Short-Range MOA

Group size is conventionally measured from CENTER to CENTER of the farthest apart bullet holes. The reason is that measuring the distance from the outer edges would automatically increase the group size for larger calibers.

If it is not easy to measure center to center, measure edge to edge and subtract the caliber.

Jim

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys! Unfortunately, I have already turned in my proposal it was accepted about 2 weeks ago. However, I believe I might know the answer to your question, 44 AMP, if it is as simple as I am thinking; is it because the greater amount of momentum in heavier bullets keeps them going in a straighter line? I have managed to tweak my project a bit to where I'm using a rifle and not having to make my own bullets, if that helps any. And I'll be sure to post the final results! Thanks again!

Group size is conventionally measured from CENTER to CENTER of the farthest apart bullet holes. The reason is that measuring the distance from the outer edges would automatically increase the group size for larger calibers.
which is why most people subscribe to

No need to measure MOA, just measure in inches. A group size is measured as the farthest distance between the outer edges of the two farthest apart two holes, minus one bullet diameter.

However, there is an easier way to measure "center to center". Take your measurement from the outside of hole A to the inside of whole B and your measurement will actually be "center to center" without performing subtraction of 1 hole. :D

What are your options?
I'm not exactly sure yet. I know a guy who owns a firing range, and I also know a police officer who said he would help, but I'm not sure. If you have anything in mind, I could ask either one if they have it.

Find out what they've got and what they recommend. The answer to "what should I use" will also depend on how far you're going to be shooting. Do you know the answer to that?

ETA: You're young, so I'll also add to be sure to be a "good guest." Offer to clean the rifle and put everything back nice and neat. That's a good way to help ensure that you get invited to shoot again.

However, I believe I might know the answer to your question, 44 AMP, if it is as simple as I am thinking; is it because the greater amount of momentum in heavier bullets keeps them going in a straighter line?

I'm not going to give the answer away either, but with regard to your hypothesis on momentum of heavier bullets . . . if you drop two bullets, one heavier than the other, at the same time from the same height, which hits the ground first? Or, if your gun barrel is parallel to the earth's surface (ignoring curvature) and you drop a bullet at the same time as you fire a bullet out of the barrel from the same height, which hits the ground first? The correct answers will illustrate one of the fundamental principles of physics and will also shed light on whether your hypothesis (above) is correct.

However, I believe I might know the answer to your question, 44 AMP, if it is as simple as I am thinking; is it because the greater amount of momentum in heavier bullets keeps them going in a straighter line?

Not quite. And it could be very difficult to answer this question if this is your first physics class (which I am assuming that it is). However, by then end of this project (or this school year) you will certainly understand the reasoning why this occurs.

What to shoot? The gun with the greatest difference in bullet weight.

The .38/.357 has a pretty wide spread. ~90gr. to 200 gr.

Probably a good idea to keep to the same bullet type; for example wadcutter, hollow point, lead round nose, etc.

It's not quite that simple. (there a little guy, seems to be dressed like the Cowardly Lion, hopping around and chanting "I wanna tell em! I waanna Tell em!!")...

A situation as you describe, does exist in our shooting world. (find that, for extra points!;))

But that set of circumstances is not the answer to my question.

Did you know that with handguns, lighter bullets will generally strike the target lower than heavier ones, with the same point of aim?

This would seem to be the opposite of what one expects to happen, but I assure you it is true. Heavier bullets move slower than lighter ones, so they ought to hit lower, but that is not the observed result. Why?

note the italicized word...

Good Luck!

Back