Should i trade a decked out Mini14 for a M&P-15?

Mini14 or M&P AR15?

• Mini

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • M&P AR

Votes: 43 65.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

justjim75

i have a mini 14 tactical with an ATI stock, laser, light, reddot, forward vertical grip, bipod, single point sling, recoil buffer, muzzle brake, and 4 mags. the guy is willing to even trade for a like new S&W M&P-15 in 5.56/.223 with a flat top factory front sight and an aftermarket rear sight with 2 30 round mags. both rifles are in good shape. i dont know ANYTHING about AR's. here is my ad with a pics or 2: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467004 so what do ya'll think, is this a good move?

I don't know that specific model of AR but generally speaking...trying to make the mini into an AR equivalent with all the editions leaves you with a lesser gun than the AR. That being said I think a near stock mini is better than an AR.

with all the crap you put on your mini.. you want it to be an AR... so why not just trade it for the real thing instead of a tacticool'd up ranch rifle.

no i didnt try to make my mini into an AR and some of those comments are insulting. i started with the Mini because it is more reliable. i need to get something lighter for my wife and daughter and cant afford to buy anything new. something has to go. i really want a semi auto pistol caliber carbine (beretta CX4 storm 9mm) but this deal came to me, i didnt look for it. my mini is for sale or trade, this is the trade that was offered to me. i am just looking for helpful info, like personal experience with the M&P 15 or "i liked my mini better than my AR i wish i hadn't sold it" or "i sure am glad i swapped that Mini14 for an AR, best decision i have ever made" not somebody telling me why i built a rifle. my mini is exactly the way i wanted it to be.

You'll like the AR much better. Light, accurate, well built, very little muzzle rise. Heck, my M&P Sport has been stellar after a couple thousand rounds.

i started with the Mini because it is more reliable.

Please prove this.:rolleyes:

Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true.

laser, light, reddot, forward vertical grip, bipod, single point sling, recoil buffer, muzzle brake,

Wasn't trying to insult you, its your money.. but it seems as though you are trying to dress up the mini into something it is not. They are no more or no less reliable than a well made AR.

Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true.

Exactly. Same goes for what is being said here. If you like your Mini, keep it. If you think you would rather have an AR, buy a Colt. Just kidding, S&W's are probably fine guns. I know they make good pistols, never cared much for their shotguns, never looked at their rifles. The point is, unless you are concerned about some SHTF situation where AR parts will presumably be more available, the Ruger is just as capable of doing anything an AR can do.

Many people are caught up in some mystical bs hype when it comes to an AR 15. I carried an M16 for many years and the only reason I own an AR now is that they are so familiar, I can field strip one blind folded with one arm tied behind my back in about 20 seconds. There is nothing wonderful or mystical about an AR, it is no better than a Mini-14, just different.

Last edited:
the Ruger is just as capable of doing anything an AR can do.

. I carried an M16 for many years

an AR, it is no better than a Mini-14, just different.

It sounds like you are quite familiar with the AR, but have apparently never owned a mini-14.

I've owned both and the only thing the Mini does better than an AR is not look evil. I also understand that is an important consideration for some, and if so the Mini is not a bad gun. Just way overpriced. When Mini's were selling for 1/3 the price of an AR I owned several. If I could buy one today for 1/3 the price of an AR I'd buy another. But with the prices being essentially the same, there is simply no way I'd put my money into one. If I already had one and was happy with it I'd probably keep it.

They are reliable enough, but not any more so than the AR's I've owned. The Mini's that have been shot extensively have not been able to hold up as well as the AR platform in long term heavy use. They were designed as an inexpensive farm/ranch rifle to be shot sparingly. They do this well enough with reasonable accuracy.

The AR's biggest advantages are much better accuracy, and much cheaper aftermarket and magazine support. Even the cheapest budget AR's I've used easily shot groups under 1" with good ammo. Never seen even a high dollar Mini Target gun that could match a cheap AR in accuracy. Good quality AR magazines can be found for $10-$12 anywhere vs $40-$50 for Ruger magazines, if you can find them.

I'd make that trade in a minute.

