Should I only shoot 38 spl in a python? (Does 357 wear out revolvers?)

As to the Colt Python, I had one years ago, and put over 6,000 rounds through it, mostly .357 Magnum ammunition. The only problem I had was I had to replace the trigger at about 3,000 rounds, as the sear area wore down and prevented full lock-up.

The Python, like N-Frames S&W guns, has a rather short cylinder preventing chambering heavy cast SWC type bullets (i.e.the 173 gr. SWC) which I was using at the time.

I liked the Python, but when the 586 was introduced, went to that and never looked back.

Bob Wright

My Trooper when I first got and before factory wrecked it, I shot walnuts out of the tree behind the house. It was safe as there was nothing but miles of trees
It was very accurate. I've told before of my Science Professor shot a group the size of a quarter with it. Recoil is there but never hurt my hands. I like my 125 grain loads, that are pretty fast steppers. Gun never loosened on me.
My Python well I'm not shooting it.
My Colt Lawman KIII nickel snub nose has very little recoil at all with any load.
My wife doesn't prefer to shoot them though.
The unpleasant part is the noise. You have to use hearing protection, unless you are shooting from a cliff over a valley or front porch over falling open ground.
The .44 is the one that has enough recoil to make shooting targets hurt. Some loads leave rubber in my hand from the Pachymer grips.
Which beggers an off topic question: does porting help?

I have no experience with porting but the Rifleman did an experiment several
years ago.

Shooters were blindfolded and randomly handed a ported and non ported
magnum, I think a .44.

The testees said they felt no difference in recoils but remarked how one
gun barked more than the other. The "barkers" were the ported revolvers.

.38 special is quite sufficient for target shooting and is easier to shoot accurately than .357 magnum. As a hand loader I always load rounds at a power level that matches their purpose. I load a 850 fps level LSWC load in my .357 magnum cases for range use. I also shoot a few jacketed magnum level rounds on each outing. I only load .38 special cases for use in my .38 special revolvers. If you are target shooting for pleasure and not trying to knock over metal rams at 100 yards or more then a .38 special round will be a good choice and it will also limit wear on your python. If you buy all of your ammo .38 special will be much cheaper. Just remember to clean your chambers well with a brush before you switch over to .357 magnum rounds.

I believe that shooting 38 Specials in your Python will reduce wear and make the mechanism last longer. I have one, and I have stopped shooting it because the things are so expensive! Does that make sense?

No.:mad:

I did talk to a National PPC champion while scoring his Bullseye Pistol targets. He is one of two to shoot a 1500 on the PPC course.

He said he only saw one shooter using a Colt (in PPC). Saw a few Dan Wesson's but the majority were using Smith K frame revolvers, but I got the idea that once the L frame came out that displaced the K frame revolvers.

I asked what wore, and primarily it was the ratchet and the hand. The S&W had the advantage for timing wear. The Colt, the cylinder indexes into position just as the hammer falls, making the mechanism less tolerant of wear on the ratchet and cylinder hand. The S&W indexes into position before the hammer falls. He had a broken firing pin, said when he was shooting K frames in events that required "major" loads, the barrel forcing cone would crack on K frames, but the L frame fixed that.

Incidentally, I asked how many round he had fired through his Shilen 38 barrel, on his K frame, and he estimated 750,000 rounds! he said it still shot 1 " groups (I assume 50 yards?) in a rest and he was of the opinion that there was no wear. He did say the Colt barrels were tighter and it was not uncommon to see S&W fitted with Colt barrels as the tighter barrels were more accurate. Another shooter, a neophyte as he indicated he had only fired 250,000 rounds through his K frame S&W, he also indicated hand and ratchet wear issues. I assume they regularly changed mainsprings and any other spring that wore out. Springs are consumables in my opinion. Don't be a dumb butt and run a pistol that squibs with "harder primers" as some time in the future, you will stick a bullet in the barrel with the "thinner primers". The basic PPC load was a 148 LWC with 2.7 grains Bullseye. The bullet was around 690 to 700 fps and that was extremely accurate out to 50 yards. Crimp was critical, I don't remember the numbers but you could over and under crimp the things. The PPC Champ shot factory ammunition, I guess at some point you get free ammunition from a sponsor.

