should i get a phoenix or save for a smith or?

old fart

i am looking to get a 22lr handgun, i'm narrowed it down at my local shop to these.new phoenix arms hp22 $150 otd, smith 22a like new $225 otd, new heritage rough rider 22lr only $165 otd. what would ya'll get?, also i've heard of frame cracks on the phoenix, is this true and if so how bad? thanks

I'd save a little more and get the Smith, although the Heritage would be a distant, but decent second choice, if time is pressing.

new phoenix arms hp22 $150 otd, smith 22a like new $225 otd, new heritage rough rider 22lr only $165 otd.

If I had to have one of those, probaby the S&W. But I note that the particular one you're looking at is "like new", meaning used, meaning you aren't the original owner. I don't think S&W's current warranty will cover that.

I it were me, and it didn't have to be one of those, keep an eye out for a used Ruger Mark i/ii/iii or 22/45.

I've got both.

My Phoenix Arms HP22a, is a fun little gun to shoot. I have both the short, 3" barrel and the 5" range barrel for it.

Fun and accurate....with either barrel.

My only knock on it is that you can only shoot "Standard Velocity" ammo (1050fps to 1120fps) for fear of the frame cracking. Since "the scare", Standard Velocity availability has been hit or miss.

That said, go for the S&W. My M&P 22 eats literally ANYTHING! :D

I have both the HP-22 and a Heritage Rough Rider. They are both accurate and both have been trouble free. However, they have nothing in common other than both being 22s. Shooting them is a totally different experience. Since the HP22 is new, it has a lifetime warranty and Phoenix has excellent customer service. I wouldn't worry about frame cracks because if it happens, they will replace the gun. I have the magnum cylinder with my Rough Rider that almost makes it two guns for just a little more than the price of one.

For myself, I wouldn't want to bank on Phoenix Arms replacing the gun TOO many times for shooting out of spec ammo. You might get away with it once or twice but beyond that, I would think it's a crap shoot.

I still enjoy shooting it but, I only run the Standard Velocity ammo through it.

Kind of there directions in handguns. The Phoenix being a compact, rimfire version of what would be a SD, or CCW pistol. The S&W is more in the line of a target pistol, and the Heritage Rough Rider a single action "cowboy" revolver.
For a range toy/plinker any of the three would do the job. Accuracy might be better with the S&W, and possibly the Rough Rider.
What would your purpose for the gun be best described as?

Or ask someone who actuall has enjoyed thousands of rounds of fun trouble free shooting with their P22
But I think the OP has three spacific guns in mind that are currently available to him that he is asking about. Not suggestions for others that are not.

I have the Phoenix hp22 & rough rider. Both have been fine, but I would vote for the S&W. you won't be sorry and will most likely outlast both & go up in value.

I own an hp-22 and a rough rider. I've shot the S&W before. Between the 3, I'd go for the Smith. The Phoenix Arms was cheap ($85), and IMO, that's what it's worth. Has some issues feeding. The Rough Rider I have now is pretty good. I had problems with the first one. But I've shot the 22A with a Boy Scout troop in North Florida, and to my knowledge, they have been reliable.

I have a S&W 22/s - the stainless version of the alloy 22/a.

Please understand, this is not one of S&W's better offerings.
It 's made to a price point and made to go head to head with the Ruger and Browning Buckmark.
It's not as durable as either of those nor is it as refined.

There's a plastic buffer you'll need to replace often.
Just look up the part number on a schematic and call S&W.
They should send you a bunch N/C.

Another area of concern is the "hook" on the back of the barrel/breech assembly.
That hook has been known to break if handled too rough.

The good news is - they seem to follow the S&W heritage for good triggers and accurate guns.
My 22/s is the most accurate gun in my safe - including the rifles.

I only have experience with one of the options you list, the S&W 22A.

Mine has been great, and I enjoy it a lot. The only knock I have on mine is that it is prone to heavy leading. If I shoot 50 rounds of of lead round nose through it, enough lead gathers that it makes it impossible for a cleaning rod to pass through the barrel. I need to use a pick and remove lead before I can clean it. In normal times, this is not an issue as I would just buy ammo with copper plated bullets, but in these tough times for 22lr ammo, I find it being more of a pain as I shoot what I can get.

Even knowing this (and knowing that not all 22As have this issue), I would still recommend it.

Jay24bal - 50 rounds? That sounds like a real pain. I've shot an S&W 22A and it didn't have problems with lead nosed bullets, even the really cheap stuff.

Have you noticed it getting better after shooting it a while? That is. are you still having as much of a problem now as when it was new? I've heard people say the barrel might smooth out after a lot of firing. Shrug. The one I shot was okay even when it was new. I wonder if S&W would consider it enough of a problem to fix it for you.

Oldfart-my vote would still go for the S&W model 22A.

If I shoot 50 rounds of of lead round nose through it, enough lead gathers that it makes it impossible for a cleaning rod to pass through the barrel
Try lapping the barrel.

my main use will be to carry in the woods, i will be carrying a 12 gauge defense gun with me but wanted a 22 for small game if they are in season. thanks

I wonder if S&W would consider it enough of a problem to fix it for you.

Try lapping the barrel.

I would go this route, but the thing is a tack driver and I do not want to mess with it or have S&W drop a new barrel in it. And as for lapping the barrel, I do not see it as worth the expense to lap the barrel on a $200 plinker. I am not shooting competition with it, and it is more accurate than I am. Normally it does not matter as I just buy copper plated ammo, but I mention it now since 22 ammo is hard to find. I am down to about 450 rounds of copper plated ammo left, so I find myself not shooting it as often.

Back