Shoulder Bump and Base to Ogive

The more powder per round you push through a bore diameter the faster the erosion

While this is true, it's not the entire story. The volume of the powder gas for each bore size is part of it, and so is the pressure of that gas, and its temperature, AND the steel the barrel is made of, and its temperature are all involved in how rapidly (rnd count) the throat is eroded, and by how much.

the main factor is bore size vs amount of powder but there are other considerations also. Just my experience but I have replace 1 sometimes 2 barrels a year and never see that much difference between 416R and 4140 steel. I read one study where the case shoulder angle was tested and found that some neck angles kept the hottest part of the flame inside the case. Some powders burn hotter than others but again I just shoot for accuracy and don't really worry about factors that may affect the life by 100 rounds or so.

I tend to stick with .308, 260 Rem, 6Br, 223, and 6.5 Grendel for my rifles and only built one barrel burner which was a 6 CM. Probably the most accurate cartridge I have ever shot, for the first 1400 rounds that is. I have a bunch of good cases still and a set of dies I should put on the trader forum. I doubt if I will ever buy another 6CM barrel. I might build my son in law a long range hunting cartridge with my old one someday but no more for me

Lots of factors affect barrel life/throat erosion. Most AR15 barrels go south due to gas port erosion before throat erosion. Throat erosion, if caught early enough, is relatively easy to mitigate with the Tubbs system to extend barrel life. I know some .308 gas gun guys who use the Tubbs system every 3K and get 15K out of their barrels. I've cleaned up a few .223 barrels as well.

Ball powders are a little harder on the throat than stick powders. While most people assume most erosion is due to heat, a good portion is mechanical as well. I've gone to longer jumps, AI shoulder angles and have not only achieved longer barrel life, but the load works for the life of the barrel.

Lots of factors affect barrel life/throat erosion. Most AR15 barrels go south due to gas port erosion before throat erosion. Throat erosion, if caught early enough, is relatively easy to mitigate with the Tubbs system to extend barrel life. I know some .308 gas gun guys who use the Tubbs system every 3K and get 15K out of their barrels. I've cleaned up a few .223 barrels as well.

Ball powders are a little harder on the throat than stick powders. While most people assume most erosion is due to heat, a good portion is mechanical as well. I've gone to longer jumps, AI shoulder angles and have not only achieved longer barrel life, but the load works for the life of the barrel.
What accuracy do they get after 15,000 rounds?

Who are they?

Throat erosion, if caught early enough, is relatively easy to mitigate with the Tubbs system to extend barrel life. I know some .308 gas gun guys who use the Tubbs system every 3K and get 15K out of their barrels.
What accuracy do they get after 15,000 rounds?

Who are they?

Tubb himself claims match accuracy is maintained that long. Guys were experimenting with very shallow throat angles (Harold Vaughn, for one) of 0.75° for a time and claimed it was good for accuracy, and it appears to me from Tubb's cutaway photos, that the Throat Maintenance System may turn a worn throat into one resembling those shallow angle throats. Tubb says he does get other match shooters to test his stuff, but I don't recall who may have tested his Final Finish and Throat Maintenance Systems, if I ever knew. He may mention names in some of his YouTube videos.

I have used the Tubb System to break in a barrel, makes for a quick 10 round breakin. Never used it for restoring one, I may have to try it this fall on a .223 that is getting long in the tooth, err throat

Back