Should you keep a round in the chamber in a house gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is how the majority of N/D-S are caused people pulling the trigger, you can't take the human factor out of it.

Which is why you always follow the four rules and assume any gun you handle is loaded until you clear it yourself.

You can cut down on a lot of NDs/ADs by being contientious and safe. It's why we have safety rules to begin with.

This isn't a matter of weither or not you keep a round in the chamber. This is a matter of safe gun handling, which should be maintained regardless of the condition of your weapons.

This isn't a matter of weither or not you keep a round in the chamber. This is a matter of safe gun handling, which should be maintained regardless of the condition of your weapons.
If their is no round in the chamber it is impossible to have a N/D guns don't shoot without bullets.

If their is no round in the chamber it is impossible to have a N/D guns don't shoot without bullets

Then by all means, don't ever have a round in the chamber. Problem solved. I'm really not sure who you're trying to convince. Your way works for you. I think we're all over abundantly clear on that at this point.

Sgt Lumpy

Actually, they don't shoot with just bullets either.

You have to have a spark and charge as well. For modern firearms, that means it requires an entire cartredge.

I don't care what condition you keep your personal firearms in, any complacency regarding safety procedure is super bad major no no.
The main part of this whole "can't have N/D if you never have a round in the chamber" arguement, is the implication of complacency in regards to safety. Most NDs, in my experiance (to wit, my Dad who's had a few over the course of many years) involve someone being in the process of loading or unloading a gun and getting sloppy. Telling yourself that "I can't have an ND because there is no round in the chamber!!1!" is a good way to teach yourself to get sloppy.

Round in or no round in, you can have an ND if your messing with a gun and ammunition at the same time.

If their is no round in the chamber it is impossible to have a N/D guns don't shoot without bullets.
And if there is no gas in the tank it is impossible to have a wreck. Cars can't be driven without gas.

But, of course, the true utility of both guns and cars depends on them being properly stoked before the actual need arises.

I keep a handgun loaded and stored in a holster with the safety on, when I leave the house it goes in the safe as-is. when I get back it comes back out of the safe and remains loaded.

I don't play with my guns and take this stuff very seriously, the only reason that pistol will ever come out of the holster is to load/unload it or to discharge it with purpose.

When I owned a 1911 for competition, it was also used as a HD gun. At home, I kept it in Condition 2. This allowed me to deploy it with one hand when needed, but it kept the mainspring at rest....eliminating the risk of a ND while stored in the safe. When I get another 1911, I'll likely do the same again.

Pistols are kept condition one. I use them for a back up (or to fight to a better weapon) so they NEED to be ready to go in a moment's notice. My shotgun- what I consider THE 'home defense gun,' is stored condition three. The sound of the rack is the UNIVERSAL way to say, "You are somewhere you don't belong!" or "You are doing something you shouldn't be doing." It all depends on which 'dialect' of intruder you have. :D

In general I have about half of my handguns in ready condition, round in the chamber, safety(if applicable) on, loaded mag inserter. The other half are in "storage" totally unloaded. By my bedside I keep a P226 as a night stand gun and a PPQ in a handgun safe under my night stand as a backup.

I also have at least 3 loaded magazines for any given handgun at all times. Usually 10 magazines for my rifle. Oddly enough, I don't like keeping my rifles with a round in the chamber though.

The best way to be safe is to leave the ammunition at the gun store/Walmart - and just go get it when you need it. Yes, I'm sure the home invader will be happy to cool his heels on your comfy sofa while you're out.

The sound of the rack is the UNIVERSAL way to say, "You are somewhere you don't belong!" or "You are doing something you shouldn't be doing." It all depends on which 'dialect' of intruder you have.
It's also the UNIVERSAL way to say "Oops. I don't have all the shells in this firearm that it could actually hold. I deliberately have one less round in it than I could otherwise have."

It also says..."Here I am!" - I for one don't necessarily want to be forced to advertise my presence to an adversary.

I am with you on this CS

Its akin to the "the sound of the shotgun pump will frighten them off argument". It might frighten them off, or they might just open fire through the wall.

If someone has invaded my home, they are not going to get a verbal or non verbal audio warning, the only warning they were given is my locked doors and windows which they chose to ignore.
The first warning is going to be my streamlight identifying them and then a very bright muzzle flash.

It is also a way to screw up the rack under stress. That is seen in shotgun classes and simulations with enough frequency to worry about it.

Thus, you disable your primary gun and have fumble around in the fog of the night.

There are excellent analyses of the shotgun as superweapon, super sound effect clichés out there.

Yes, I have one and trained with it. Thus, it isn't my first night time choice.

I understand the argument for locked and loaded. My pistols are kept this way without exception. However, if you notice by my location, I move... a LOT. I am not generally aware of local or state laws from one place to the next. For civil reasons, and unfortunately, my own ignorance of the applicable laws, I prefer (whenever possible) to NOT have to shoot anyone. By nature of having firearms, I can not reside in the barracks (single, not married, so don't argue about having weapons in housing, thank you.) and live off base, on my own dime, I might add.
If surprised, my pistol becomes my home defense weapon. I thought that was clear. If not surprised, the shotgun serves. Yes, it has limitations. Everything does. I would very much prefer to drop any bad guy that I meet, but reality sets in. Unlike most folks, I ROUTINELY face 'double jeopardy,' as I can be charged both on and off base for the same action. Thus, I would rather not put myself in that position. I hope that clears it up a bit.

P.S. I was being 'humorous' in the 'dialect' notion with the shotgun. Sorry if you don't like my humor.

P.S. I was being 'humorous' in the 'dialect' notion with the shotgun. Sorry if you don't like my humor.
I have no problem with humor. IRL I have quite a filthy sense of humor. But I disagree with you on a tactical perspective.

That's why I do it the way I do; I don't have to think. With a threat where I have to react immediately, there is the pistol. Muscle memory and training kick in and away we go, civilian (and military) law be damned, I am staying alive. I would rather be judged by 1, 3, 6, or 12 (and maybe others in different states) by military and civilian law, than die.
But, if I am fully up and alert (with all the time in the world) racking the slide and hoping they run is (unfortunately) my best bet to stay out of Leavenworth. An overzealous DA (or commander, and yes, they exist) could easily argue that I did not follow local laws (DoD personnel are required to, after all) and boom, I am now 'the bad guy.'
State laws (the ones I have to live with when living off base) vary from place to place, and rather than try a 'castle defense' in a state that doesn't have it, this is my (sadly) best option. :mad:

Tactically, locked and loaded is ALWAYS the way to go, IMHO. Unfortunately, I have to consider what happens next, after I decide to employ a weapon (in any manner) and ignorance of the law is not a defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back