If I already had one and was happy with it I'd probably keep it.
I believe that is exactly what I said to the OP. Also, I didn't say the mini did anything better than the AR, didn't say it was any more reliable than the AR, I just said that if you were happy with the Mini, no reason to trade if for an AR. I supporse if you wanted better accuracy may be a reason but that is kind of saying you aren't happy with what you have if you don't feel like it is accurate enough right? I have owned a Mini but since I really didn't have much need for it at the time, I traded it off for a Ruger M77 in .270 that I could hunt with. Had nothing to do with lack of accuracy or lack of reliability, just didn't really have need for a weapon of that type at that time.

I've owned both and the only thing the Mini does better than an AR is not look evil. I also understand that is an important consideration for some, and if so the Mini is not a bad gun. Just way overpriced. When Mini's were selling for 1/3 the price of an AR I owned several. If I could buy one today for 1/3 the price of an AR I'd buy another. But with the prices being essentially the same, there is simply no way I'd put my money into one. If I already had one and was happy with it I'd probably keep it.

They are reliable enough, but not any more so than the AR's I've owned. The Mini's that have been shot extensively have not been able to hold up as well as the AR platform in long term heavy use. They were designed as an inexpensive farm/ranch rifle to be shot sparingly. They do this well enough with reasonable accuracy.

The AR's biggest advantages are much better accuracy, and much cheaper aftermarket and magazine support. Even the cheapest budget AR's I've used easily shot groups under 1" with good ammo. Never seen even a high dollar Mini Target gun that could match a cheap AR in accuracy. Good quality AR magazines can be found for $10-$12 anywhere vs $40-$50 for Ruger magazines, if you can find them.

I'd make that trade in a minute.

+10

I have no problem with the Mini like I said.. it has its intended use... and the AR has its intended use.. and they are not the same.

I voted mini out of spite:........I can't believe some of the BS that comes up when people mention mini14's

Give me a break:

What BS? The truth?

The mini's were great.. when they were $200-$300... a new one on the shelf is $500-$600... the AR is a superior gun in pretty much every way you look at it.. so why WOULDN'T you get one over a mini.

I have own'd both. I now own 4 AR's and no Mini's. I have sold both... I sell 40 AR's to any 1 MINI now.

Im with rickyrick some of you people dont have a clue. AR fanboys for sure. Some of the stuff jmr40 posted was just flat out lies.

I usually stay out of these but........I have more than one mini and several AR's and like both styles, but if I had to live with one or the other it would be the AR, no contest.

The state trooper that pulled me over the other day thought my mini laying on the truck seat was nice....thats the only time its been seen in public.

ARs are cooler at public ranges, and posing in the mirror. Maybe a Facebook picture or so.

See mini owners can be nasty too....and they don't need upgrades.

Nothing wrong with either rifle in my book actually, I will buy an AR soon, when the mini wears out......Jk

The wife wants one, so who am I to deprive her.;)

hkfan you obviously didnt even look at the pictures in my linked thread in the OP. its not a ranch rifle by any means except the action is the same. when's the last time you saw an AR with a folding stock? you cant because of that tube sticking out the back. score one for my mini. mine was 600 bucks new and at the time inexpensive AR's were $1000. score 2 for my mini. the ATI stock that came on my mini from ruger has rails on it for the things i wanted to put on it, its not an expensive aftermarket foreend like you would put on an AR. score three. i get 2" groups at 100 yrds with cheap steel cased ammo after 1500 rounds without cleaning using a 1X reddot. put a 3-9X40 on it with good quality ammo and it would be alot better. now, this isnt supposed to be a debate, just info about the value of the 2 rifles mentioned and pros and cons. not your vendetta against me and my Mini. to those of you who read, understood, and responded appropriately i thank you very much. looks like i will make the trade, mostly because it will be easier to handle for my wife and 97 lb daughter. i will admit my mini is a little heavy for some.

Last edited:
Ok he's been wanting to unload the gun for a little bit...so to bring it back to topic. If the s&W IS IN equal condition, I say trade it

I am shocked at the vitriol in this thread. Settle down, people, good lord.

If it was me, I'd make the trade because I prefer the AR platform, and the M&P seems to be a mostly well-regarded iteration of that platform.

Which is not to say that Minis are scrap metal and their owners are Nazis. :rolleyes:

Back