should i get a phoenix or save for a smith or?

Plated or copper wash bullets will smooth out the roughness - but - it's a PITA in the meantime.

I've been lapping all my S&W barrels on new guns made in the last 15/20 years just as a matter of course.
I believe the way they are now made leaves the bores rough.

Since the vast majority of shooters are going to shoot jacketed rounds, I don't believe S&W will change things or even admit there's an issue.

I use Pepsodent toothpaste for a compound.
It's just abrasive enough to polish -but - not abrasive enough to do any real metal removal.
I used that on all three of the barrels I have for my 22/s.

Heritage. In my experience, these guns seem to be overlooked often because of their price point, but I picked one up a few years back and it has been great. Only thing I would suggest is to put a dab of Loctite on all of the screws when you first get the gun. They have a tendency to come loose with enough shooting. If they come loose enough, as with any gun that's not fully assembled, you might have problems. But it's been a reliable shooter for me as long as I've had it. Several thousand rounds through and no problems. Pretty accurate too.

One thing to keep in mind, .22 semi auto pistols tend to be finicky firearms. This is generally where the truckloads of negative reviews for all brands come from. If you do go with one, do your best to research any possible problems, and solutions. I could have written a horrible review about my P22 a few months after I got it. Actually for about the first year I viewed it as a total POS. Then I did a little bit of homework, found out that I needed to tighten the barrel nut and use 1-2 drops of oil MAX when cleaning it. After that, it was as reliable and accurate as any of my guns.

You have listed 3 vastly different guns. Cross the HP off the list. Even with the laughable 5" rangemaster barrel accurate it is not. If you go with the Heritage make sure it's a steel frame model with adjustable sights. Of those listed, my pick for your uses would be the 22A.

But then I'd go far and above and get a Ruger 22/45. I still see base model MKIII versions for $250 give or take and used MKIIs can be had. Either is better than the guns you listed.

I wouldn't get the HP.
There are a lot of used options out there. Hard to beat a used Ruger MK II. For a new gun on a budget I wouldn't check out the Beretta Neos first.

I'd look for a Ruger MK(anything)....even the new Ruger SR22's can be had for $279 NEW, so I imagine $225 would be a decent USED price if you could find one.

S&W has Lifetime warranty....but ONLY to the original purchaser!

The phoenix is neat, but it will crack. I've had two. The rough rider is a little crude, but not bad.
My favorite is my mrkll 22-45

I hear all kind of stories about the Pheonix and Heritage being on good,as for myself I have two pheonix and three heritage .heritage in 3 3/4 birdshead ,a 6 1/2 in. and a 9 in. For my field gun I love the 3 3/4 heritage with both 22 and 22mag with snakeshot.Use the ammo they call for and you will have no problem One of my pheonix is over 20 years old with no problems.:)

I just picked up a Phoenix hp22a a couple of weeks ago and it won't cycle the standard velocity ammo. I've been shooting golden bullets through it without a single problem, the standard velocity only cycled 1 out of four rounds on average. I will try more standard velocity ammo after I have about 500 rounds of high velocity through it. Word out there is that the new models can handle the high velocity with no problems. If it cracks I will say that I was using standard velocity, how will they know the difference?

I'm not using hyper velocity ammo, just high velocity.
1080 standard
1260 high velocity
1650 hyper velocity

I just picked up a Phoenix hp22a a couple of weeks ago and it won't cycle the standard velocity ammo. I've been shooting golden bullets through it without a single problem, the standard velocity only cycled 1 out of four rounds on average. I will try more standard velocity ammo after I have about 500 rounds of high velocity through it. Word out there is that the new models can handle the high velocity with no problems. If it cracks I will say that I was using standard velocity, how will they know the difference?

I'm not using hyper velocity ammo, just high velocity.
1080 standard
1260 high velocity
1650 hyper velocity

I've got one and had the same issue with standard. It's new and only shot maybe 25 rounds. I also believe that will change after some break in period. I mainly got the gun because I liked the looks for adding to collection. I have much better choices for 22 plinking. It is a nice looking little 22 though IMO.

I have found that mine likes Golden Bullets better than anything I have used. I don't think I have ever had a problem of any kind with them. I don't think there is a problem if you have a crack based on what others have said. Their warranty service is rated highly.

Back