Shotguns, the most common gun used by farmers?

Photon Guy

I know that most farmers do have guns, its one of the tools of their trade just like tractors and plows. As for the most common gun owned and used by farmers, it stands to reason it would be the shotgun. A shotgun is best for taking out vermin that eat and damage their crops so I would think most farmers have a bunch of shotguns and perhaps a .22 rifle as well as that too can be used against vermin. I don't see much use for a handgun in farming and as I mentioned a .22 rifle comes in handy but I would think shotguns are mostly what farmers use.

I think you're going to run into location as a problem. What is a farmer?

I know a guy who's family runs one of the largest dairy farms in Northern Michigan. They have a wolf and deer problem.

I have a friend in the UK who's a gamekeeper and he shoots a lot of crow, woodpigeon, fox, squirrels and rats?

In the long run I think it depends on what animal you may run into a problem with. I'm sure the people on the central flyway are frustrated right now about the snow geese and banging away at them with shotguns.

When shotguns and rifles are first options i'm sure pistols are close to a last option depending on the animals people are having problems with.

Well a shotgun is very universal in that it can be effectively used against just about any animal. Handguns I wouldn't think would be used for varmint control except as a backup.

Years ago many farm houses had at least one double barrel 12 gauge behind the back entry door. Today there just aren't that many farm houses. Sadly, the family farm is pretty much a thing of the past.

Not the ones I know - all doing well. most carry some form of AR on the UTV here for hogs and coyotes

not sure

I'm going to contradict, and claim that the most common firearm in the farm pickup (in my area anyhow) is still a rusty, beat up, .22 rifle. Quiet, no recoil, ammo easily stored (though still a bit hard to come by here) and enough reach past shotgun range to be more useful than the scattergun. Next might possibly be a .22 mag rifle. I suppose a modern Farmer Brown might have a .17 HMR.

You can head shot a pest at 75 yds (or more) with a rimfire and it'll be grave yard dead. At 75 yds (and certainly more ) with a shotgun, it's plenty safe.

Shotguns&Farmers

Blindstitch is spot on! In the interest of space,here is 65yrs. of animal/varmit control and firearm used on an central Indiana farm:#1 22Lr/H v (long ways) #2 .222-.223 Class(changing landscapes/quarry habits) #3 12ga. Shotgun(nite operations/heavy loads) #4 .357Mag/9MM class(opportunity/protection.It' not all inclusive,just a glimpse from a farmer/firearm guy.:) Skeets

The number one "farm gun" is probably a .22lr rifle. Followed closely by a scattergun of some time. The .22lr can be used for pest control, small game hunting, and large game hunting with proper brain shots.

Most commonly owned? Don't know.
Most used around here seem to be a 22 handgun (usually a Ruger, either auto or single-six) and a high velocity rifle, usually a 243, 270, or 7mm mag.

Around me the 12 ga seems popular with farmers who aren't shooters, but many have quite a few guns.

I don't know any one gun farmers who can head-shot anything at 75 yards.

Well I would think also some of the large powerful rifles would be needed by some farmers depending on where they farm. Sometimes predators can be a danger to livestock and in some places I would imagine big bears can be a problem. I heard that a single cow is worth about $15000 and that's not to mention the reproductive value of the cow, if the cow has offspring how much they would be worth and so forth. You wouldn't want to lose any cattle. So if you're farming in bear country I would say a .375 H&H Magnum would be a good choice.

Heck, I thought everyone one with a pickup truck carried a lever action 30-30!

You will find people in New Jersey with pickup trucks but usually they don't carry lever action 30-30s, not in New Jersey they don't.

Seeing more and more cattle ranchers in my area of S. Missouri carrying AR15's in their farm trucks. These are old timers too.

Shotguns are just too limited in range to be worth carrying around in cattle country.

Historically speaking, the shotgun...

Since the days of flintlocks, the shotgun has been the most common "farm" gun. Because it is the most versatile.

Crown muskets become fowling pieces when loaded with shot instead of ball.

Many of the most common "predators" farmers have to defend against fly more than they walk. For this, a shotgun is superior.

Also deadly on small and large game, within its range limits.

Until fairly recently if there was only one gun on the farm, odds were very high it was a shotgun.

Lots of rifles in use, no question, but I think over all (and over all time) the shotgun was/is the more common gun.

Ranchers, have different concerns, and rifles are more common for stock protection. Also not at all uncommon to find a rifle /carbine in the truck (or on the horse) for protecting the herd, and a shotgun in the house, for protecting the garden.

Quiet, no recoil, ammo easily stored and cheap to buy. Most farmers don't carry any firearm unless they need to. They don't have time to muck around with shooting varmints.
"...a .375 H&H Magnum would be a good choice..." No, it wouldn't. Bears rarely bother anybody or anything. Ya'll really need to get over this irrational fear of bears. Yogi is not hiding behind every tree and bush waiting to pounce on you. He sees you as nothing but trouble and will avoid you as much as possible.

On our farm and most around its a deer caliber bolt action rifle. I carry a 4 inch model 19 357 mag in a shoulder rig as well. My grandfather does carry a 10/22 for woodchucks however seeing as most are close to buildings.

On our farm and most around its a deer caliber bolt action rifle.

Not all that effective against crows and as 44 AMP pointed out its the flying pests you have to deal with. A shotgun is best for crows although I did take down a crow with a pellet gun.

Also depending on where you're at snakes can be a problem. For snakes I would choose a shotgun or a handgun loaded with snake shot.

When I was younger, the Remington 870 in 12 gauge was ubiquitous. Seemed like everyone had one on the gun rack with a .22 caliber rifle.

The rifle was for pests, but the shotgun was for hunting game. At least pheasants, turkeys, doves, geese and ducks. Now not every farmer hunted, but those who did, favored the 870 pump and maybe their fathers double barrel 12.

Farmers with livestock favored shotguns because they were less likely to cause any accidental damage to livestock or the old Massey that they left in the corner of the field.

Those who were into coyote hunting (pest) might have another larger caliber rifle and dogs, but many just had the 22 for the occasional coyote kill.

As deer (pest & game) became more common and larger in numbers, more farmers began to hunt them with larger caliber rifles, which were mandated by game laws.

I'm sure those days are gone. I don't see gun racks in pickups any more. That says something about our current society and theft.

I don't think there is much difference between farmers and everyone else these days. I think that they have AR's and pistols for the same reasons as anybody.

Back