"Hey, let's hit the range."
Road-not-quite-kill.
Car breakdown.
Blackouts.
Riots.
More.

Thanks for reminding me:

> "Hey, let's hit the range."

That's why I also carry a small ammo can with a couple boxes of every caliber I shoot in the trunk. That way if I snag some guns on the way to the range BUT FORGET TO GRAB AMMO, the trip won't be wasted. (Happened to me exactly *one* time.)

> Road-not-quite-kill.

Where I live, dispatching a car-crippled deer would be the most likely actual use for the trunk shotgun. My CCW piece on any given day would probably be a Colt Pony in .380 ACP (it gets HOT around these here parts, so a big pistol is out), which might could make things even worse for the poor critter.

> Riots.

Don't know where Senor Coronach lives, but this one bears paying attention to. In NC, the General Statutes forbid carrying a gun during (IIRC, since I don't have the actual text in front of me) a riot, insurrection, or a declared State of Emergency (of course, if you don't have electricity to power your TV or radio, how will you know that one has been declared . . .).

A concealed-carry license WILL NOT cut you ANY slack here.

The last lawyer I talked to said the rule of thumb is to stay hunkered-down. Being on your own property, of course, would be best since the cops and National Guard will have been instructed not dick with you. But wearing a gun while marching down to the local QuickieMart is not a good idea.

If that sounds paranoid, well, guess you've never lived in a tornado/hurricane/flood/etc.-prone area.

I wish i had a pickup some days just to keep a shotgun behind the seat. ;)

But seriously the only time my 870 stays in the jeep is when I'm hunting anyway. if its in a backup role to my rifle (as in if i break my scope) It rised in a green plastic factory take down box (available from the sportsmans guide) with a 20 inch deer barrel with rifle sights and a rifled tube, Two five packs of 2 3/4 1 ounce maximum slugs hide in the box too. Its mounted with sling swivels so i can swap my carry strap (a leather sniper sling) from my rifle to my shotgun.

If I'm bird hunting i take a 26 inch vent rib barrel with a vest full of shotgun shells and a modified choke.

I've never messed around with side saddles and tac slings, but i have bought a mag extension for it.

Coronach wrote:

> I can see darned few reasons to have a firearm
> in your car *OTHER* than a *legally* carried
> handgun which is readily accessible to the driver

Believe it or not, your humorous "Campus Security" scenario really *was* a joke.

A CCW won't win you a pass on prohibitions against carrying a gun near college or school grounds. Better yet, you'd probably get a *stiffer* fine, since CCW folks are generally held to a stricter standard.

Officer Bumpkin Bob would be MUCH more likely to tag you for wearing a concealed piece than getting away with forcing you to open your trunk, since in many locales you are REQUIRED to announce your CCW status when approached by an LEO. Failure to do so triggers mandatory penalties, the least of which will be revocation.

"a hand cuff key can release it..."

So badguys with cuff keys can access it readily...

Remove that feature, and I like it.

Campus Security jokes...

Well, thats my point. You're far more likely to mindlessly do something hysterically illegal if you routinely leave a gun in, say, your trunk, than you do if you carry it on you. I kow quite well that CCW permits don't cover taking a gun onto a college campus. I mean, you're just a man looking for a bell tower at that point, right? :P

Scenarios...

Road-not-quite-kill _is_ admittedly a good one. I had thought of it, but to me it doesn't justify the effort/expense. Others disagree.

Car breakdowns:

I don't see how this helps unless you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the boonies and would need to shoot possums to survive. I mean, what are you going to do? As soon as your vehicle breaks down you load up the shotgun and hunker down in the car? When the highway patrol shows up to lend you a hand you'll probably end up having an interesting conversation.

I *freely* admit that it is possible to be assaulted/robbed out of a breakdown. I'm not sure how having a long arm is useful since if you need a gun you need it RIGHT NOW and that means you're either sitting there 'brandishing' (to use that favourite media term) a SG or its still back in the trunk/behind the seat...where you won't have time to get it.

Would I rather have it than nothing? Yes. But I'd prefer to have a pistol.

Urban Unrest:

Plausible? Sure. But again...if you have time to get the SG ready to play, you probably have time to exit stage left as well. Probably. Again, would I rather have it than nothing? Certainly. Better that than a pistol? In this one, perhaps.

When faced with an angry crowd blocking your vehicle, remember the words of the Bond Villian from 1 or 2 films ago: "Use bumper. Thats what its there for."

