Should I be unhappy with these groups?

I have a Savage 10 Stealth but in .308 Win. All I did was mount a small Nikon Monarch with Warne rings and install a cheap procomp brake and went to the range.

I tried some cheaper stuff to sight in close and break the barrel in. 150gr Fed Fusion mostly. It hovered around MOA or a little bigger.

Then I shot some ELD-X and Fed GMM and both shot ok. The ELD-X wasn't much better than American Hunter or Fusion. The Gold Metal Match was holding 5 shot groups around 3/4"-1". Then I tried some Nolser Custom Competition and they have by far been the load of choice for my Stealth. I have 3 and 5 shot groups from 3/8" to 5/8". Most around 1/2". Not alot of 5 shot groups but the times I have laid down 5, my groups don't normally open up enough to speak of.

I'm sure somebody else could shoot it better and handloading would probably up the consistency but for me and my lowly skills and for what I use it for I have no accuracy complaints with the Stealth.

When I get a new rifle, I don't shoot it before pillar/epoxy bedding and free-floating the barrel with at least 1/16" clearance. After it sets up for a day, I'll take it out, clean up the bedding job, then take it to the range on a good shooting day.

The recoil plate needs clearance on the bottom and front with two layers of masking tape, one layer on each side.

I don't expect half-inch groups until firing about 50 rounds, without letting the barrel get hot.

The new-ish Remington 700 CDL Stainless-Fluted shoots half-inch or better three-shot groups with handloads. Some groups are scary-tight. It's a joy to shoot, handling recoil very well and looking very nice.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589114

Back