shotgun vs. pistol

jf016

Inactive
What will you bring out when you here a noise in the middle of the night??
Taking everything into consideration..

I go for the shotgun. I have an 870 with a topfolder that makes it handy indoors--not to mention the Surefire flashlight mounted on it.

00 buck ought to do it.

Attachments

• P8300064.jpg
    P8300064.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 224
Moving or staying put?

The plan is to stay put and use a long gun. (Although it's a 5.56 carbine, rather than a shotgun these days.)

If any noises need "investigating", they can wait 'til morning, or the arrival of the guys in the blue suits.

For an intruder in the house...a pistol. Hands down !!!! Or up :-)

Reason: roaming around the house at night with a long gun is a bad idea. A long gun can be easily grabbed by someone lurking around a dark corner. If someone gets ahold of your barrel then you are done. With a long gun you lose maneuverability and speed in close quarters.

I would recommend sticking with a trusty revolver for home defense. Put a "frag shot" in as the first two rounds and then some JHP as backup.

I am a safe room kind of guy myself. I am planning on having a line of fire, and a lot of spare rounds, and a big knife, and a little knife. I am not a room to room guy, they would have to remove a railing, and a door to get anything like the diswasher, and fridge. I'll shoot the 25" inch TV, and $50 DVD player. So they have to figure out how to unsrew an above the range microwave. :) Call 911 on the cell and wait, the PD is about 2 miles so for a robbery in progress figure 10 minutes, 5 miles over the speed limit, 2 minutes. They wife can even shoot threw the ceiling down at them. :D

If any noises need "investigating", they can wait 'til morning, or the arrival of the guys in the blue suits.

I'm assuming you don't have young children? Sometimes you have to move. I plan for the contingency.

One hundred and five pounds of well trained Doberman :D
The dog sleeps down stairs and the family sleeps upstairs so for me it's dog backed by an 870 loaded with 3" #4 buck shot(I like the extra pellets) from the top of the stairs.

Well, my son is 19 and prefers the shotgun loaded with #6 birdshot.
I use a Tarus 66 with 158 gr hollowpoints.
Wife uses a Rossi 92 357 with 158 gr. hollowpoints.

However, I also have a drive alarm, and have an outside camera, so don't have to leave the comfort of the home to see what little gremlin is outside!

I cover the back door, kid covers the front door, and momma stays put behind us with the cell phone and the rifle!

So far, only had the house alarm go off once, would have been scary to anyone seeing the three of us with the guns primed and ready...

CJNies: "One hundred and five pounds of well trained Doberman"

statistics show the greatest deterrant for robbery is a loud barking dog... the burglar will simply move on to a house without a dog... a barking dog wakes people up... the last thing they want.

Right now it’s my issue Glock 19 or my Smithy mod 60.

I wish I had a shotty but I live in the city in a really old apartment bldg on the third floor.

1) I live 45 minutes from the local PD (Sherrif) on a good day, . . . longer on others.

2) All "bumps in the night" have to be either investigated or dismissed.

3) Strategically placed night lights illuminate the whole of the downstairs quite well enough to allow me to see out of a dark bedroom and "inch around" seeing what is going on.

4) Cell phone is near at hand, . . . and wife should be in the bathroom doing the calling.

5) Only because of the unique layout of my house, would I take the .45 1911. In another layout, . . . my 7 shot Beretta 12 ga semi auto would probably be a better choice. Here, the 1911 is the weapon of choice.

6) If the "bump" needs investigating outside, . . . Beretta in hand, 1911 in waistband, . . . (wishing I had a couple of grenades :D :D )

May God bless,
Dwight

Ditto Lycanthrope, with slight amendments:

If I'm staying put: Shotgun, with a rifle backup.

If I have to navigate a lot of corners: Pistol, with shotgun backup slung over shoulder.

Back