Should I buy a revolver?

An automatic transmission is easy to drive, but to really DRIVE you need a manual shift. As for becoming a "safe queen", no way. But now, the S&W has to share space. After that session, I bought the Ruger on my way out.

I like that!

Yup, I still drive a clutch.

Driftwood Johnson said:
I must respectfully disagree. The 686 I bought last year did not have the barrel screwed in quite correctly. That is why I had to crank the rear sight way over to one side to get it to hit at the point of aim.

A defect like that would never have left the factory when there was more attention to detail, and more important, when there were more inspection steps.

Out-of-spec guns are certainly out there, but 1) they don't prove a rule and 2) they've always been: A friend of mine asked me to do an action job on a nice vintage pre-lock gun, and it looked like drunk monkeys did the machining and assembly. A defect like that should have never left the factory, either.

In contrast, I have several newer S&Ws I've shot the batsnot out of without a hitch. And as far as accuracy, they've been at least as accurate as their pre-57 counterparts.

Importantly, though, none of this does proves that vintage guns are categorically and functionally better or worse than new models. My point instead, is that, while I like vintage pre-lock/pre-MIM S&Ws as much as anyone, if the OP's solely looking for a shooter, I still wouldn't rule out newer models. I'd be sure to inspect any gun before you buy, though.

Revolvers are more reloader friendly and few things ruin a shooting session faster than a bad magazine or a bad lot of ammo in a semiauto.

Should you buy a revolver? That depends.... My buddy has a maybe 4 or 5 revolvers. But he hasn't brought one out to shoot in at least a couple of years now. He always brings auto-pistols. I always bring my Vaquero. He thinks I'm really, really good with it. Well, I'm just pretty good with it, but that's because I shoot it every time. He's got so dern many guns that I'm not sure any one gets regular, every-time use. And he keeps buying more! He'll swear he's done, but then he gets another! And his two lever-guns and poor revolvers don't get no show anymore. But the black-plastic tactical stuff has become the focus of his entire attention span. So maybe you shouldn't buy a revolver. Clearly, they are not for everyone. I don't own an AR nor AK nor Glock nor anything Tacticool. That stuff just doesn't float my boat. But from your list, it looks like you lean my buddy's direction. You might buy a nice revolver, run a couple of boxes of ammo through it a few times and be done with it.

While I agree with Saxon Pig, I'll ask..."What's the worst thing that will happen?" You won't like it? Oh well. Sell it, trade, whatever and get something else.

It's not a life altering decision.

The great thing about buying a used revolver is: if for some reason you do not like it, you can resell it and probably not lose much$$. Go buy a used 686 and enjoy. But once you shoot a S&W revolver you'll want more. It's an expensive addiction.

Asking if you 'should' is sort of pointless, and asking if a revolver would become a safe queen if you don't like it is probably one of those "if you have to ask..." sorts of questions.

I've found that, for myself, revolver shooting at the range is a different sort of shooting than how I shoot the auto pistol. I own just two wheelguns now, and both are fairly heavy. So, I tend to fire 1 or 2 times, then take a bit of a break and reflect on how much fun I'm having and how I could have done the shots better. Or not.

As a shooter who didn't 'grow up' on revolvers and always thought they were kind of big, clumsy, goofy and obsolete...I can tell you they're fun. Enjoyable to shoot. With a bunch of pistols at the house, my last 10 trips to the range have been to shoot more revolver...I guess I've fallen totally in love with 44 Mag, and really can't get enough of it.

MY only real reason to even get a revolver in the first place was because there was one gun I thought 'looked cool' and that I still find to be about the most gorgeous big handgun going*, and I was intrigued with 44 Mag. So, it's unlikely I'd ever have any interest in a revolver that fires auto pistol ammo--I'd buy an auto pistol. I have no interest in shooting a revolver for any practical reason or in shooting obscure cartridges or in shooting anything I consider somewhat 'unworthy' of what I happen to think the wheelgun really excels at (which is...shooting respectably heavy duty rounds). I'd be more likely to go the other way--buying an automatic that's chambered for a rimmed cartridge.

Shooting in single action with a nice SW trigger will bring a big smile to your face...I can almost guarantee. I buy carry guns for 'practical' reasons with 'practical' criteria. I bought both revolvers (626-4 Hunter and Super Redhawk Alaskan) because I thought they were very cool and very fun and I enjoy gazing at them as much as shooting them. I wouldn't even consider buying a revolver for any practical reason (I don't hunt, don't silhouette and have no friends to impress)...I'd buy because they're a freakin' blast to shoot, and I guess because I happen to think .357 and .44 are more than 'classic', they're extraordinary successes. I'm kind of an idiot, though, so take that into consideration.

*that would be this monster of impracticality:

This specimen was definitely a 'safe queen' before I got it, and clearly had never been fired at all...that's all over now. My personal goal is to wear it out before I die...and time is running short.

He's got so dern many guns that I'm not sure any one gets regular, every-time use. And he keeps buying more!

Yup. A colleague of mine was showing me a grotesque (i.e., 'beautiful') AR he'd put together, and over a year later when I asked about it, he'd not fired it yet. Then, 6 months later he'd built a 2nd one. I asked how it compared to the first one he'd built, and he said he hadn't "had a chance" to fire either of them.

What the ** is the point? I like to fondle and clean and gaze as much as the next guy...but AFTER I've pumped at least a few rounds downrange.

Last edited:
Back