Short vs Long action rifles

I would think a short cartridge in a long action would give the option of loading long pointy bullets without the restriction of a short mag limiting seating depth.

Thus the 6.5 Creedmoor workaround ..... also, lots of .284 Winchester custom bolt rifles were done in long action to allow this, despite the cartridge being specifically designed to work in the model 100 and 88 rifles ..... both short actions......

If you lay down prone and cycle the bolt quickly while looking through the scope you'll see what I'm talking about with a long action 700.

Never tried that ..... as a hunter, the prone position is almost useless to me: can't see over grass in most cases, and the deer are not shooting back.

"...A short 308..." That'd be all of 'em. The difference is a whole half inch.
Both long and short actions of a particular brand rifle(primarily a Rem M700 thing anyway), generally, use the same stock. The shooter wouldn't notice which is which.
"...loading long pointy bullets..." The bullet has nothing to do with it. Long vs Short is about the case length and the OAL. And the chamber.

"...A short 308..." That'd be all of 'em. The difference is a whole half inch.
Both long and short actions of a particular brand rifle(primarily a Rem M700 thing anyway), generally, use the same stock. The shooter wouldn't notice which is which.
"...loading long pointy bullets..." The bullet has nothing to do with it. Long vs Short is about the case length and the OAL. And the chamber.
You need to read my whole statement and then, heaven forbid, actually think about what I’m saying.

I would think a short cartridge in a long action would give the option of loading long pointy bullets without the restriction of a short mag limiting seating depth.
284 win (and its spawn) is a perfect example of that.

Not the case with my rare (oddball) Savage 110 LA chambered in .223
That was the "shooter's work-out while you cycle" special edition.:D Savage has a reputation for "modularizing" their rifles so that they can go either way--the net result being they developed creative model numbers which resemble temperature forecasts (and change about as often).:D I love the way they call their barrel nuts "short shank" (and is longer than the long shank nut).

stagpanther said:
That was the "shooter's work-out while you cycle" special edition. Savage has a reputation for "modularizing" their rifles so that they can go either way--the net result being they developed creative model numbers which resemble temperature forecasts (and change about as often). I love the way they call their barrel nuts "short shank" (and is longer than the long shank nut).

I actually don't like the action. You can't just drop a round on the floorplate and chamber as you will surely get a jam. If you snap a round into the internal mag than it will chamber smoothly. That being said you need to position the round correctly on the floorplate to snap it into the box mag. With a long action this is a pia unless you are looking into the chamber.

Kinda makes you wonder why manufactures made different lengths. I’m sure it would be cheaper to manufacture one standard length.

That being said, my next rifle will be short and lite. Thinking Remington model 7, .243 or 7mm-08. Sure, a short Action may only give you .5 inch or an oz or two but every bit counts.

When comparing a short throw to a long throw it seemed to me those long throw bolts especially the 700s have more sloppy'ness when pulled to the rear out of battery than short throw bolts. . Have two 700s. 270 and 1/4 bore. Both bolts are equally loose when pulled to the rear. Have a short throw model 7 and its bolt fit is tight to its rails when pushed into battery or pulled rearward for ejection its bolt feels like its riding on roller bearings straight & true.

Yes indeed.

Several folks loaded 308 Win cartridges with 190 grain bullets seated shallow for use in 7.62 Garands; M1 rifles are long action types.

The first commercial 308 Winchester rifles had long actions with a half inch spacer on the back of their box magazines and extractor ring

Last edited:
Back