Shotgun primers

Stuck, let me ask you, why would a 20Ga wad more likely cock in a larger 12Ga bore than in a 16? If the primer ignites all the powder, wouldn't that pressure punch everything out of the bore?

I'm not trying to make light of your recommendation; I appreciate it. But I'd like some detail on the thought. What's the likelihood of a smaller 20Ga wad getting stuck in a 12-Ga bore?

I started this post asking about old primers and their differences. I had two misfires with old CCIs- just "poof" - and the wads were stuck right where the choke begins. Either the primers were old or the powder wasn't ignited. I would think if the primers and powder ignited properly, all elements of the load would exit.

Does anyone have an experience that counters that thought?

Bigger bore, more room for the wad to go sideways

I am trying to wrap my head around why inserting a 20 gauge wad into a 12 ga. Tube would be more difficult (“observation that it had somewhat difficult to insert the wads onto the delivery tube”).
I wonder, as well, about the possibility of powder migration past the cup base of the wad. The other thought that occurs, should you choose to fire these, is that pressure is apt to be low due to the loose fit of the 20 wad in the 12 hull and powder needs pressure to ignite and burn properly.

Because on a MEC loader, the ram tube for the wad is sized to the bore size of the loader, so trying fit a smaller wad onto the ram/drop tube would be more difficult. I think you are thinking about simply pushing a 20 ga wad into a 12 hull say. by using your fingers - that would go in easily.

All sage advice, gentlemen, and I will embark on the task of sawing them all apart.

Your opinions are supported by those with whom I was in communication - Clay Buster Wads company. At first the reply was somewhat noncommittal, stating no one in that facility had ever heard of anyone mistakenly inserting 20Ga wads into 12Ga hulls with the recommendation not to use them. I replied with thanks and recognition they could not make a reasonable explanation without subjecting themselves to potential liability, as things go these days. Subsequently I received another email exhibiting concern to the extent that the writer contacted the Hodgdon Corporation (i.e., 800-X powder) and was told there was a chance for the shot to trickle down along the hull wall into the powder which would create a dangerous pressure situation, followed by similar advice that they should not be fired. 'Nuff said.

Back