Shotgun chamber adapter vs rifle chamber adapter

True, but I don't think the hinges on most single shots are designed for those pressures. I know there are limits on what barrels could be attached to the H&R shotguns. Would an insert change that?

I don't have the answer to that. I will say that when I asked if a .327 Magnum insert could be made, Ace of MCA Sports said that it was too hot for a shotgun, however he said that the .32 H&R Magnum adapter was capable of shooting the hottest Buffalo Bore had to offer, which is considered a +P load.

Update, I received the adapter today, 2 months ahead of what is quoted on the mcace website. Here's a picture of the item:

adapter.jpg

The OD turning has rough tool marks and a so-so finish that I can't tell is blued or black oxided, but the bore looks smooth as glass, which is what counts most. This is a 10 inch adapter and it has one O-ring close to the muzzle, other adapters I've seen that are a couple inches shorter have two O-rings closer to the chamber.

I'm not sure what effect this will have on accuracy.

Anyway, the insert fits very tight in the 12 gauge's bore. That one O-ring is doing it's job making sure the adapter won't rotate in the bore while the action is closed and it also is going to keep the gasses from going back into the 12 gauges chamber.

I'll make another update on the .32 H&R adapter's performance when I get some trigger time at the range. I have a head cold at the moment, so this won't be for a week or two.

I played around with a 32 ACP adapter in a 30-30 single shot. There are a few issues with the rear loading adapter.

As noted, accuracy is so-so. Rifle accuracy buffs fret over differences of a few thousandths of an inch of bullet jump; the adapter supplies full inches of bullet jump. The long jump before the bullet engages the rifling also affects ballistics because the bullet has so much free travel that the pressure never gets a chance to build up properly. By the time the bullet finally does engage the rifling, the powder is mostly burned. This results in a dirty burn and I suspect that velocity suffers as well.

There are rifle adapters that put the pistol cartridge in front and have an internal firing pin. They are much more expensive and a lot slower to reload.

A shotgun adapter with a properly dimensioned chamber and barrel would probably be more mechanically accurate, but this would be offset by the primitive sights found on most shotguns.

any time youre dealing with a rubber o'ring, youre not going to have accuracy.

those tubes/pipes/inserts/adapters were designed for survival situations where someone finds themselves NEEDING to use a different caliber in a pinch.
they were never intended to be super accurate.
case in point...Vietnam, your gun shoots .556. fine. youre now in laos and all there is laying around dead enemy bodies is Russian ammo, and youre out. slip in the adapter and fight on.
or....youre in the wild west and your 44-40 is all gone. slip in an adapter and use whatever your 6 shooter is geared for. follow me?
plus, whatever the lock up is in the gun it goes in, also determines how accurate its going to be.
been there done all of them...since I was a survival expert in the navy.

today, gun makers are just re-inventing the wheel for a new generation to buy snake oil toys. god bless America. its what makes our nation great. we can do what we want...because we can.

Last edited:
your gun shoots .556. fine. youre now in laos and all there is laying around dead enemy bodies is Russian ammo, and youre out. slip in the adapter and fight on.
I've got to get my hands on that adapter, or even just a print:)

stuckinthe60s
....case in point...Vietnam, your gun shoots .556. fine. youre now in laos and all there is laying around dead enemy bodies is Russian ammo, and youre out. slip in the adapter and fight on.
Sooooo...............what Russian military ammo was 5.56 diameter?:rolleyes:
If you had a chamber adapter that could allow you to shoot 7.62x39 ammo through an M16 with a 5.56 chamber..........it would likely also allow me to fart diamonds.

I just got back from the range and shot the adapter I posted a picture of earlier in this thread. Long story short, using a shotgun with front AND rear sights, I got groups at 25 yards of about 1.5 inches.

One thing to note is the adapter shot about 6 inches below POA. My sights aren't adjustable, so the only way to get to POA is to mount a red dot on my shotgun.

Besides that little issue, I'd say it's pretty damn good if you ask me, I can't wait to try the adapter out at more than 25 yards. I'll post a longer, more in depth review of the adapter and the performance later.

I have several for military cartridges-7.5 French, 303 British, 7.92 Mauser, etc
purchased from a now out of business company. As note, accuracy can be so-so, as with so many things I wonder if judicious handloading would help, especially better bullet selection, a better bore diameter match, also a longer bullet . They allow for "gallery shooting" where use of full size rounds is not permitted.

your gun shoots .556. fine. youre now in laos and all there is laying around dead enemy bodies is Russian ammo, and youre out. slip in the adapter and fight on.

I've got to get my hands on that adapter, or even just a print

The "adaptor" is simple, dismount the 5.56 from your trigger finger and mount the AK or SKS that is laying around with the dead bodies and Russian ammo.. :D

Back