Should I teach my kid?

vega

Greetings to all Gun Affectionados. Here I am again with another amatuer question. I got an eleven yr old son whom I'm thinking of bringing to the range with me and teach him how to shoot.

Question is, should I start at this early age or this age old enough? All pros and cons are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Vega

In my opinion (remember I'm a Jarhead) the answer is YES!!!

I'm teaching my 7 year old right now. She comes shooting with me at least once a month. Also, when I'm out shooting, most of the times my 3 & 4 year olds are watching me (I can shoot in my yard).

3 & 4 YEAR OLDS!?!?!!!

Yes. They are already starting to "learn" about firearms. No, they are not shotting yet (well... sometimes I do allow them to press the trigger while I'm sighted in). But they are learning safety. They know not to touch any gun unless I or my wife are there. I've kind of tested them on this. I've made sure a rifle was unloaded (and bolt removed) and left it on our deck. I "hid" in the house where I could keep an eye on it. While they noticed it and looked at it while they were playing they never once touched it (even thought they walked by it numerous times).

Start teaching safety as early as possible. Start teaching Basics when you believe they are ready.

Children are very curious creatures. If you take the mistique out of something it will not intrest them any longer. THIS, if for no other reason, is why you should teach them about firearms. And we should not forget about passing on knowledge to the next generartion!

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Vega,

Answer: Yes. Eleven years old is definitely not too young to begin.

My father started me at eight years and look how I turned out (crosseyed, deaf and fidgety)!

But there are a few things you may have thought of or may not ... if I may ...

1st - SAFETY; make it a habit early. Show him that the PROs wear eye and ear protection and exercise muzzle control.

2nd - Don't Push the little guy if he doesn't warm up to it right away.

3rd - Let him see how much you LOVE it!

4th - Praise him when he even tries.

A friend of mine started his son at nine years old and he was really kind of lukewarm to the rigor of shooting. That's another benefit, they learn discipline that spills over into other parts of their life. But this kid, to make this story short, eventually got enthused and became an alternate for the Lisbon Olympics U.S. Jr. Shooting Team. And can that boy shoot?!!!

Good for you!

Sensop

I started my daughter at an early age and my son started at the age of 4. They both learned how to shoot and the proper ways of handling.I have no problem with them handling and shooting today. As they were growing up they knew the ins and outs and even though back then all I had was your basic glass fronted gun cabnet. They never bothered and made sure that their friends never did either

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

It's a qualified YES but make sure they have adequate ear protection and they're not exposed to heavy recoil. Look for a 4-H shooting sports program in your area. I'm sorry to say I ruined my son with a 12 guage. He's now a heavy metal rockster and could care less aout guns.

------------------

I started my son by having him take a Hunter Safety course at age eight. He is now 12, and has been shooting IPSC with me for 1.5 - 2 years. He handles my full size Kimber real well. :)

I think that the early training/shooting serves to reduce a lot of the natural curiosity that kids may have about guns, as well as teach them the possible dangers.

Go for it!!

By all means YES! We ( my dad, BIL, and I) introduced my only nephew to the world of firearms at the tender age of 9. He's now almost 17 and literally counting down the days til he turns 21, so he can get his CP like the rest of the family has....
Good Luck!

------------------
ff ...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make.

Mine are 8 and 10 and I started them 5 years ago with pellet guns. They both can probably teach an adult about gun safety and my 8 year old just shot my 45ACP 2 weeks ago. A liitle assistance of course but he shot it. Also, we don't allow toy guns of any type in the house. When they see a gun they know what it is and what it can do. Start em young because if you don't teach them the media and other kids will. Just make sure you set a good example with safety.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

My father(God rest his soul) taught me to shoot at the tender age of twelve. So the answer to your question is YES :) :). Teach safety first :), then marksmanship :).

I did not start teaching my kids until their late teens. Big mistake! Missed out on a lot of potential good times. In a time when there is real potential for generational friction, this has turned out to be a real good lubricant. I guess I didn't trust myself to do it right- I was wrong. Turns out there is a lot of great help out there (like folks on this forum) who are willing to give you the wisdom of their experience with the things you might be uncomfortable with. The younger you can get them started the more adaptable they will be- just means a little more attention to detail on your part.

