Should I buy a revolver?

Miles2014

Happy new year, all!

Well, I'm thinking of adding a new gun to the family. I've got Sigs, Berettas, HK, a 1911, an AR, 10/22, shotguns, but I don't own a classic revolver...I do own a Ruger LCR. I was thinking of picking up a SW 686 (3-4 inch) or possibly another 1911. My only apprehension is will I like it, will it just become a safe queen?

I know they're a little challenging to shoot, but for those that own them, does it make sense to buy one?

Thanks

It makes sense to buy one. Over 25 yds, my revolvers are far easier to hit with. That is why i hunt with them. Also easier to keep brass.

Why not? I have several from 32SWL to 357. Load for all of them fro, mild to hot.
Pros - no worry about bullet shape or power to work the action; brass is easy to keep
Cons - more elbow grease to clean than a Glock

The single action triggers on my S&Ws are amazing, better than any semi I have

If you want one, go for it. Grab yourself a Smith and Wesson Model 10 and call it good. For center fire plinking they're hard to beat. Classic, accurate, and still relatively inexpensive for what you're getting.

No. You obviously don't want one if you are asking strangers what you should buy. I wouldn't do anything I was this unsure about.

Get a 4" barreled, medium frame .38/.357 revolver and go shoot happy. I'm a big fan of the L-frame S&W .357s (586, 686, 581, 681) as being big enough to be comfortable shooting with full-power ammo while still having grips small enough for most people to use effectively. The K-frame guns (Model 10, 12, 14, 15, 19, 64, 65, 66, 67 to name a few) are great for shooting .38 Specials out of but not my pick for anything with more power. Also good are the Ruger GP and -Six series guns.

As for being "challenging to shoot", how so? It's all sight alignment and trigger squeeze. Some practice with a speedloader and dummy rounds will take care of the "slow reload" issue quite nicely. You can dry-fire practice very easily with a DA revolver. (It never runs empty or needs to be manually reset, sort of like a movie gun.) I prefer a good S&W DA trigger to the glass-rod breaking SA that many tout at "the best". Probably all of my time spent on DA S&Ws, Glocks and two-stage rifle triggers. Learn to be comfortable with a double-action trigger pull and everything else becomes magically easy to shoot. ;)

If you plan to do any reloading, the .38 Special is a very forgiving cartridge to learn to work with. Bonus points for not chasing brass over the range. A consideration I'm now getting very familiar with with my new .38 Super 1911. Only running about a 92% recovery rate and you can't just sweep the range floor for extras every trip... :eek:

Once you start with revolvers it can be hard to stop. Sending 240 grains of lead out of a 8 inch barreled S&W Model 29 or a Ruger Super Blackhawk
makes those auto's seem like shooting 22's.
And of course there is the Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt, if you want more power there is the 454, 480 Ruger, and the S&W 460.
I don't think there is a autoloader that will give that kind of power in the same price range.

My first handgun almost 20 years ago was a revolver. A Ruger Vaquero stainless in .357 magnum. Many handguns later it is still my favorite.

New shooters love it with my mild 38 loads and it'll go all the way to hard hitting 357.

Can you try one out for yourself before you buy one? Opinions on something is one thing but asking strangers that don't know you from Adam if you will like something is something else.
When I got my girlfriend into shooting a couple of years ago I was certain a revolver was the way to go, to this day she hates them. Lesson learned, I don't assume squat when it comes to firearms any longer.

Last edited:
Get the revolver. I've been shooting revolvers in competition for 40 years. I always enjoy it. I love the double action pulls, the reliability and the fact that I get all my brass back.

The 686 you mentions is a great gun. You may want to add a trigger job, not necessary if you are shooting single action. You can also buy speed loaders for it.

If you desire to shoot competition check out ICORE.ORG for local clubs.

Can you try one out for yourself before you buy one?

Seriously,I think this would be the best idea. I like shooting my revolvers more than my semi-autos but that is not the case for everyone. I also appreciate the look of the revolver more. It is something you have to decide for yourself though. Nobody here can make the decision what is right for you.

Of all my hand guns this one is the one I am the most accurate with. Not sure if its all the gun or what but it just seems to work out that way.
bb3616b2e413d61a174c35c02f0bd669.jpg
4610fb90fa846f01c992640ac990db75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mentioned the S&W 686 in 4 inch. Go for it. Your curious so go buy one.

It's possible after shooting a lot of semi's you might need some time for the classic DA revolver to 'grow' on you. Just shooting one once at the range might not bring out all the qualities you will grow to appreciate.

1. You don't have to chase your brass.
2. It's ready to fire. DA or SA your choice.
3. You don't have to worry about ammo like with a semi. .38 Special powder puff loads-fine. Light loads-fine. Medium loads-fine. Heavy loads-fine. Bear scarin' full bore .357 loads-fine. It's all up to you.

Good luck.

P.S. The S&W 686/586 and Ruger .357 GP 100 Match Champion and S&W model 27 discussions are going on here and I'd personally lean toward the Ruger.

Here's a couple discussion threads you might be interested in.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582129

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563360

"...thinking of picking up a S&W 686..." It fit your hand? Gigantic pictures aside, not all revolvers fit all hands. Changing grips may or may not help either.
And, yes, you should buy one if you want one.

Yes! I own many revolvers and many semi-automatic pistols. I prefer the revolvers. The S&W sounds like a good choice to start off with. A single-action Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk would be my second choice. Those single actions are FUN to shoot! :)

Happy new year, all!

Well, I'm thinking of adding a new gun to the family. I've got Sigs, Berettas, HK, a 1911, an AR, 10/22, shotguns, but I don't own a classic revolver...I do own a Ruger LCR. I was thinking of picking up a SW 686 (3-4 inch) or possibly another 1911. My only apprehension is will I like it, will it just become a safe queen?

I know they're a little challenging to shoot, but for those that own them, does it make sense to buy one?

Thanks

Given this small amount of information, I think you might enjoy a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Long Colt, perhaps 5 1/2 barrel blue. I feel these guns are more manageable than the 1911. if you like those, this this will be a nice shooter for you. That is one way to go. There are bigger revolvers and one difference between semi auto and revolvers is the added power. I think you might even consider a 44mag Redhawk if you want to try big. But, 45LC is a classic and good fun. I suggest the 45. I also see a lot of reasonably priced 45LC ammo in boxes of 50.

Another idea is a Ruger Mk IV semi auto 22LR. Not a revolver. I dont see any economical rimfire handgun you can use for accurate work and low cost. The best option right now is the Hunter from Ruger. I personally would wait for the slab side target model which should be available soon. Right now, the only slab side is a hi price commemorative.

The 22 single six is a revolver that could be used the same as the MkIV and easy to tote around, hunting, plinking. In my experience the accuracy falls shorts of the Mk IV. If that matters. It probably should not, its a great little gun. Fires 22LR and 22mag. As for accuracy probably as good as any of the semi-autos you are now shooting.

Last edited:
In 2016 I got back into shooting handguns. I had become bored with my semi-autos, as the range I have access to is an indoor, square, static range.

However, I've had a great time re-discovering the joy of shooting double-action. Handgun shooting is challenging again, and therefore fun.

I mostly shoot my 6" S&W 586, but I have a few others I like to bring, too.

Thanks all, a lot of great information here.

FYI, Fourbore, I do have a 22LR....a Ruger Mark III Hunter. I have shot the SW686 and the Ruger GP 100 and like them both. Those are the two of which I've narrowed it down.

Thoughts between those two?
Thanks!

Back