Should I buy used Diamondback or new SW 617?

skeeter

I think I can get the dealer down from $440 to about $380-390 for his used Diamondback. It looks very good on the outside but racket peening and what looks like shallow rifling are a concern. Would you buy a SW 617 new or want this used Diamondback. The Diamondback has a light smooth trigger that is everything someone could ask for in a revolver and the SW is heavvvvvvvy. Will it lighten up ?

A lot of .38Spls have suprisingly light rifling when new, esp. snubbies. It has a benefit in that the pressure (and velocity) goes up a bit. I hope a real Colt expert shows up and confirms...I've seen a lot of Dick Specials like that, and for that matter my early Charter Arms is pretty shallow, starting from when I got it (used). Still shoots VERY well.

The Diamondback is a damned fine gun...one of the best snubbies made, if it's the 2.5" or 3" tube lengths. Basically the same thing as the Dick Special, but with better sights.

I would go with the diamondback, mainly because I have one. My diamondback is now 21 years (I think) old to me and I am the 2nd owner. I believe mine was made fairly early on, but I never really checked it out.

To answer your question and offer a why, I tried out my first smith a few months back. I was shocked, rough heavy trigger, hard to pull and for lack of a term "gritty" and this was a modern gun, only about 10 years old with only 6 shots through it.

My diamondback is a smooth as the day I bought it, even though it has had 10's of thousands of rounds down it. I have only had one trip to the smith for a broken part and I shoot it fairly routinely again (I went through a long auto only period).

My suggestion is this, go back to the store, try the triggers again, ask to see some other smiths and try the triggers. I have been doing this on and off ever since my experience and you know I have never yet found a trigger quite like my diamondback.

My two cents worth.

I should have mentioned that this is the .22 Diamondback with 4" barrel. It is the only used Diamondback I have come across. It has a trigger that is even better than my Phython. It is the PERFECT trigger. I was just concerned about how much life is left in it and how much wear it has.

Can you still get parts for it?

That would seem to be a pretty reasonable

price for a .22 Diamondback. It would be a wonderful compliment to your Python, but I imagine you already know that.:)

Get the Diamondback.....fast!

I have a .22 Diamondback with a 6" bbl. Beautiful piece of machinery. T

UP,UP, UP and AWAY !

That's the way .22 Diamondbacks have gone. I have not seen a nice 4" for under 400 for a year and a half.
**I THINK YOU ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION !!
"It is the only used DBack I have come across."

I love my Smiths but you can always pick up a M17
(K22)[NOT 617] for under $300.best......dewey

If it comes to that, you can tune a S&W trigger to equal the Colt.
Different, but nice.

I wouldn't be concerned about what appears to be shallow rifling. Most .22's have rifling that may appear shallow, but really isn't. I've never seen or heard of a Colt .22 with shot out rifling. Damaged, pitted, and rusted yes, but never shot out with modern ammo. Find out what brand of ammo it likes, and you'll be astounded at the accuracy of a Diamondback.

If the cylinder has endshake, the proper fix is to stretch the cylinder collar. This should be trusted to Colt ONLY. They have the correct tooling. I've seen a number of botched cylinders by otherwise good 'smiths, who just don't understand Colt's. I've sent a number of .38 'D''s to Colt for this fix, but it's been a number of years, so I can't tell you what it would cost. Let's just say less than $50.00 to be safe.

Unless the "peening" is deep, I wouldn't worry about it, and at that price I'd grab it.

In my experience, I'd be surprised if there is really anything wrong with it. Colt's do sometimes get a small amount of endshake from wear-in of the cylinder. but, every Colt with real endshake I've seen was a .38. I can't remember ever seeing a Colt .22.
If this gun has a worn cylinder problem or worn barrel, one look at the outside will tell the tale---it'll look like hell, with worn bluing and scratches and scuffs.

I have a 6" .22 and love it.

There's not much chance that a .22 revolver has been shot out -- other than outright physical abuse, which should be visible.

