Shot Trap with my Mossy 590A1

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate knowing the specifics of the game. Dave, my average is still only around 14 so no worries there for you yet.

After the 19/25 I shot a 17/25, guess I was getting tired on my fourth round. I try to be a generalist by firing a few slugs and buckshot shells into the hay bale plating area after every trap session. Which brings up the question of

How Do You Develop Appropriate Shotgun Skills for Using the Weapon as a Defensive Tool?

Regards,

Ledbetter

You're doing that now, Led.When you know the weapon well enough that taking off the safety during mounting is done without thinking, when one can reload in the dark, when the action is pumped during firing so "instinctively" that a semi auto has little or no speed advantage, most of your skills are honed.

For the rest, try some things from some of the older threads, I'll see if I can bring up one or two.

Ledbetter:

I just started shooting trap to develop my wingshooting and bunny-tail blasting skills.

The RO at the local trap range says that 14-15 is where most beginners start. ; )

But with practice and some good coaching from great trapshooters, you should be able to get to the 20 range.

I'm at 18-20 right now. There's a good book on Upland game Hunting that has the best target shooting instructions I've seen.

Find out whether you like to paint the target then shoot, surpass the target and maintain the lead and then shoot, or whether you like to snapshot in front of the target then shoot.

Three techniques, Snaphot, Follow Through, and Sustained Lead. Most trap shooters use the Follow Through or Painting technique.

If you want to be a good hunter and trap shooter, you should master all three techniques. Right now, my best is with sustained lead.

The difficulty is that is you started your firearms training with a pistol, leading is not natural - stillness is.

Oh well, something to work on!

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG

jtduncan thanks,

I guess I'm a Painter when they fly from side to side and a Follower-Through when they're flying away from me.

Regards

Back