Shotgun to the Face of Unarmed Man - Proper

The robber helped by getting way too close.

A lot of people could have done that, due to the robber's poor tactics. Most probably would not have tried.

Main error I noted on the victim's part was that he did not really move his body much, and relied too much on his hands. In this instance, it worked, but his percentages would have been better if he had moved off the X and closed on the BG while deflecting/grabbing with his hand(s). Still, since it worked, in this instance his percentage was 100%, so I am only critiquing and not criticizing.

We spend a lot of time focused on firearms for defense often forgetting the most important weapon of all.

Right! Not being armed or not having access to your own gun does not mean that you have to be defenseless.

The sweep to get the muzzle out of his face, I would argue, was a gut reaction. I certainly think a lot of people would have done that. What is surprising is that it turned into disarming the bad guy who apparently didn't have a decent hold on the shotgun. So that aspect was pure luck. The obvious defense for the person with the long gun that has the muzzle grabbed is to pull back. This helps align the gun with the person holding it by the muzzle (especially if one-handed), and then you have a shot.

I think what you had there was an inexperienced robber and definitely one that was not highly determined, still a very deadly threat, but not highly determined. The robber gave up, basically, at the first sign of loss of control.

Low marks on situational awareness before AND after the shotgun was pumped.
High marks on remaining cool
High marks on taking advantage of the robber's mistakes
High marks on getting lucky
Low marks on chasing after the robber with poor control of the shotgun (because apparently you can't readily control the shotgun for use if you are also retaining your smart phone in the other hand)

Free shotgun! :eek::D

That looked like guts and luck to me. Would I have tried it? Maybe. There are a ton of variables. Could I have done the same? Sure, and I have practiced better ways of doing it.

High marks, so to speak, for being freaking nuts.

The risk he took was insane.

Are you aware of the murder rate in the area he was in?

You believe that there would be LESS risk in trusting your life to a hopped-up street punk with a shotgun inches from your head?

Given the tactical situation he was in, I believe that he took the LESS risky option. It would have been different if the punk was further away.

Metro New Orleans murder map:

http://www.nola.com/crime/murders/

The robber made a common mistake he used the gun like they do in the movies. Held high in your face, looks cool on TV but it is a huge tactical error.

If he would of had the gun at his waist and 10-15ft away he would be extremely hard to disarm without getting shot.

My reaction would depend on what was being said. If it was ~"give me your wallet" I would have given the guy my wallet ($40 and a few calls to my banks isn't worth getting shot over), if it was ~"I'm going to kill you" I would have probably tried something.
Or that's my guess. Having never been in that situation I don't really know...

It does show the potential danger in getting in too close. You do loose a certain amount of the advantage a gun provides when the other person can grab it.
Had the BG stayed 5-6' back he'd probably still have his gun.

The sweep to get the muzzle out of his face, I would argue, was a gut reaction. I certainly think a lot of people would have done that.
I think so too, and a lot of people may be successful even though the gun goes off. Steven Seagal's second movie, Hard to Kill illustrates this; as he sweeps the shotgun aside, it fires, narrowly missing his head, showing even an Aikido master is prone to the same dangers. Hollywood, yes, but at least one of his best.

Free shotgun!
:D A true gun guy. Believe it or not, that was the first thing I thought as well.;)

I would probably do it, don't know if it would work, but all you have to do is move a combination of the gun and your head 4 inches and it won't hit you, and once you've grabbed the pointy end you've suddenly become much more dangerous than them - because you've taken away their weapon and you're on kill or be kill mode, and he was just trying to rob you, so not in the same ballpark as far as physical state.

Free shotgun?

It's a nice idea, but in the real world... the guy called the police, as he should have. The gun was used in a crime, and the police would've wanted it as evidence.

It's a nice idea, but in the real world... the guy called the police, as he should have. The gun was used in a crime, and the police would've wanted it as evidence.

I am pretty sure those comments were facetious. Even though the weapon had been handled I am sure if the police were interested it could have yielded some good evidence.

Back