''Shorty'' revolvers, the market for them

Short barrels are ok for carry but for shooting nothing beats a long barrel but for me longer than 8 inches is too much.

I like both short and long barreled revolvers..... A LOT!

I'll admit that the longer sight radius of a longer barrel is typically easier for most people to shoot accurately, but by no means would I consider short barrels inaccurate.

They simply have their limitations like anything else.

Inaccuracy with a 'shorty' revolver at a reasonable distance can in most all cases be attributed to the 'jerk' on the trigger more than the length of the barrel.

Learn to shoot accurately with a short sight radius and imagine what you'll accomplish with a longer one. ;)

Took a new shooter out to the range the other day. He mentioned revolvers, so I brought a 2" Taurus 617t, 4" S&W 27, and a 6" S&W 586.

We rented a 4" L 686, as he liked the trigger on the 586 but felt the barrel was unwieldy. He walked out with a brand new 4" 586. Great choice.

He did not like the snub nose.

The 3" k frames are going out of sight as far as prices go. Evidently there must be a lot of demand out there. I recently purchased a model 65, and at 525.00 thought I got a real bargain.

I can imagine that a short-barreled 38 Special may have some merit as a concealed weapon..... But a lot of these short-barreled magnums seem wildly impractical to me. And actually shooting some of them appears to be more of a stunt, to me, than anything resembling useful. For example, the, "Mag-na-port 'Combat Mini' S&W M29-", in post #15, while it looks like a piece of fine workmanship, I would have no desire to actually shoot it. Especially not with real magnum loads. It's a piece of art. Some of these could even be dangerous to the shooter, with way too much horsepower to weight ratio. Some may sell well, primarily due to the, "cool-factor", that can be generated in the minds of the potential customers. Like the rumors I've encountered about how it can be fashionable at some Texas barbecues to wear a beautiful gun that is to be seen and perhaps shown, but seldom if ever fired.

Back