Should you keep a round in the chamber in a house gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pops1085

I've got a 1911 (clone) and am fairly new to handguns so excuse my ignorance but I did a search and got kind of mixed results. Is it okay to lock my 1911 in my quick access box cocked and locked or should I leave it unloaded with a loaded mag in the box next to it?

Last edited:
Really personal preference, just depends on what YOU are comfortable with. I keep mine with a loaded magazine, but the chamber empty. All I have to do is rack the slide and I'm good to go. I DON'T leave the magazine out of the gun, but I don't leave one in the chamber either.

It's UP TO YOU.

While everyone has a different opinion on it and both have good arguments i always say keep one in the pipe..the reason is that if you ever find a situation where you need your gun you will have only fractions of a second to react..in this situation you will most likely be nervous sweaty and possibly have a bit of a shake in your hands.you may also be bloody or injured (broken arm hand or fingers) if you were attacked having to be able to grab the gun and rack the slide might prove to be a difficult task where as grab point and shoot is much more simple..plus if you have gun locked up why not its nlt like anyone haz acces to handle it then unless you need it.

What you have to ask yourself is why wouldn't you. State laws are one reason. If the firearm is secure and legally loaded then the only reason you wouldn't have it ready to go is you're worried about waking up suddenly and being surprised by a friendly or you're thinking about searching the house and being surprised by a friendly. Either one can be remedied by safe gun handling, (muzzle control, finger indexed, be sure of your target and what's beyond it...) I'm not faulting anyone for not having a round in the chamber but the violence could happen suddenly and seconds mean the difference between life and death.

Mechanically, I have never heard that the 1911 can't be kept cocked and locked. I have actually read accounts of 1911s found buried on battlefields in this condition, that still functioned!

Tactically, you should just make sure you KNOW what condition your gun is in when you reach for it. Obviously if the mag is out and there is no mag in the gun, you know what you have to do.

Assuming you have a burglar alarm or other means of advance notice, keeping your gun unloaded, or unchambered, will still allow you time to get it ready for action.

Since this seems to be leaning towards a discussion of tactics, I'm going to move the thread to the Tactics & Training Forum.

If the OP's intent was to find out about the functional/safety aspects of leaving a 1911 chamber-loaded, he is free to start another thread in the Semi-Auto Handgun forum with an original post that clarifies what information he is seeking.

Strictly a personal choice. Many have years of "never leave a gun loaded in the house" instilled in their thoughts. Good advise, but outdated when defence against two legged home invaders rather than foxes in the chicken house is the purpose.
My choice, an empty chsmber is an empty gun.......locked & loaded.

Last edited:
I just got a new 1911 yesterday. It was bought for the sole purpose to be another nightstand gun for me. It'll be kept in Condition One just like my EDC piece.
That is a choice only you can make.

You should not use a 1911 if you are new to it. Get yourself a revolver and move to the 1911 once you are well practiced with it.

While I repect the 1911 platform, I do not own one for the concerns you expressed.

I think Johnelmore's suggestion is wise.

.38Catt

There is not a more safe production hand gun on today's market than the standard 1911.

It has a mechanical safety, . . . a grip safety, . . . and no one's finger on the trigger.

I ask you, . . . what more do you want?

A revolver CAN fire a round with a simple pencil inserted against the trigger, . . . yes it is difficult, . . . but it is IMPOSSIBLE with a properly operating 1911 that is cocked and locked.

Yes, people who are not familiar with the 1911 platform can be intimidated by it, . . . but if one really should be intimidated, . . . take a look at a Glock or a Springfield XD that does not have a grip safety. THOSE are dangerous pieces of handgun hardware, . . . compared to all the rest.

But, . . . to each his own, . . . that is what makes a horserace.

May God bless,
Dwight

No kids at my place anymore, wife uses revolvers, my usual is some sort of 1911, always in condition 1. I'm a Boy Scout, Be Prepared, & a Marine, firstest with the mostest.

An old Gunny says Semper Fi.

There is not a more safe production hand gun on today's market than the standard 1911.

It has a mechanical safety, . . . a grip safety, . . . and no one's finger on the trigger.

I ask you, . . . what more do you want?

A revolver CAN fire a round with a simple pencil inserted against the trigger, . . . yes it is difficult, . . . but it is IMPOSSIBLE with a properly operating 1911 that is cocked and locked.

Yes, people who are not familiar with the 1911 platform can be intimidated by it, . . . but if one really should be intimidated, . . . take a look at a Glock or a Springfield XD that does not have a grip safety. THOSE are dangerous pieces of handgun hardware, . . . compared to all the rest.

But, . . . to each his own, . . . that is what makes a horserace.

May God bless,
Dwight

Why do some people think a Glock is so unsafe? I have carried a Glock of some flavor or another in just about every way imaginable and never had an "incident"...

Gun should only be loaded if it's on your person or secured. Secured might mean a safe or it might mean a kitchen drawer where you hide it but it probably doesn't mean laying on the coffee table.

I vote for having your gun loaded and ready to go in the safe. Mine doesn't have an external safety but if it did it would probably be off. I do, however, decock it from single action trigger pull to a heavier double action for safety.

Like others mentioned its personal preference and what you're comfortable with. On a side note Never assume its unloaded just because the mags out.

Simulate a situation by setting your alarm to 3am. Set it to the loudest you can. Next put the 1911 unloaded onto the nightstand. I must emphasize safety and insist you check it twice to make sure its unloaded. Next wake up to the alarm and see how you handle it. Some folks may be able to make it work at 3am while others may fumble. This is why I say revolver.

Nothing difficult about handling a 1911 with one in the chamber and hammer cocked whether it's on safety or not.

My CZ 75 BD has no safety. If one's in the chamber and you pull the trigger, it will fire no matter what.

It's stored loaded in my safe. One in the chamber. If I open it and pull the trigger 15 times, it will go off 15 times.

Ideally, I like having a revolver for nightstand duty, but when I have my carry gun next to me (generally a SA/DA autoloader), i tend to keep the round in the chamber. If your nightstand gun is a 1911, i would reccomend keeping it in condition 1 for 2 reasons:
1) Mag capacity- the extra round in the pipe is a much larger proportional increase compared to a 16-18rd 9mm double stack.

2) multiple safties- making the gun inoperable until both safties have been disengaged, reducing chance of errors while sleeping or otherwise around the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back