Shotgun Ranking Survey

Hi Everyone,

If you had to rank these four 12 gauge shotguns, which ones would earn the top three places?

Benelli M1 Super 90
Mossberg 590A1 20”
Mossberg 590 Shockwave
Keltec KSG

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

If you had to rank these four 12 gauge shotguns, which ones would earn the top three places?

Benelli M1 Super 90
Mossberg 590A1 20”
Mossberg 590 Shockwave
Keltec KSG
Rank for what? Hunting? Home defense? Operating in the front seat of a Toyota?

Each scenario would cause me to throw a different one out.

For just about any scenario utilizing a shotgun outside of the clays games and bird hunting, you've already got them ranked by usefulness.

That's pretty much the correct order.

But, still...
I'm not buying any of them.

I lost the mall ninja side of me when I was about 16 years old.

For just about any scenario utilizing a shotgun outside of the clays games and bird hunting, you've already got them ranked by usefulness.

Yep

That's pretty much the correct order.

But, still...
I'm not buying any of them.

I lost the mall ninja side of me when I was about 16 years old.

Absolutely.....

I am interested in ranking for general purpose - home defense and range use.

For home defense, I would list the 18" barrel M590A1 versus the 20" version.

And I would rank a good handgun with modern ammo or AR over any shotgun.

I can’t speak for anyone... but I owned a KSG. Change out a few parts, and it is a nice shotgun. However, I got rid of mine. It is just too different for any real defensive use. If you want to mess around with a 15 shot shotgun, good choice. But for defense, my main issue is the magazine selection. If you put that switch in the center (intentionally or not), you are not getting a round in the chamber no matter how many time you cycle it... with it loaded to capacity. That was my main drawback. Other issue is that the controls are nothing like any other shotgun, so you don’t gain anything running it other than fun.

Mossberg... I’m more of a Remington guy. I had a 500 JIC2, which I got rid of before I tried the KSG. They work, but quality isn’t there (and yes, even with Remington issues with QC). Brand new shotgun, look down the barrel... you’ll see the threads from the bead protruding into the barrel. I’ve dealt with plenty of Remington shotguns... never saw a barrel along those lines.

I love the “firearm” setup, as it does shorten up the weapon. I love my TAC-14, especially with the folding brace. I’ve handled the Shockwave... only things it has going for it is Mini-Shells and the sixth round in the tube. The former is not useful outside fun (not trusting them, your mileage may vary), and the later is easily done with an extension and a swage (for dimples).

Benelli is a good shotgun. I personally don’t own one (as said earlier, Remington guy), but would recommend them without hesitation.

I feel ok with that list... might switch the two Mossbergs around, but from what’s listed, that is it for me.

For home defense - don[t worry - if actually needed, your adrenaline will be pumping so hard that you won't even remember racking any of them.

The shockwave and KSGs are basically curiosities or toys IMO.

The Benelli is a TOP TIER semi auto. The problem with semi auto shotguns is the variability of shells (powder charge, payload, Hull shape/length) all of which can play hell with even the best semi auto. The Benelli is AWESOME and less likely to see issues but is still susceptible to them.

So that leaves the 590A1, which with the 870(well at least older ones when QC mattered) is one of the finest “fighting” 12 gauges available IMHO.

Just my two cents.

I’ve been around a long time, and so has Mossberg. They make a gun that is cheap, too to bottom/end to end. They haven’t made a reliable shotgun since they quit making their bolt action shotguns. The price tag attracts new shooters, I know some who have bought one, but I don’t know anyone who has ever bought 2!

Back