Should I or shouldn't I?

Coinneach,

"There's also the hunting license, with its idiotic SSN requirement"

Well, actually if you live in Colorado and you were born after 1949, then you will need to get a Hunter Safety card, before anyone will sell you any hunting licence (SSN or not). Call CDOW for classes in you area.

It might be best also to get you Hunter Safety card before April 4th. Why April 4th you say? Because that is when applications for limited big game licenses have to be mailed in to CDOW. Why do I want to apply for a limited big game license you say? Well, because all deer licenses are limited (no over the counter purchases) and you won't get one unless you apply. Second of all, you can gain preference points, to hunt really good areas, if you apply. Around March 1st is when the hunting brochures come out - get one for deer and elk - it will all be made kinda clear.

In the mean time take your Hunter Safety card and get a Small Game license, and go out and bag some small forest creatures (like rabbits - maybe use a .22 for them instead of a 45-70) and see how ya do.

Good Luck - Be Safe - JohnDog

so Coinneach i await discourse over the lengthy recommended gear lists i gave you any questions??

Any disagreements?

Anything on there that makes no sense or you don't know where to get?/

Drop me an e-mail or call me up.

Dr.Rob

As to WHY i hunt.. it started with a great love for the outdoors fostered in the scouts, jack london and hemmingway stories followed by my dad taking it back up. It was a way to spend time with the old man and learn something "important" (not just tracking and survival) but i learned a lot of responsibilty, patience and wonder by being in the woods with a rifle.

I once saw a "that's Jake" cartoon where jake is walking through a field with a shotgun and two dogs.. the caption read "heck no I ain't Huntin' Im just carrying a gun to make the dogs feel important" Lol i HAD a dog like that once. ;)

But really there is much more to it than the thrill of the stalk, there's getting up at 0 dark thirty and humping it all day only to come back to camp with reports of what you did and didn't see.. and smiling secretly as you pass on the knowledge.

[This message has been edited by Dr.Rob (edited February 07, 2000).]

JohnDog, I've signed up for the course in town. This month is closed, but next month is still open (first Friday).

Oh, BTW, wouldn't a .45-70 result in a more humane kill than a .22LR? ;)

Rob, I've looked over the lists you gave me, and they're self-explanatory. I already have most of the gear, and can get the rest easily.

Hmmm... maybe the next TFL-CO thing should be a hunt? :)

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson

LOL Coinneach!

Yes - a .45-70 will result in a more "Humane" kill than a .22lr. But since you want to experience hunting, maybe you would like to enjoy the fruits of your labor! Them little bunnies can be mighty tasty - if you can find enough of them to cook!!! Save them big bullets for something more substantial (save your shoulder a bit of pounding too)

Have Fun - JohnDog

Johndog, my Marlin is a sweetie. Recoil is minimal and I can bench it all day long. But you're right, a .22 would be a bit less... traumatic, shall we say, to the bunnies. ;)

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson

true bunny hunt story

My brother and i were out with dad & the Britneys hunting pheasants. While skirting a fence line we chased out a cottontail. It ran 30 feet and froze in a bush in plain sight. We stalked up on him and my brother took aim with his 20 gauge. Then we backed up, and backed up again. Satisfied at our range, my brother fired. Boom! There was hardly enough left of mr. rabbit to hang for the crows!

dZ

------------------
"walk softly and carry a big stick, one that goes bang in .308 is fine"

dZ's comment, "the hunt makes us realize where we are" nails it. We are no more human and no more in touch with nature than when we are hunting.

Could I suggest squirrel hunting as a first endeavor? I consider it to be the true essence of hunting; you have to either learn to stalk, or learn to be very still and quiet; the marksmanship issues are comparable to a typical deer hunt; and as I like to say, it's difficult enough to present a challenge, but easy enough to hold your interest.

Most importantly, find some friendly folks to take you hunting--whatever the species--and you will have fun, and understand...

Back