Should I trade out my 586 for an N frame?

Model 28s didn't come from the factory with wood presentation boxes or target grips. 27s did, and since the 28 is the same size, will take the grips and fit in the same box.

A presentation wood case adds no value to me for a model 28. Looks pretty, but isn't something I would pay extra for. Unless you get a factory letter (Roy Jinks used to be the guy, but I don't know if he still is) stating your 28 left the factory with target stocks and a wood presentation case, they don't add any collector value. Actually the opposite.

I've got a 28-2 with the target hammer and trigger. Its my favorite DA centerfire revolver. I also have the factory (blue) box. (with the gun's serial # on it). My gun didn't leave the factory with that hammer & trigger, but it did get them put in before it was sold the first time.

S&W used to sell "bubble packs" (blister packs?) with the target hammer & trigger, and any gunsmith could put them in any model correct revolver.

They haven't done that for quite a few years now...

Get um and keep both

I got both. The 586 is a great revolver. It handles well and is accurate. No problems with mine. I have a Model 28 and 27. These guns are sufficiently different size to make a comparison hard. Handle both the guns at the same time. This difference will jump out at you. I recall that K and L frames use the same grips. It looks like the day of getting cheap Model 28's is in the past. I go for keeping the 586 and shopping around for a 27 or 28. The 586 was sold as being more handy than an N frame and stronger than a K frame 357.

Didn't I hear that the N-Frame may, just may, go out of timing a hint faster, as there is more rotational weight in the cylinder [both being same caliber], as the cylinder is wider? IF I recall correctly, this would only happen under rapid DA trigger usage.

The L frame fits me, so it isn't an issue. If the reach to the trigger is fine, but the grips feel 'off', swap grips.

If the reach to the trigger feels too compact, and the grips feel dinky- then either get really filling grips or get an N frame.

I don't have any N frames. The largest I have are .44mag by Ruger: SRH. Those are also hefty.

Yet, I don't like the feel of my 586 as much as my GP100, or Colt 3 5 7 [yes, that IS a model: came out 2 years before colt added that vented barrel and called it a Python].

Didn't I hear that the N-Frame may, just may, go out of timing a hint faster, as there is more rotational weight in the cylinder [both being same caliber], as the cylinder is wider? IF I recall correctly, this would only happen under rapid DA trigger usage.

I have heard that, as well. Apparently some match shooters doing a LOT of speed shooting found out that the "heavy" N frame cylinder does "batter" the lockwork harder when you get it spinning fast. (more mass at speed, compared to smaller, lighter guns).

Most owners will never come even remotely close to shooting enough DA at speed for this to matter. When the police carried N frames, it was never an issue of concern for them. Basically, like any other quality gun, if you shoot it hard and fast enough to need a tune up, you've "bought" the gun a few times over in the cost of the ammo fired.

Back