My main, overriding concern is the possibility that the gun is unsecured. Lets face it, how many of you guys that actually have a dedicated 'trunk gun' actually secure it? I'm sure some do, but most I bet don't- and just locking the trunk doesn't cut it.

Survival is about playing the odds, right? Okay, lets take that scenario of mine where BG ransacks your car, finds your SG and turns it on you, and place it against an urban unrest scenario where you actually need a SG to get through. Which is more likely? If you haven't clamped that bad boy down, I think the first is FAR more likely.

However, as I said, secure it and its just another option. And options are good things.

Mike

> You're far more likely to mindlessly do something
> hysterically illegal if you routinely leave a gun
> in, say, your trunk, than you do if you carry it
> on you.

Since you have cooled-it on the blanket statements, I'll back off a bit. But even this one deserves a response:

1) So if you have to roll by the local college, you'll first make a detour home, lock the gun in your safe, do your business, drive home to get repacked, then continue on with your day? Always? Golly. You're well-trained.

2) Again, if you foul-up, in many places IF YOU HAVE A CCW, YOU *MUST* TURN YOURSELF IN TO THE COP. CCW folks MUST conduct themselves like Caesar's wife -- absolutely above reproach. That is FAR more hassle than it is worth for some thoughtful people. It is a privilege, not a right (except in Vermont, apparently).

If you want to rumble your tummy at night making up nightmare scenarios, fine, but the repercussions for CCWs will sometimes be much WORSE, and can cause a LOT of problems where having a gun in the trunk WON'T. You want to make it an either/or, but of course it can also be a both/neither depending on your destination/mindset.

3) Depends on the local treatment of the "hysterically illegal" offense, wouldn't it? Where I live, I'd bet at least a few of the people on the jury would have a gun in *their* trunk. They'd be the ones turning red as they slowly figure out that it might be a major no-no where they are currently parked, over by the courthouse.

Huh.

So, this would have to be the first and only time I have EVER heard anyone on this board state that having an unloaded gun in your trunk is better than having a loaded one on you.

As far as never carrying concealed in a forbidden place, I would have to say "sure." Its not that hard to remember that you can't pack heat in the places where you can't pack heat. If recalling simple things like that is that much of a chore for anyone, they're likely to cap their buddy in the chest with a bunch of cigarette butts anyway, so there's just no helping them. :D

As far as me worrying myself with worst-case scenarios...LOL. Personally? I think its far easier to find situations where having a trunk gun is problematic than it is to find situations where it is useful. Now who is laying awake at night dreaming up 'nightmare scenarios?' ;)

If you want one, fine. Its a free country. It might come in handy. Mind the legality and safety issues.

Mike

Gotta agree with Mike on this one. I live in Montana -- the home of the Free(men) and the land of the brave(Unibomber). Things are relatively lax up here as far as guns go. And crime ain't too bad. But I rarely carry any of my guns anywhere. Usually it's just when I leave town, and mainly for putting an injured dear out of it's misery (I travel most weekends). I sure as hell don't want to advertise like some of the other rednecks up here by putting a couple of my firearms up in the window for everyone to see. Is it legal? Sure! Would I like to carry my whole arsenal everywhere I go? Sure! Would the effort/liability be worth it? Not so sure. I hope I don't start a huge flame here, but I've noticed that there is some corellation between the carrying of firearms and paranoia. I'm actually a lot less paranoid and worried about what everyone else is up to in this rat race when I am NOT packing a firearm. I have a friend that wants me to go get a CCW with him. I'm considering it. But, up here at least, I'm not sure how beneficial it is. This is a guy with a lot of steam to blow off. I'm afraid that one day he'll have an altercation with another motorist over some road rage related minor thing, and someone will end-up dead, and the other on trial. Anyways... just MY OWN opinion. No flaming needed. To each his own. Just wanted to weigh in with another point of view.

>So, this would have to be the first and only time I
>have EVER heard anyone on this board state that having
>an unloaded gun in your trunk is better than having a
>loaded one on you.

Well, aside from having never said anything remotely resembling that, I'd have to guess that your repeated assertions that a gun in the trunk at ANY time other than when driving directly to or from the range is a crisis worth wetting your pants over might win a few more strange looks, all things considered.

To steal a line from the movie *Heathers*: "This is Ohio. If you don't have a brewski in your hand, you might as well be wearing a dress."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back