Shortest range deer you've taken

Closest deer was about 10 yards, with a pistol, stalking. Next closest were at 25 and 35 yards.

Closest big game animal was an elk, 10 feet, with a muzzle loader, still hunting.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask TXAZ

Out of curiosity, why do you ask TXAZ
Just curious, some hunters are very good at stalking and closing the distance on their prey. Stalking is something I remember learning in Scouting, requiring serious attention, stealth and cautious movement...

Like, Mxsailor who clearly closed the distance with a massive projectile, all before the deer knew what hit him..... :D :D :D

. Just curious, some hunters are very good at stalking and closing the distance on their prey. Stalking is something I remember learning in Scouting, requiring serious attention, stealth and cautious movement...

Yeah, it's not easy defeating the senses of a deer to get real close. But neither is judging the wind at 800 yards. I have more fun getting close. And I can rarely see more than a couple hundred yards where I hunt. So long shots are not very common.

close

First off, I've never shot a tame deer, ......ever!:D

OK, that out of the way, as a bowhunter, I routinely kill deer inside of 30 ft/10 yds on a pretty regular basis. On some, I'm higher in the tree, than the deer is from the base. My average kill shot is fourteen paces, and I don't pace a true, 36" / yard.

With a firearm, I shot a buck as it ran past my seated position at the base of a big white oak tree, maybe 12-15 feet away. He'd spooked a moment prior and I missed at about 25 yds as he broke. He was trying to make a cut in a rocky bluff, and I was seated between him and it. The vintage .44 Ruger auto carbine was the ideal tool for that job.

Does hitting one with my truck count? Lol

The truck I have now has killed 6 or 7. The grill is all busted up and held together with zip ties. The front bumper has an upward tilt, half of the air dam under the front bumper is gone and one parking light is missing. There's also a big dent in the side of the bed where one T boned me and died from a broken neck.

20 feet.
Sitting just inside the treeline along a field.
Thought i heard something behind me, so i turned around.
Nothing.
Then definitely heard something from behind me on the field side.
Turned, 2 does 20 feet away.
7mm Rem Mag, 150gr Ballistic Tip.
Shot when i saw brown in the scope...
She didn't go far.

I took a spike elk just before dawn on a very windy 1st morning of 3rd rifle season from about 25'.

Last edited:
If a truck counts, does a Charger? '71 Dodge Charger got one and the 2003 Silverado has collected 2, and 3 Elk. ARB bumper after the first deer, no damage to the front for the next 4.

Rifle on Deer, about 30 yards, pistol was about 5 yards. Both were surprised awake from a mid-day nap and popped up and just stared at me for the rest of their life. :)

7-8 YARDS w/ the 4th (fourth) arrow I shot at him. Cut the femoral artery in the left ham. Ran about 60-70 yards

Y buck caught whiffing on my doe scent sprayed on the trunk of the tree I sat above in on a branch and boat cushion (white pine)
12 ft below me is about all. Shot straight down thru the animals spine and chest just barely in front of its front shoulders. 336 Marlin 30-30 S-C. Year rifle made 1953

Right beneath my stand, which is a 1970's semi cab mounted 15' in the air on a steal frame. A large doe approached from behind me and walked out under the stand basically under my feat. Made for a very easy head shot with G17.
X = 2'
Y = -11'

About 15 yards
with my Great Granfather’s 7.62x51R x 12 ga.H. Pieper Side by side combo (1892)

I was stalking quietly down a trail and heard a rustling behind me, a big Wisconsin doe was overtaking me.

The Nosler Ballistic Tip in 30-30 brass and a powder puff load of Bullseye put a muzzle velocity of about 1200 FPS and a sound from the long long barrel about like an airgun.

The doe was hit in the heart and tumbled down a hill. I don’t think she took one step. The bullet, in perfect mushroom shape, was recovered inside the opposite side hide.

I remember it was right near sunset and after field dressing, it was a real grunt using ropes and mechanical advantages to get her on top of my car, as my pals had all left earlier.

Those Noslers will open up at very low velocity, even sub-Contender velocity. Good stuff for a gun that is over 100 years old. Nowadays, I’d use Trailboss powder but I’ve retired the gun knowing it’s last shot was for meat in the freezer.

Shot a deer at about 5 or 6 feet with a handgun. We were watching a treeline sitting on a trail just inside of the treeline. The deer literally walked up on us and the little buck at the back didn't go home with the does. He jumped 6 feet sideways when I shot, guess he was surprised.

About 18 feet. A big doe walked directly under my stand. She was shot in the neck with a round ball from my .50 caliber muzzleloader.

About 20 feet, I was on the end of a thick tree row, brother and dad were walking through it. About six doe came tearing out, ran right at me, I started swigging like I was hunting pheasant. I pulled the trigger and it barrel rolled dead on the spot. Was so close I just pointed and shot, was using a 30-06 with a 3x9 scope so all I could see was fur.

Back