Bob- I don't hunt and have little use for any of the magnums. I find them obnoxious to shoot.
Most of the guys here just shoot paper, and I guess shooting a magnum is fun for them. The excitement went away for me a long time ago. If I had a use-that would be a different story.

As I started reading this thread, it dawned on me that I've never fired a .357 in my Python that I can recall. Part of it is that I want to take as good a care of it as possible. The other part is that I've fired most of those magnums in my N frames and my 686-no dash. If I do decide I want to load with magnums, I have a load that gives swc cast bullets 1150 fps to 1200 fps, depending on barrel length; not really magnum pressures or velocity. I use to hunt deer with .357 revolvers, primarily the 686. For this purpose I used 125 and 158 grain jhp bullets and a few times the factory load. My full power magnum reloads pushe the same 160 grain swc at 1450 fps. These are fired rarely and only in the N frames ad occasionally the 686. The Python fires primarily 148 grain wadcutters. This load does 95% of what I need a .38spl & .357 for. Generally, if I want more power I go to a larger caliber.

The Python may not be as tough as S&W N and L frames but it can handle magnums if need be. Otherwise it consumes only .38spl. There's no great need to shoot magnums unless you use the .357 for hunting.

I have owned my Ruger security sixes since I turned 21. I have shot paper, metal, and taken three deer. The one that I carry is my 6 inch and it has been fed a steady diet of loads based on the original loads for the 357. I have always used a 140 grain HP in front of 19.1 grains of H110 (not recommended for lesser guns than the Ruger and TC Contender). In the three years that I competed in metallic silhouette - hunters pistol - I shot 30,000 rounds in practice and competition. To this day I have never had any work done on the gun and I shoot it a lot. I can still shoot 1 inch 5 shot groups at 25 yards. (if I wear my reading glasses)
I thought the Python was built to shoot magnums but what I am hearing is that it won't stand up to a steady diet of the round it is chambered in? All I can say is, I am glad I never found out about this until now. I am happier and happier that I bought a Ruger all those years ago.

Shooting .38 Special and .357 Magnum ammo is the same as driving a car at 55 miles an hour or driving it at 75 miles an hour.

75 miles an hour will wear a car faster then 55 miles an hour will, but you can drive a long way at 75.
It's just that the car will probably need maintenance and oil changes more often.
That doesn't make the car "weak".

What really wears the old Colt action as used in the Python is abusing it.
Abuse like slamming the cylinder open and shut with a flick of the wrist, shooting double action as fast and as hard as you can jerk the trigger, and firing single action by yanking the hammer back hard will wear any gun faster.

Where the Python gets the rep of going out of time easily is because the Colt action timing is FAR more critical then other brands like the S&W and Ruger, and most people don't understand that the when the old Colt action needs maintenance it needs to be done.
If the gun is continued to be used past the needed maintenance, the gun begins to wear other parts.

In order to make a Python last forever, you need to educate yourself on the timing of the action so you'll know when it's due for maintenance, then get it done.

Treat the Python with care and shoot mostly .38 Special ammo and it'll last a LONG time.

Slamfire said:
Don't be a dumb butt and run a pistol that squibs with "harder primers" as some time in the future, you will stick a bullet in the barrel with the "thinner primers".

A primer pops or it doesn't. A squib, OTOH, is due to an inadequate powder charge.

Dfariswheel said:
you'll know when it's due for maintenance, then get it done.

As I mentioned, therein lies the (Python) rub.

I seem to recall that Colt itself recommends that their DA revolvers be returned to the factory for rebuild every 5000 rounds. That seems a bit low - is my memory hazy?

Jim

Ye gods. Between collectors who refuse to shoot their guns and people afraid to shoot their guns I think firearms are turning into paperweights and art objects.

BTW-I never shoot 38s in any of my 357 revolvers including my Pythons. All get shot with full power 125 JHP loads only.

The 6" is the one I've had the longest and it hasn't fallen apart yet...

standard.jpg

Still seems to shoot OK even with full power 357 ammo...

standard.jpg

Back