Short vs Long action rifles

I've owned both for over 40 years and can see no advantage to one over the other. Everyone seems to think the short action is the way to go but I won't buy into that. How much longer is the bolt throw on a long action? 1/2" maybe.

Others will say the long action flexes more, I think these people are on crack. The bolt lugs take the force of firing near the chamber so I doubt the action flexes.

Less weight for a SA? Can't hardly be noticeable.

Long actions can be a pain with scope mounts and eye relief but nothing I would avoid. They make different scope mounts to compensate.

I love short action guns, if I'm shooting quickly I'll cycle the the bolt without dropping the rifle out of position, a long bolt comes very close to hitting me in the face, to close.

Not all short actions are the same, not all long actions are the same. The receiver ring spacing on all Savage rifles tends to be longer, with longer loading/ejection ports than others. A short action Savage is virtually the same length as other manufacturers long actions. A Savage long action is extremely long and can be hard to scope if you want to use 2 piece bases.

A short action should be stiffer and more accurate. But the difference is small.

A Remington 700 short actions loading/ejection port is quite short compared to other manufacturers and can be difficult to load/unload. Their model 7 is actually a shorter, lighter action, but with a longer loading/ejection port. This is because the receiver rings are smaller. The short action 700 is stiffer and will be more accurate, the model 7 is going to be lighter and a better option for a hunting rifle.

In theory you should be able to work the action faster and get off repeat shots faster with a short action. You move the bolt about 1/2" less in each direction. That 1" overall may not seem like much for just 1-2 shots, but If my goal is to get off 5-6 shots it does add up to a little less time. How important that is in the real world can be debated.

If you're interested in putting together a lightweight rig a short action is about 3-4 ounces lighter. While that doesn't seem like much a few ounces here and there adds up quickly to a pound or more. With a heavy kicking cartridge you want a little more weight to soak up recoil.

I tend to favor short action cartridges over long action so most of my rifles are short action. But that is more a preference for the cartridges than the actions. Tikka is one of my favorite rifles and they only make long action rifles even for short cartridges.

Point of view thing...to me "long" actions are for .375H&H length, STANDARD actions are .30-06 length and Short actions are .308 length.

Winchester only has one receiver length for the Model 70, used for everything from .22 Hornet to .458 Win Mag.

I guess they figured if a half inch of bolt throw was *that* critical, you should just buy an autoloader.

Having shot and had semi customs built on both, the only difference I can see is that not all stocks are available for both. As an example, you might find a given company has only a hunting stock for long action, but offers both a precision and hunting stock for the short action. Before you commit to one or the other, make sure the accessories you want are available.

I dont buy the "stiffer and more accurate" and "quicker to cycle" arguments. If there is any truth to them, the differences would be so small that the many other facets that factors into it (such as accuracy of the barrel, ease of manipulating the trigger accurately, shooter's talents, etc) would dwarf and negate any advantage you gain by going short action. Joed nailed it, his explanation is sound, IMO.

Last edited:
if I'm shooting quickly I'll cycle the the bolt without dropping the rifle out of position
I can do the same with my Winchester 70 in 375 H&H. It's not an action length thing, it's training.
A short action should be stiffer and more accurate. But the difference is small.
Theoretically, sure. But unless you are shooting prettty high-level benchrest competition you will never see the difference.
Not the case with my rare (oddball) Savage 110 LA chambered in .223
Not rare at all. Savage makes one length action, just sets them up differently for long or short cartridges.
Winchester only has one receiver length for the Model 70, used for everything from .22 Hornet to .458 Win Mag.
Used to be that way, but they now have a short action, a WSM action, and a long action.

It's not an action length thing, it's training.

Yeah, and if you get really used to a long action and switch to a short one, it really messes you up ..... vice versa is worse (short stroking) ....

I guess it would depend on the action. Take the Remington 700s for example. The short action is what, about a half in shorter? Actually it may be more than that. I have three Remington M700s, two in 30-06 and the other a .35 Whelen. The bolt throw is longer than my M70 Winchester .270 and if'n you check it, each of my M700s will allow me to put the .375 H&H cartridges in the magazine, it's that long. :eek: But people think nothing of that, after all, it the M700. All my serious hunting rifles are bases on Mauser 98 actions. The bolt throw is less than the long action M700.
Funny thing though, the length of the bolt throw has never, I repeat never hindered my in getting off another quick shot, should one become necessary. So, where's the beef? :rolleyes:
Paul B.

SA fires shorter cartridges--LA fires longer cartridges.

Basically this. I shoot short actions because I don't need the power of a long action to hunt/shoot where I live. If I lived out west, I'd probably "step up" to a longer action because I'd be looking for more speed behind my bullets.

Has nothing to do with cycle speed/weight/stiffness/etc. A short action fits all the cartridges I need. Simple.

Ps. I shoot one gun with an "intermediate" length action... because that's what the 6.5x55 takes.

Two things, if your cycling the bolt while the gun is still mounted a long action bolt comes very close to my face, I've hit myself a couple of times with the lower part of my right thumb.
The second thing is if you have short action guns you shoot throughout the year you get used to that bolt throw and can short cycle a long action gun during big game season if your shooting quickly-muscle memory.
Neither one of these matter if all your guns are long actions, you never cycle the bolt while the gun is still mounted or all your favorite cartridges require long actions.
I only own one long action rifle and I wouldn't have bought it except that they don't make it in a short action and it was in a cartridge I wanted.
It's the first one I've had in 20 years and it feels awkward to cycle the action, I'll dry fire it a bunch before the seasons to get used to that length.

Two things, if your cycling the bolt while the gun is still mounted a long action bolt comes very close to my face, I've hit myself a couple of times with the lower part of my right thumb.

Sounds like somebody cut corners to save weight on the stock .....

Will agree on the get used to a motion and when that changes, it messes you up.

I don't shorten the stocks, I'm average height. If you lay down prone and cycle the bolt quickly while looking through the scope you'll see what I'm talking about with a long action 700.

I would think a short cartridge in a long action would give the option of loading long pointy bullets without the restriction of a short mag limiting seating depth.

Back