I took my two sons shooting when they were approximately eight years old. It worked out very well and today they are both competent shots.

I've got twin 8 year old boys. I got them their first .22s for Christmas this year. However, we have been doing safety drills for 4 years. There is no mystery about guns here. They know what they are and what damage can be done if not handled correctly.

We go over the 4 rules every time I have any of my own guns out. They will NOT accept any gun from anyone until the can physicaly see there is no bullet in the chamber. They know their guns are locked up in the gun safe with the rest of Daddy's guns. They may ask to get them out to look at them at any time.. as long as Dad is the one to get them out of the safe.

Do I sound a bit anal about the safety we go through here at our house? GOOD! I am.

Once we have done all that... then we can go have fun. It may be just shooting the BB/Pellet guns in the Garage. Or we may go to the range to shoot their .22s or one of mine. They have a blast and are learning the basics well.. Front Sight.... PRESSSSSSSS.... Front Sight....

It is a time we all enjoy together. I can't wait until they get old enough to shoot IDPA with me. ;)

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

My dad bought me a BB gun when I was 6. Learned everything about safety on that and his firearms as well. He bought me a 20-ga. single shot shotgun for Christmas when I was 11. We (and my two brothers and several cousins) had great times in the woods, and I killed many a squirrel with that little shotgun. My dad still has it hanging in his "gun room" (no kids allowed without an adult), and I plan to give it to one of my sons one day when he's old enough and has shown me that he's ready for it.

But do not ever delay in teaching gun safety. The sooner the better on that item.

Kids and parents shooting responsiblly together, it just doesn't get any better. You can't start them young enough on tin cans in an arroyo or a camping trip. Mine have (31,11,9) been "reloading" and shooting since they could sit on a stool and cock a Red Ryder. They all graduated to powder burning when they could weild a 30 carbine alone. Let them shoot often, with you, and add lots of variety, the discipline will come along with their prowess. Kids are a blessing.

Firstly, Welcome Vega: I see that you are my country man. I am happy to see you here. We are just neighbors I mean in the same City. I wish we will be together in the shooting range soon.

Yes, I am teaching my 14 yrs daughter and she even shoot with my .45, I let my 8 yrs old hold on my 9MM too but I did not let him shoot yet, just to have him a feel of a real gun. You know, we are much noticed by media in Manila if we are training a young boy at that age. But 11 to 14 or above is a good start. I have seen some in the range where some cops letting their 10 to 11 yrs old boy firing even a full size .357.

My dad started me shooting at 4 and bought me a .22 singleshot rifle when I was 5. The earlier you start your children the better. I think my dad started me off so young so he would have someone to clean his guns for him. :) No problems there since it taught me a lot about how they worked. Teach safety first, then how to shoot.

when I have kids I'll start them off light, I'll use the .44 magnum barrel on my Desert Eagle at first. When he/she hits around 10 I'll see how he/she likes the .50 AE then go from there.

Ya gotta start 'em off slow, ya know?

;)

-Frank the Spank

If there is a gun in the house, every member of the household should know how to safely handle and shoot the gun.

My father started teaching me to shoot, under very staunch supervision, at the age of six.

Well, my Dad and Gramps started teaching me to shoot at six. I got a Red Ryder when I was seven, and my first "real" gun at ten. That was a Savage .410 single shot. Little bitty gun, now, but it looked bigger than big then. <G> They drilled me on safety till I was as anal about it as they were. At 13 I got a Remington 870 in 20. The next year, it was a .222 Savage, that was given to my dad for his 16th. And at 17, i was given both a Marlin model 60, and a H&R model 999. All my long guns were kept on a rack in my room, triggers locked. all ammo, and all the household hanguns were kept in a steel footlocker in my dad's closet. So, I say start 'em early. I'd reccomend a demonstration of what guns can actually do first, like an exploding pumpkin. That definitely instilled respect in me. "Listen here, boy, this is what can happen to you if you ever disobey the rules on guns." gruff old bugger. <G>

Back