Shotgun for deer hunting

Here in NH we have two zones, one is rifle and one is shotgun and handguns only. when hunting these area's i prefure my scoped Remington 1187 3 1/2 inch mag shooting Remington sabots, I took this 227 pd 8 pointer last year in shotgun zone in NH.

Rmouleart_77333.jpg

Rmouleart - Nice deer, regardless of what it was shot with. Well done!!

Southla1 & scotjute - I'll have to look at my hutning catalogs to determine the difference in the 00 vs 0 shot. Thanks for the tip to consider.

Snake

Snake, I warn you the difference may be great between barrels even of the same length and choke. I have seen a few 28" Modivied barrels that throw 00 just fine.............mine happens to like single ought. Pattern them to see. That is the proof of the pudding.

Have an ex brother in law that dearly loves deer and shotguns. His choice since popping that big 8 point wiht a 12 gauge 00 load twice and the deer running off he switched guns..................to a 10 gauge 3-1/2 Magnum :D. He loads it with a bucket full of 00. If the deer is in a briar patch he cleans out the patch with the first shot and the deer with the second :D.

Seriously he has never had one get away since switching guns, but...................... time will tell.

When I moved back to Michigan and started hunting deer, I found out that the lower half of the lower peninsula is shotgun/muzzleloader/handgun. At that time, the only shotgun I had was a Winchester 140 semi-auto that I used for years while bird and small game hunting and shooting informal trap. It had a 28" barrel with Winchokes. I found a scope mount for it and put on a fixed 3x Weaver, put the Improved choke in it and took a half dozen types of slugs to the range. I found that Brenneke's shot nice enough, around 1.5"-2" at 50 yards with this combo. Now, this isn't as good as a friend's 870 3/4" at 50 yards with the rifle sights, but it's acceptable, so I never thought about buying another barrel or another shotgun. Sure, the barrel is 2"-4" longer than a regular slug barrel, but I've never found that to be a problem. This gun only shoots 2 3/4" shells but deer have never noticed that it isn't a 3" or 3.5" magnum.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that just about anything could possibly work. A friend has a Remington 1100 with a 28" modified barrel with a bead sight on it. He threw a scope on the gun and uses it very sucessfully. Shop around and consider the possibilities but most important, fire different loads to see which the gun will like best and then stick with that load. Shotguns seem more finicky than rifles as to load preference.

Back