Shot my Colt Walker this weekend.

John S " R.I.P" Ford watched somebody kill a horse at distance with the walker revolver- maybe he was shooting at the specific horse and maybe not. This is what is supposed to have made him remark that the revolver hit as hard as the .54 Mississippi Rifle. The Missippi rifle was being produced at Eli Whitney's factory and would later be modified to shoot miniw-type bullets of the same caliber. It got the name Mississippi because the guys from Mississippi lead by Jefferson Davis distinguished themselves with it.
attachment.php

This Miss. replica sent a 230 grain ball- in use in the Mexican War period 1423 fps over 70 grains of goex ffg. A great deal more energetic than the Walker or the dragoon pictured with it.

Attachments

• missdragoonsml1.jpg
    missdragoonsml1.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 167
In fact it was Walker himself who equated the performance of the Walker equal to a rifle at 100 yards and better than a Musket.

Steve

Well, took my Uberti Colt Walker to its first N-SSA skirmish this last weekend.

Took first place 25 yard revolver, first place 50 yard revolver, and 1st place aggregate revolver.

This is going to be my regular skirmish revolver, methinks! :)

Steve

It sounds like you know how to shoot it very well. I note that, in my book, I repeat the story about Walker wanting "revolver as long as your arm -horse-capable , etc" I know I heard it somewhere. I just don't know if it's true. Compiling the book, I gave myself some wiggle room with a discussion about the illusive nature of True Facts surrounding the historic narrative and indicated when the available data was questionable , I fell back on history as "we would have liked it to be."

I converted my two walkers to .45 colt cartridge before I ever shot them. I know, I know, I’ve missed a lot. Anyways, I had been shooting cowboy with them off and on for about five years or so. I shoot a smokeless powder with a .454 200g rnfp bullet. The guns have always shot about 6” high at 20-25 yards.
I have just started to get back into cowboy and this week am switching to bp. I had taken that commercial cast bullet and relubed it with beeswax and crisco and got 35g of dupont ffg in the case. I thought my point of aim would change but none that I could tell. I usually shoot gunfighter with one in each hand so there is that variable but I’m faily consistant on the high impact.

Last edited:
You must have huge forearms and very strong wrists!!!! :) Two handed (one revolver) is hard enough to hold 'out there' very long! When I went back to shooting my ROAs, they seem like a feather in comparison.... And yep, you missed a lot by not keeping them cap/ball. :)

Fortunately I have the ability to switch back to the original percussion cylinders and give the c&b shooting a go. .... That has been on my mind a lot.
It’s funny that at a shoot I typically shoot the Walkers 6 times, 5 rounds each for a total of 60 rounds. In all I may point them down range for a tremendously long time of three minutes. (30 seconds a pop). Usually it is my shoulders that ach a bit the next day.

Back