Shotguns, the most common gun used by farmers?

Giant corn and apple farmers arent so much concerned about crows as we are about other pests. :rolleyes: Being an apple farmer i can tell you right now there isnt one flying pest i do care about. If anything they keep mice away. Todays farmers are just as into technology as the next person. People would be amazed at today's farming methods. Our equipment and yes even our carried weapons have evolved with game laws and practicality. Nobody carries a 12 gauge double and a single shot 22. Those days are long long gone.

Last edited:
Giant corn and apple farmers arent so much concerned about crows as we are about other pests. Being an apple farmer i can tell you right now there isnt one flying pest i do care about. If anything they keep mice away. Todays farmers are just as into technology as the next person. People would be amazed at today's farming methods. Our equipment and yes even our carried weapons have evolved with game laws and practicality. Nobody carries a 12 gauge double and a single shot 22. Those days are long long gone.
Well for you money does grow on trees. :)

I would imagine modern farmers are using high tech methods and machinery to run their farms. I've been to Epcot and on some of the rides they show futuristic farming and harvesting. I wouldn't expect a farmer to carry a single shot weapon today, at least a pump action if not a semi auto. I've got a friend whose a farmer and he has a double barreled 12 gauge shotgun, but he's in Denmark where its required by law that shotguns cannot be able to hold more than 2 rounds.

I like rifles because as im driving over back and see bambi eating the buds off my trees i can step out and drop her with my 06. Thats a good trick to do with my wingmaster. :o. Those rows can be 3 or 400 hundred yards long at times.

We have an old Mossy 500 12ga with a mobli choke for the family ranch. But, my old uncle picked up a HR 20ga single shot for $30 at an auction that he uses.

I just picked up an old savage 511 12ga for cheap that I'll use as a beater and truck gun. It should out last the old truck LOL

Well I was wondering if a farmer needs a hunting license to shoot the vermin on their farm or for that matter larger animals as some of the posts here talk about shooting deer on farms which eat crops.

Also, how about animal nuts? I would think farmers get lots of grief from them. Animal nuts are very hostile towards hunters and to some extent fishermen as well so I would think they would be the same way towards farmers that breed livestock.

State game laws vary from state to state so the answer is yes, no, and other. In Michigan you can get tags from the state for deer depending on the amount of land you have. Some states make you buy a base license.

When it comes to bad animals like wolves attacking cattle it has to be really documented with places the the Department of Natural Resources to get the go ahead to shoot one of them.

Here's an example page for the Wisconsin DNR.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/hunt.html

I thought that in most states, if you take game out of season you would be in trouble if caught. However, your chances of being caught on your own land are pretty slim if the pest is small and not to be eaten.

Big difference between a deer and a crow, as far as disposal. You certainly wouldn't want to take an out of season deer to a butcher to process. But I guess we all have eaten crow......:D

Well I was wondering if a farmer needs a hunting license to shoot the vermin on their farm or for that matter larger animals as some of the posts here talk about shooting deer on farms which eat crops.

The answer is yes and no, depending on local laws, and attitudes.

Point of view matters, as one side seeing "taking game out of season" and the other "pest control". Most states have laws spelling out the difference. Farmers and ranchers have a natural and legal right to defend their crops and herds.

Many believe they have this right even against protected species. Some will follow the rules and get legal permission, some will not.

I do remember that when Uncle Jim caught 3 deer n the corn in August, the whole hollow ate venison for a week, including the Sherriff....:D

was aware of another Colt something laying loaded in the Night Stand draw on his side of the bed and within his reach a 12ga double mod 21 winchester always loaded with O-O buck standing in the corner next to his side of the bed also. Both firearms were untouchable for us kids. Under "penalty of death or something like it " so I was told by my older siblings.
The thing is, if a child touches it it can result in penalty of death when the child accidentally kills themselves. And Im not necessarily talking about a child that lives at the house who should hopefully know better, it could be a friend over for a visit.

Guns are like medicine or anything else potentially dangerous when you've got children around, you just have to take proper precautions and keep them out of reach.

Today a husband bringing a firearm into >HER< house. Doing so might bring about his forfeiture of sleeping quarters until its removal. Maybe a stern warning even? "The firearm leaves the premise's or you do." a situation the wives of not so long ago knew better to put their husband in. Oh well.
I might get flamed for saying this but Im going to say it anyway. What you just described is a weak husband. HE needs to remind her who wears the trousers and whose boss of the household.

These days when both parents may work to provide...it's less of whose 'boss', and more of a partnership in many homes. Each to his own.

After 40 years or so....being the boss is a card that's played only when necessary.

But I still wear the pants and refuse to wear an apron when I vaccum. :D
And won't carry a 'man purse'.

Last edited:
These days when both parents may work to provide...it's less of whose 'boss', and more of a partnership in many homes. Each to his own.

After 40 years or so....being the boss is a card that's played only when necessary.

But I still wear the pants and refuse to wear an apron when I vaccum.
A won't carry a 'man purse'.

But you nevertheless do keep guns in your house, as its your prerogative.

Back