There is/was a thread recently on what to look for in a used revolver. Print it out and take it with you to make sure you don't miss something, but again, with a .22, it's a relatively low-risk situation. The biggest risk is probably a bad muzzle from sloppy cleaning.

You'll not regret the Diamondback.

Buy a new S&W ? The company that has agreed to let the government dictate their design. The company that will give some of your purchase money to the gvt agents in return for their effectively becoming company board members...with dictatorial power over the rest of the board. Another portion of your money to those who would disarm us. And yet more of your money for smart gun research. The company that has agreed to prohibit sellers of it's product from selling whatever the gvt determines to be an assult rifle. That will essentially outlaw sales of grandfatherd standard capacity mags. The company that is working to insure that in the near future all hand guns will be operable only by the registered owner. Smart guns that your wife, partner or friend cant fire. Or your new smart Wilson will suffer battery failure when needed the most. The company that would insure that the cost of ALL handguns rises to where those in low income brackets will be unable to afford the most effect personal protection.

Please read at least one of the agreements they have signed on to. Here is the first one in it's entirety. http://www.nraila.org/FactSheets.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=31&1=View

Argue that they have been bought by an American company.....but while doing so note that the new owners, Safe-T-Hammer, have pledged to honor the agreements.

Argue that the agreements are not being enforced at this time...but think about if the present administration has a change of heart or there is a change of personnel in the white house.

They have thumbed their nose at "shall not be infringed"

Their customer support, quality control and manufacturing have been spotty of late to go along with it.

I have owned K-22s and Model 17s that performed flawlessly over the years. Excellent match quality handguns. Those days are gone.

Please buy the Colt.

Sam

Skeeter; I would go with the 617 as long as it is not the 10-shot version with the aluminum cylinder which was offered a while ago. I have the 6- shot stainless cylinder and believe that they offer the 10-round in stainless now. Trigger can be made very nice with alittle polishing and lighter rebound spring. QUADCAB

You will always be able to find another 617. The Diamondback is a real find and a great deal! I think you will be kicking yourself in later years if you pass on it.

As an aside the new Smiths I have seen have really gone down hill. Why buy a new one when you can get a better quality gun used for $150 less?

M617 OR A DIAMOND BACK...HMMM

GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND GO BUY THE DIAMONDBACK NOW. THOSE PISTOLS HAVE A STERLING REPUTATION FOR ACCURACY. THE LAST ONE I FIRED, A PALS 6" VERSION PUT THE FIRST 6 ROUNDS INSIDE A DIME FOR ME AT 25 YARDS AT THE OLD COOR'S RANGE IN GOLDEN COLORADO.

ON THE OTHER HAND M617'S HAVE A REPUTATION FOR GOING BANG WITH EVERY PULL OF THE TRIGGER AND SOMEWHERE DOWNRANGE THERE WILL BE A BULLET STRIKE. MY 4" M617 IS GOING BACK TO S+W RSN FOR A NEW 10 SHOT CYLINDER; THE SIXER IS A NOISY SLINGSHOT ACCURATE ENOUGH FOR HITTING NUMBER 10 CANS BUT NOT MUCH ELSE.

That's why they make chocolate and Vanilla! I had one, the gun you're describing, and it was NOT as accurate as a Model 17 or 41. I sent it to Pachmyer for their magic, but they could only do so much. Personally, I prefer Smith & Wesson. I've tried several Colt revolvers, but never had one that was as accurate as its S&W counter-part. The triggers seem excellent, but after much trying, gave up on Colt for double-action shooting. A design problem! But, they do seem to be demanding a good price. So, in that respect, a Diamondback is a good buy.

skeeter- i already answered you e-mail when i first got it, before i saw this posting.

let me just add my vote for the d'back because they are so hard to find...i'm always on the look out for another but i'm too cheap to pay that much for one, i can be picky because i already have both :D

my 4" d'back was much more accurate than the 6" d'back, i had a hard time picking up the front sight because it was so much shorter...one of the few disapointments with the d'backs

Back