Should I get a KSG or an SBS?

TruthTellers

So I've asked some questions the past few weeks relating to Short Barrel Shotguns, but I think my epiphany has finally happened and it sounds like the KSG is just plain out the better choice.

A 14 inch pump gun is about 9 inch longer than a KSG and even a break action shotgun with a 12 inch barrel is still longer than the KSG.

I could even get a certain model KSG that has a reduced magazine tube, which means I could cut the barrel down and SBS and it would be an astonishing 21 inches OAL.

Somebody tell me the KSG is a total plastic POS and not worth considering or else I'm gonna stop bothering and just get that.

I've seen and held one but not fired one. I was interested 2 years ago, but after reading many reviews online, decided against it, in part because of the price and with some of the early on issues, didn't want to buy "a new model car" (gun). For a similar price, you can buy a well proven shotgun (ok it may not have the same round capacity).

There are quite a few reviews online, I'd suggest you read those first and decide.

if it was me i'd rather have the KSG, but this was when they first introduced them and like all keltec guns hard to get and overpriced.

eventually my lust waned much as it has for the RFB also.

My next kel-tec crush is the RDB but we'll see how it goes.

BTW never laid eyes on the KSG in a shop so can't offer any 1st hand exp.
I just wanted it!

Hey TruthTellers, you may also want to take a look at the UTAS UTS-15, similar idea. Some reviews out there on it too.

I have handled the KSG a few times and a friend has one. He says his shoots just fine and the ones I've handled felt and functioned fine. I would like to get one when I find a good deal, I can wait until then.

Last edited:
Hey TruthTellers, you may also want to take a look at the UTAS UTS-15, similar idea. Some reviews out there on it too.
Absolutely not. I like that it can alternate between the tubes giving it a true 15 round capacity, but it looks like a chunky, unreliable piece.

I saw both Hickok and Nutnfancy's videos and I realized how slow Hickok was racking the pump and amazingly, he didn't have any issues. Nutn was racking the pump super fast and had all sorts of issues. Then, he slowed the speed of the pump down and the issues went away.

The UTAS is not a speed shotgun and if it can't be reliable with a fast pump, I have no interest.

That's the key on either of those - reliability, ... and neither have been out long enough or really vetted hard enough under real-world field-use, like taking one to a "tactical" shotgun course where you'll fire, like, 1200 shells over two or three days. At least, not from the gun rag reviews I've seen.

That said, in up-close engagements, neither the KSG nor the UTS-15 will be as fast as a cut-down double barrel.

Last edited:
I'll throw another recommendation for the DP12. It is a double barrel, so you get 2 shots before pumping and the tubes hold a good amount, but doubled you get a rather large magazine as far as shotguns go. However it is HEAVY, like real heavy, which is nice to help with recoil, but it certainly does require a good bit of stamina to handle and shoot.

Also it's not cheap...

I'll throw another recommendation for the DP12. It is a double barrel, so you get 2 shots before pumping and the tubes hold a good amount, but doubled you get a rather large magazine as far as shotguns go.

Personally, I don't like the DP12 due to that... name me another shotgun that you fire twice, pump, fire twice, pump. If you use a pump shotgun in a defensive role, I think that is bad choice to invest in.

In regards to SBS or KSG... I have a KSG. Due to state laws, I can't do short barreled anything. The KSG and Tavor (went with the shorter barrel, and had a muzzle brake pinned) I picked up is as close to short barreled firearm that I could get.

I got my KSG after Trump won the election. While it seemed like an odd time to buy it and a Tavor, I did it because it at least gave local dealers some income when they were stocking up inventory due to the chance the election went the other way.

I like my KSG. Very well made, and functions perfectly. I'm not too fond of saying it would be a defensive shotgun due to the magazine selector.

For NFA guns, if you plan on crossing state borders, big hassle. KSG would be my suggestion if that is a consideration. If I could do the tax stamp, it is a nice investment... but probably would opt for a suppressor if that was in that situation (not on topic, but being honest).

For NFA guns, if you plan on crossing state borders, big hassle. KSG would be my suggestion if that is a consideration.
Actually, that is something that affects me. I currently live in a crappy state in the Northeast that doesn't allow any NFA anything either. I'm trying to find work in free country West of the Appalachians and when I do, I'm escaping ASAP.

Problem is, if things don't work out long term and I have to move back I can't take the NFA items with me.

I have a Kel Tec Sub2k carbine and it's been flawless since I bought it, so I don't subscribe to the idea that Kel Tec makes junk from piping and plastic.

Screwball, I get what you're saying. It is definitely weird in that respect and you need to practice with it a lot to really get the hang of it.

Truth, I grew up in NY, so I know the feeling. Personally I would say that you will more than likely be able to "make it work" wherever you end up next, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. However if you are dead set on getting something that works in the not-so-free northeastern USA, don't worry about SBS or cutting something down to make an NFA firearm. I think it will be more about the training/practicing with whatever you end up with.

I've a Kel Tec KSG. Make sure to get a new one. Really compact with a lot of capacity. Lot of after market goodies for it too. I do have a DP-12 which is larger and a wonder full shot gun.

Ksg

Forget all those old reviews. The modern gen of both the ksg and uts15 are reliable, I have had both. They both embarrass standard pumps. Nothing is going to give you the ease of use, small package and amazing capacity these will. The ksg is tiny but really the uts15 is a superior design. I never did see the point to a sawed off pump or double with such limited capacity. The ksg and uts15 design give you the compact size with more capacity than you would ever need.

Forget all those old reviews. The modern gen of both the ksg and uts15 are reliable, I have had both. They both embarrass standard pumps. Nothing is going to give you the ease of use, small package and amazing capacity these will. The ksg is tiny but really the uts15 is a superior design. I never did see the point to a sawed off pump or double with such limited capacity. The ksg and uts15 design give you the compact size with more capacity than you would ever need.
I don't care for the lack of capacity in double guns, but I can live with it given how robust they are.

The problem is that adage I read somewhere that "Cheap doubles are rarely good and good doubles are rarely cheap" and that's kind of where I start to see the weakness of a SBS coach gun. I wouldn't want to hack off the barrel of a gun that costs a little bit more than the tax stamp.

The ksg is tiny but really the uts15 is a superior design.
I could hear your nose hit the screen after I read this line, Pinocchio.

Turkish UTAS 15 has had issues. Generation 4.5s are supposed to be some what reliable. Maybe.
Thus why I have a KSG Gen 3.5 and DP-12. Pic attached of mine.

Attachments

• 1a dp 12.jpg
    1a dp 12.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I'm serious. The uts is easier to load, clear and operate. You have more control over the tubes and can see the shells in the tubes better. The ksg is smaller and simple but its a pain in the butt to load.

The DP-12 is made in CT by CSMC. One thing I found with the Kel-Tec, it did NOT like the Aguila mini shells - jams, double feeds, dropping live ammo, etc. Can't tell you if that is endemic to the basic function, the extra short ammo or something else

I have run the mini shells in mine without much issue. They aren't as smooth as normal shells and you have to be very positive on the pump but they should work ok

Back