Should i trade a decked out Mini14 for a M&P-15?

Mini14 or M&P AR15?

• Mini

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • M&P AR

Votes: 43 65.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im with rickyrick some of you people dont have a clue. AR fanboys for sure. Some of the stuff jmr40 posted was just flat out lies.

Yep no clue at all right here... I just get paid very nicely mind you.. to spend my days behind a firearms counter... hanging out with gun smiths, and get paid to shoot.. also get paid to go to test ranges to try new products with companies.. one of whom is Ruger.

hkfan you obviously didnt even look at the pictures in my linked thread in the OP. its not a ranch rifle by any means except the action is the same. when's the last time you saw an AR with a folding stock? you cant because of that tube sticking out the back. score one for my mini. mine was 600 bucks new and at the time inexpensive AR's were $1000. score 2 for my mini. the ATI stock that came on my mini from ruger has rails on it for the things i wanted to put on it, its not an expensive aftermarket foreend like you would put on an AR. score three. i get 2" groups at 100 yrds with cheap steel cased ammo after 1500 rounds without cleaning using a 1X reddot. put a 3-9X40 on it with good quality ammo and it would be alot better. now, this isnt supposed to be a debate, just info about the value of the 2 rifles mentioned and pros and cons. not your vendetta against me and my Mini. to those of you who read, understood, and responded appropriately i thank you very much. looks like i will make the trade, mostly because it will be easier to handle for my wife and 97 lb daughter. i will admit my mini is a little heavy for some.

EVERY mini-14 was designed to be a basic "ranch rifle" not just the ones that have it in their model name. -1

Ar's can come with folding stocks now.. thanks to gas piston conversions.. although I can't remember the last time I needed my stock to fold while running kill houses.. but if that's your thing.. is CAN be done to an AR.. -1

You don't need "expensive" quad rails for an AR to mount accesories... you can purchase rails for about $10 a pop that mount onto the existing holes of the forearms on the AR. Then again.. other than a flashlight... I personally have no use for a laser.. a bipod (on a light weight carbine) so I might not need as many rails as you sir.:rolleyes: So again -1

I have shot sub-MOA groups with my BCM AR with a 14inch barrel after 1500+ rounds in one afternoon using an EOtech (non magnified) and bulk pack cheap ammo. -1

Adding a scope does not make a gun more accurate, nor the shooter.

AR's have the corner stone on any accesory you might need. -1 for mini.
AR's have a more solid base for mounting optics. -1 mini.
AR's best mag you can buy cost you $14 and hold 30 rounds. -1 for mini.
AR mags can even be had in 40-60-100 rounds. -1 mini.
AR you can fire and reload with out having to move your hands from the fire controls. - 1 mini

I can keep going... but I have somewhere to be...

In short.. Yes your right.. I have a vendetta against a rifle I used to own.:rolleyes: The thing is I can rationalize and be ok with my purchases. I have bought guns for $10 before and had friends family and co-workers laugh at me, I don't care I had my fun with them. However there is no question that dollar for doller the AR is superior, and I would take the trade in a heartbeat.

I am young, and not married.. and my G/F likes spending money on guns as much as I do... think I created a monster. Anniversary we each got each other custom engraved 1911 grips. I understand you might not have the cash to go out and blow big bucks on guns... I have student loans to pay so trust me I know.. but really... you can build a mil-spec AR cheaper than you can buy a new Mini of the shelf... I have owned two mini's in my life.. one was a gift.. one I paid $200 for still in the original box... I just don't see the point of one all tactical'd up when vs. an AR.

I also aplogize for YOU asking our opinions.. and since MINE differs from yours you got offended... no sense in asking questions you wont like hearing the answer to I always learned... and I'm not even married... shouldn't you married guys know that better than I?:confused:

Oh I get it your one of those gun counter commando's that thinks they know everything. I get it now, my bad. Do you think your the only one that can test a load, hang out with a gunsmith, reload ammo? I dont think so. I have seen mini-14's and mini-30's shoot sub-moa groups. Thats a $600 rifle. Show me an AR in that price range that shoots any better. Factory ruger mags are under 25 bucks,I have no problem paying that. So what if I have to move my hand to reload my ruger. I was in the army for 8yrs. My combat days are behind me. I think rugers scope mout system is top of the line.AR's might be as good, definatly not better.

I am shocked at the vitriol in this thread. Settle down, people, good lord.

^This^

and

I like the Mini-14/30 better than the AR/AK, but he AR and AK are really cool and good too.

Yes, there are fan boys of whatever product (AR, Apple, Corvette) you'd like to discuss. Let them do their thing, don't engage them...and move on.

