Shotgun Barrel Porting Help Or Not?

Does a ported barrel shotgun help or not.

• Yes it does help.

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • No it does not help.

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Just a marketing ploy.

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 11 22.9%

• Total voters
Wow, make me want to get a Maxus.
Nice...not sure where this fits in to the argument but nice gun.
Because it exemplifies the overall physics of curbing muzzle rise. Browning has: 1. Reduced the recoil via their gas system, and 2. Reduced the overall eccentricity with its stock design. Both contribute to reduced muzzle rise.

Those of us who follow this forum know that BigJimP is a fan of guns with high/straight stock combs. The main advantage of these stocks is they give you a better view of the target. And, there's a secondary benefit, the high stocks tend to put the recoil and the resistance closer in line with each other (reduced eccentricity) so there's less muzzle rise. It's no wonder BigJim likes shooting them. There's a down side, the straight stock doesn't allow you to fine-tune by moving your face up or down a pitched comb, so Jim's stock fit must be right on the mark.

and here I thought plus or minus 2 or 3 feet was ok Zippy ...:D

I think you're right OneOunce ....but porting on a single barrel, break open Trap gun ...really doesn't make much sense ....but when the tooling is set up to put the holes in the barrel ...its going to do them all ...

Those makers do not just do something to a gun unless it enhances the performance expectations.

I'd say as long as it didn't hamper performance, A gun maker would do whatever they thought would make them a little more money. In the end, they're still businesses and making a profit is the top priority. If putting holes in the end of a gun sells a few more, then why not?

The noise thing really bothers me. I mean I have 2 ported shotguns and if there is difference in noise neither myself or anybody I have ever shot with has noticed it.

I have asked before, is there any real evidence available? One person has responded that many years ago his employer had a DB meter that he could use. He stated that there was a significant difference in the MEASURED sound from a ported gun and a similar non-ported gun. I asked what the difference was and the answer was, "er, um, I don't have that information anymore and I no longer have access to the meter, but it was significant."

Anybody...? I'm not saying it isn't so, I'm just saying I can't notice it. I will admit that I have a hard time hearing thunder these days, but still. How about some real measured evidence? Anybody have a meter and two similar shotguns, one ported and one not?

The noise thing really bothers me. I mean I have 2 ported shotguns and if there is difference in noise neither myself or anybody I have ever shot with has noticed it.

I have shot a sbe2 that was ported and one that was not and I have to agree that I nor anybody else in the blind could hear a difference, I know some people say that boss system that browning used to put on there some of there rifles was pretty loud, but I can't tell the difference with a shotgun.

Standing next to folks shooting ported shotguns while pulling or scoring, the sound is not only louder, the concussion from sounds waves is more prevalent - and that is with ear muffs on, not just foam plugs.

In shooting my own guns, the ported ones do the same to me, while the few I have that are nor ported do not.

YMMV

oneounceload wrote:
...and that is with ear muffs on, not just foam plugs.
My friend, you need to try some custom mounded plugs. The difference in sound attenuation is amazing. You'll no longer hear the difference between a ported and un-ported gun. I used the old Lee-sonic type for years, and the custom molded ones are a quantum leap better.

Zippy - have a pair - have had them for years. Got them at the old Shotgun News Gun Show in Reno......for ME, foam plugs work better, used them for decades...read some articles about the bones around the ear needing protection, so I use muffs - they dampen the noise better than anything except plugs and muffs. Mine do over 29db NRR, but I can still feel the concussion in the air - hard not to when you're standing right next to them....;)

HEY!...wife and I only went through a 60# bushel sack over the weekend.....

Zippy - a lot of folks like having more than one hole in the barrel - I do not - I have never seen or experienced any appreciable benefit for the increase in noise.....but that's just THIS old Fudd's view......;)

YMMV.............

If you look at someone while they are talking to you , does their voice sound as load as when they turn their back to you while still talking ?

The sound being projected out of a non-ported barrel is going away from you.

The sound being projected out of a ported barrel is going up ,back and forwards all around you.

Come on OneOunce ....man up .... what's a little deafening noise among friends .... ( Huh .. ) .....:D

I don't see much noise difference between a ported and non-ported gun / when I'm standing an a Skeet or Sporting Clays squad / not even a Trap squad -- unless you are standing mid-way down the barrel right next to the shooter / or the shooter swings accross in front of you ....( neither of which is good )...with a ported or non-ported gun.

I won't stand on a Trap squad / next to a shooter shooting a barrel length of less than 26" ( because that is obnoxious ) - or in a duck blind ... but that is what "double ear plugs are for" - the molded ones inside / electronic ear muffs on the outside.... ( I don't know anything about Oysters ...)..:D

ObamaShotgunWhHse_600.jpg.cms

I have a 20ga skeet that is ported. I can't tell that it does anything except it's impossible to clean the junk out of the ports. I won't buy a ported gun again. It does make the gun louder.

go to a craft store ...and get some cotton pipe cleaners....it makes cleaning the ports a piece of cake....( and the pipe cleaners are cheap ).....the synthetic pipe cleaners don't work as well..( in my opinion ).

I just cut the pipe cleaners up into some 3" segments with a good pair of scissors ....and toss them in my cleaning box on my bench .../ even when they get a little crusty ...they work fine.

Yes, properly made ports can help reduce muzzle lift. But why would someone want a ported barrel, when a removable compensator/muzzle brake is more versatile and more practical and would be equally, if not more effective, at reducing muzzle rise? Then there's the fact that ports will reduce weight, therefore increasing recoil. You also have to deal with cleaning the ports. Not to mention, a ported barrel will never be able to use a suppressor effectively. Personally, I'm not a fan, when there are good/better alternatives.

Just my 2 cents.

Back