a Lyman 20X Super Targetspot and decided to try the Lyman on my Mk V. I zeroed the scope at 50 yards and did some ammo testing.

This rifle loved everything--even the cheap CMP black box.

gY72Hd0.jpg

v8lJxtI.jpg

@ 50 yards...

3cQ8QFj.jpg

Too bad match grade 22 rimfire made after 1980 isn't as accurate as the earlier lots.

All of the 100 yard and virtually all the 50 yard 40 shot prone records set before then still stand.

Back