Really glad I don't feel the need to engage in this back and forths. Consider the benefits and drawbacks to each rifle, accept and appreciate it for what it is.

I like things about most every firearm, although I may not like it enough to attack another preferred arms.

Hi-Points have a great price afterall!

when's the last time you saw an AR with a folding stock? you cant because of that tube sticking out the back. score one for my mini. mine was 600 bucks new and at the time inexpensive AR's were $1000. score 2 for my mini. the ATI stock that came on my mini from ruger has rails on it for the things i wanted to put on it, its not an expensive aftermarket foreend like you would put on an AR. score three. i get 2" groups at 100 yrds with cheap steel cased ammo after 1500 rounds without cleaning using a 1X reddot. put a 3-9X40 on it with good quality ammo and it would be alot better.

Seems to me you like that Mini an awful lot, keep it until you find the trade your looking for or until you can purchase the CX4 outright. I don't much care for the AR but that just my personal preference, I'd keep the Mini.

Stu

The AR is a better rifle than the mini. With all the crap you added to your mini, you have more into the mini than you would have if you had started out with the AR. I've had a few minis, all were disappointingly unreliable and very inaccurate. I sold them all.

I've had a dozen ARs, only one was unreliable, it wouldn't fire 2 consecutive semi auto shots. It was made from old A1 Vietnam era surplus parts and the dealer I bought it from swapped it with one from the same batch that I never had another problem with.

I'd take off all the gee-whiz-bang-tacticool-ranger-wannabee parts off the mini and sell them as a package to another newbie that doesn't know any better, then sell the rifle seperately, then just buy an AR and pocket the change.

the laser is the only thing i regret. i cant believe you think a light is a gee-whiz bang...... how about a scope? you dont use them either? i'll give up the front grip, a marine fresh for the middle east said they were a must have. how about a sling? TOTAL CRAP !!! right? you guys kill me. oh, and the folding stock makes it easy to stow, not for shooting. newbie, huh? not as much experience as some but i have been shooting for 25 years.

justjim75 said:
...with an ATI stock, laser, light, reddot, forward vertical grip, bipod, single point sling, recoil buffer, muzzle brake...

ATI stock-crap
laser-crap
light-dubious for a rifle with 500m range
reddot-questionable
forward vertical grip-crap
bipod-crap
single point sling-OK I guess
recoil buffer-unnecessary
muzzle brake-crap

I have to wonder what it is that you are trying to do with your rifle. It looks like you just started adding stuff to the rifle because it would fit. Are you trying to set a gun up for home defense or long range shots?

A collapsible stock reduces OAL and the gun can be shot with it closed or extended.

A laser or flashlight is useless beyond about 20 m for much else beyond signalling.

A red dot and a bipod? They contradict each other like a bayonet on a bolt action 50 cal. or a big whale tail spoiler on a Cadillac with curb feelers.

A forward pistol grip isn't very practical for most shooting positions and gets in the way more than anything else.

I got rid of my single point sling because they weren't durable and preferred the traditional sling.

I've seen several muzzle brakes come off of minis at the range, it's an add on piece that doesn't have any use for semiauto fire. A Flash suppressor MIGHT havd some use if you are shooting in the dark, but muzzle brakes typically INCREASE flash.

It's a mini so long range accuracy isn't really an option, maybe instead of an AR you should be considering a pistol caliber carbine if you are primarily thinking close quarters use.

Last edited:
why are you here? are there not enough fanboys to talk about direct gas impingment with tonight? do you have the M&P? have you ever owned a Mini with an ATI stock? if not, go away.

I have shot the M&P 15. It's a good version of the AR, but nothing special. I prefer my RRA, DPMS, Bushmaster, or Olympic.

I have a choate sidefolder on a couple of my SKSs, it's OK, but MUCH better than the ATI stock due to the Choate's steel hinge and better overall quality. It's also less expensive than ATI's stock. It does allow the guns to be stowed in a smaller package which fit's in well with my use of the SKS as a cheap truck or cache gun that I never use but keep stashed in an accessible place for contingencies.

Justjim would rather chastise the very people he asks for opinions.. so really were fighting an up hill battle already.

I love being called a counter commando or a fan boy or whatever... It makes me smile.

I can tell you all you want to know on the M&P-15, but why bother.. you already have the poodle shooter you want.. and you don't want to seem to budge from your decision or try to take facts into consideration..

Your quote about the mini getting 32% of the vote to prove to me its clearly the better choice is hilariously ironic.

A bipod on a light weight RANCH RIFLE CARBINE contracts itself let alone a laser.

The only thing the Mini HAD going for it in relevance to other carbines was it WAS cheap.. but is no longer.

As for a cheap end AR.. I would bet you top dollar a Bushmaster Carbon-15 or S&W M&P Sportline would group better off the shelf than an off the shelf mini.

