Shotgun cartridge potency. Increased over the decades?

Wow, guys. What a great set of posts!! (As always...)

PetahW: great stuff! Where did you find all that information?!

I will look at the VC bevel to see if it is clear which way round is which. I don't think mine are heavy loads, based on the information on the manufacturer's website.

If I have any doubts, I will postpone my test, but so far, so good.

I've owned/shot/hunted with both a Beretta Companion (12ga, though), and 3-4 different AL-48's (standard & magnum models).

As for setting the friction ring:

If you look at the brass ring, it has a steel ring on the outside that holds it tight.
As this slides on the mag tube, it hits the spring.

The bevel ring on top of the spring can be flipped for light or heavy loads.

If the bevel is towards the brass ring, it's for heavy loads - as the ring is pushed back by the barrel, the beveled ring will compress it making is grip the mag tube more tightly.

Conversely, for light loads, if you flip the ring so the flat side is against the brass ring, it just slides and does not compress.

Last edited:
I decided not to shoot anything today: still a few questions to check.

PetahW:
Thanks for the description, but my lak of knowledge of part names has let me down.

I took a picture of my internals, spreading them out along the magazine tube to be more clearly visible.

Looking at the brass ring, with the black steel ring over it, I can see more brass on the side of the bevel, and less on the side of the spring.
To my mind this means that the gun is configured for standard lighter loads at present. Do you agree?

Does the mag-tube where this ring sits need to be lubed?
At the moment it is dry.

Secondly, do you feel that a 28 grain charge in my 16 cartridges is too much for the little Beretta?

I hope not, as it is the only one made by that company so I imagine it is not particularly powerful... Thanks!!

Attachments

• Verney Carron Mag tube.jpg
    Verney Carron Mag tube.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 25
Your auto appears to be setup for heavy loads, as it looks to me like the bevel inside the governor ring (between the bronze friction ring and the recoil spring) is facing the beveled surface of the friction ring.

For light loads, the governor ring's opposite/flat surface should be against the bronze friction ring.

The magazine tube requires light lubrication for proper operation (gun oil).

Since I'm unfamiliar with the brand, I cannot comment on the shotshell load for your Beretta, other than to say the gun's certified for any commercial ammo - but may beat your shoulder to death with heavy loads, even though the gun itself may be able to handle same.

You'll certainly find out, the first time you pull the trigger on one. :p

OK, thanks for the input on the Franchi.

As for the Beretta, bruises heal, chambers do not, so as long as the gun is OK, then I'll grit my teeth and try it... :eek:

The numbers you found under the forearm indicate various barrel measurements .

18.6/70---This is the chamber diameter, 18.6mm which equals .0632", the diameter of a 16 guage chamber. 70 is 70mm chamber length.

16.5/17.1---16.5 is the diameter of the choked portion of the barrel-16.5mm which equals 0.649". 17.1 is the diameter of the 16 gauge bore-17.1mm which equals 0.673". The degree of choke is 0.6mm or 0.024". This equates to an improved modified choke.

The 3 stars is the European marking for improved modified choke.

I do not know what K and 0.775 mean

34 Grams is the weight of the shot charge which is 1.2 ounces in US terminology, a moderately heavy shot charge.

Your shotguns should present no problem when used with standard 2 3/4" or 70mm ammunition.

Well, that was interesting!

Having lubed them as best I could, I tried them both out and all I can say is "limbsaver please, Santa".

The VC Franchi 12G was set to "heavy loads" as per PetahW's guidelines. I reasoned that if the cartridges I had were light loads, the worst that would happen is the gun would not cycle, with no damage to components.

Clearly the Nobel cartridges were heavy loads because it cycled perfectly and left a gun-but shaped hole in my shoulder! That thing kicks!! Good thing I didn't decide to test it with slugs!

Then the little 16G. I was expecting more pain as it is insanely light (and the VC is pretty light too), but luckily the 16G cartrigdes were milder, albeit not mild!

So both work and both were fired today for the first time in about 40-45 years!!

Brilliant! :D

18.6/70---This is the chamber diameter, 18.6mm which equals .0632", the diameter of a 16 guage chamber. 70 is 70mm chamber length.

16.5/17.1---16.5 is the diameter of the choked portion of the barrel-16.5mm which equals 0.649". 17.1 is the diameter of the 16 gauge bore-17.1mm which equals 0.673". The degree of choke is 0.6mm or 0.024". This equates to an improved modified choke.

um......how does 16.5 mm equal 0.649 inches while 18.6 mm equals .0632??

18.6 = .732 which is a 12 gauge nominal bore size, 70 is the chamber length (2-3/4")

Back