Shot Placement for mounting a Squirrel

deerslayer303

All this squirrel talk has got me wondering. I have a BIG beautiful Fox Squirrel hanging around the house. And I've often thought of taking him to have a full body mount done on him. Now I hunt squirrels with a copper plated bb, and most times shoot for the chest. But its still a projectile and being as it is only .177 it still leaves a good hole depending on the angle. So my question is, If I decide to take him out and being it would be a full body mount (read all the hide used) What would be the best shot placement? How good are taxidermist at patching? I mean I have a few Deer mounts, but they don't have to use the area where the shot was placed on them.

I don't know if you can do it, but right in the eye with a pellet, or CB cap might work. Or if you shot him right behind the shoulder, the taxidermist may be able to patch it, or position the shoulder so it covers the hole up.

I've got some big Fox squirrels that live in my yard too. They usually hang out in and around the black walnut trees. I saw a really big one just last evening. I also saw two deer in my back yard yesterday evening. An eight point buck and later a doe. I see deer all the time in my front and side yards, but the back yard has a wooden privacy fence. It is about 60 yards long and 40 yards wide and I leave the back gate cracked open. Last spring a doe was nursing a fawn back there, pretty neat.

Used a 308 only dont shoot him directly. Wait till he is on the side of the tree and put one an inch above his head. It works dont know if its the wood splinters that get em or the concussion but you will have a dead tree rat fur intact.

Used a 308 only dont shoot him directly. Wait till he is on the side of the tree and put one an inch above his head. It works dont know if its the wood splinters that get em or the concussion but you will have a dead tree rat fur intact.

Its Probably a Myocardial infarction. LOL I just may try that.

I had a taxidermist contact me to save squirrel pelts of our Abert Squirrels and ship them to him. He told me to shoot them thru the ribs, or use a shotgun. I sent him 3 squirrels shot thru the ribs and he said that was perfect. If you mess up the head with a head shot, the mount isn't going to turn out to well...

Old story

Long ago when I was a kid I'd read about hunting squirrel with a .22.
The kid's dad would give him the rifle and a bullet and say "Go shoot supper."
When the kid got better, dad would say "Save the meat, hit him in the head."
When the kid got really good dad would say "Hit the tree right under his heart and we'll have the whole squirrel."

Squirrels can be fun !!!

Shoot him in the butt, then have him mounted sitting down.
Gees, why didn't I think of that?? ... Why ???
The only time I ever had a squirrel mounted, was when I shot a pure black one. Blacks are not as common around here as Grays and Fox. I had him mounted like he was coming down a limb and head up. I do remember shooting him in the chest and the results were pretty good. Later, one of my Nephews made a mistake of taking it to his biology class. Well, the mistake was not in taking it but chasing the girls with it, down the hall. ..... :eek:
I was lucky to get that critter back. Funny part is that I figured that was what he might do. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Box Trap

Simple....get a box trap and put some loose corn or p-nuts in it. Then take him for a swim in the creek........no holes, no blood, no problem

Shoot him in the butt, then have him mounted sitting down.

LOL, Thats funny right there.

On another note, I saw him again this morning, sitting up on my 4X4 Post corn cob feeder, man he is a bigon! But pretty as hell! I drank my coffee and watched him devour that corn cob. I just may leave him alone.

These were not butt shot, but they do make for some nice mounts....the reading squirrel is a favorite of kids and women.

bigsquirrel1.jpg

ReadingSquirrel.jpg

Back