Casual hunting and shooting for 25 years... and a short 8 stint in the Army does not make you professionals boys.. Most people I know in or out of the military barely fired their weapon... and the military only trains you on what THEY want you to know.

You can call me an counter comando all you want... I don't consider myself a professional either... but I can tell you I don't argue with my lawyer when he gives me law advise... and such... especially when I ASKED FOR IT.

The best part is I get called a fan boy... when yet I said the Mini is good for its intended purpose.. and I have owned two of them. Ignorance really is bliss I suppose.

Guess our troops should still be using the M1 Carbine still after all.. quick someone call the Pentagon!

I used to be a Mini fanboy until I could afford an AR. Now I'm an AR fanboy. I own both and I shoot the AR more. I didn't hang a bunch of crap off of either one. I put a flash hider and a sling on the Mini, and a sling & a scope on the Bushmaster A3, but I only use the scope for testing ammo and the irons stay on it normally.

I agree with the camp that says Mini's are fine up until they're priced like an AR. I might or might not trade your Mini for an MP15. I'd have to see it up close. Also, you never really said what kind of accuracy that you get with your Mini.

If it does not shoot as good as the AR then it would be a good trade. All the superfluous aftermarket stuff does not make that Mini more efficient or valuable in the least.

The op mentioned wanting a lighter weight rifle for his wife & daughter to shoot. I've read the whole thread and I agree the mini 14 in question doesn't operate as a cohesive unit because some of the accessories are contradictory. It may be possible to reduce the number of accessories to a minimalist amount and, in doing so, find the handy little rifle the mini is supposed to be. If that doesn't work out then he can trade for an AR knowing the mini couldn't fit the shoe he needed it to wear.

Hkfan, your self-aggrandizing tone is getting old. Most of the time I agree with your opinions on firearms but one thing I cannot agree with is you down-playing a man giving eight years of his life to this country. I have a strong feeling that eight years ago you weren't yet of age to vote for the freedoms that he put his life on the line to protect. I can promise you will not earn any friends around here by belittling any person's military service.

- If you like the mini, could you remove the accessories and/or replace the the ATI stock with the a basic stock to reduce weight?
- If removal of accessories and or stock replacement does not cut it, then trade/sell to get something that will work.
- If I already have a mini and it shoots well, I would try changing stock first before trading it off.

I vote Mini but like the regular stock more than the ATI tactical style.
I have 2 ARs and want a Mini but cannot afford one, yet.

Last edited:
Hkfan, your self-aggrandizing tone is getting old. Most of the time I agree with your opinions on firearms but one thing I cannot agree with is you down-playing a man giving eight years of his life to this country. I have a strong feeling that eight years ago you weren't yet of age to vote for the freedoms that he put his life on the line to protect. I can promise you will not earn any friends around here by belittling any person's military service.

When was the last time our Military fought for our personal rights exactly? Because I can tell you in the current major conflicts and back to Vietnam that really wasn't the case. I come from a big military family, and work side by side with two former Green Berets from the 5th. They will tell you the same thing. Military training with firearms is very lacking in its approach and they only teach you what THEY want you to know. Sorry but just because someone served in the "Armed" Forces doesn't make them a weapons expert or any thing of the sort... sure some are.. but 90% of the Military aren't. Same with law enforcement. I have a lot of friends and family members serving now.. one sits behind a computer all day in Hawaii on an air base.. I guess he is more qualified to answer the mini vs. AR debate.

If you want to take my statements as putting down the Military than go right ahead... the point was just because someone served and even fought in combat for the armed forces doesn't mean they are in expert in the matter. It is the same thing with law enforcement... they are issued a weapon.. and qualify with it a few times... doesn't mean they are an expert. I have had cops walk in to our shop and be shocked we carry Glocks because "thats what I carry.. people can't have those."

Also 8 years ago I was old enough and did vote, thank you. I also wanted to enlist but considering I have a metal plate and 8 screws holding my ankle together, they couldn't allow me to.

Think what you want about me.. I work and volunteer with enough military/families to know and feel differently. I guess I could have said it less hastly and harsh, but again... I am grateful for their service.. but it does in no one make one any more or less qualified with firearms.

I can even assure you that during this past Thanksgiving while most people were home watching football.. I spent most of my day with my co-workers volunteering at our local Veterans Hospital.

Last edited:
I have a MINI 14 and an S&W 15OR. If I had to make a choice, I would choose the AR. Both have been very reliable and well made; my decision is purely subjective.

I love that my mini doesnt require more lubrication than my car to keep running. Its been a while since its been cleaned... I swab the bore, but I'm gonna let it go awhile.:p

Back