Shotgun for youth

That "little" girl just placed 5th junior at the IPSC Shotgun WorldShoot in Italy. She is in high school now and she is an amazing young woman. I have been able to shoot with her, and a bunch of other female and male youths. Almost all of them shoot 12g. If they shoot 20g, it is usually for a year then they go to 12g.

My 11 year old is shooting 20g this hunting season...I have a 20g barrel for my Encore, but I am sure he will follow his 13 year old brother and move to 12g next year.

That is good but there not a thing wrong with the 20. My brother and I are moving to 20s after 30+ years using 12s. They carry better in the field and you can pack 1/3 more shells ina vest. I doubt upland game will be able to tell the difference :)

I got a 870 youth model because putting a longer stock and barrel on it will be easy and fairly inexpensive when they are needed in a few years.

It is good to hear people getting their kids out shooting!

For general purpose hunting, I agree there is nothing wrong with a 20g. When you move up to Geese, Sandhill Crane and some of the other big birds, the 20g is limited. When it comes to practical shotgun competition (and 3Gun) the 20g is also limited and the advantages of the 12g over the 20g are evident on the score cards.

Back